Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Got the word from Fred. My Duracell TOTL Horizon is scheduled to be shipped this week! Larry
I'll be hitting you up with tracking info shortly. :) Another unit also shipped to Cali today, but for privacy sake I'll let him speak up for himself if he choses to.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'll be hitting you up with tracking info shortly. :) Another unit also shipped to Cali today, but for privacy sake I'll let him speak up for himself if he choses to.
If it is whom I think it is, I am planning to visit him after he receives his Horizon so great update

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Reactions: Steve Williams

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
When I first ordered mine, Fred told me I was at the end of the second 30, IIRC. However, it could also have been at the end of the first 30. Getting old to remember details like that. Fred can correct me if I am wrong. Larry
It must be end of the first 30. Otherwise I would have mine (no. 50) already. Thanks for the info! Charlie

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
FWIW, ~No. 15 on NA list, deposit paid Dec 9, 2021, upgrading from Pacific. Patiently awaiting request for official finish type. I totally get others may receive ahead/outside of the queue. Nature of the beast. Just looking forward to receiving this now legendary, finite edition DAC and getting to know its sound. Thank you all that are sharing your thoughts on the Horizon, in possession as well as in anticipation. Keeps the suspense at a nice pitch.

Last edited:

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
i think the point is...for the price paid...and i have been a silent observer - seems like there are still tweaks that needed to be done despite the high price tag. If we buy a top of the line marque branded car - it is not expected for us to spend more on it to mod or tweak - why is it so different in audio land with price no object items.....shouldnt the tweaks all be figured out if it is already ? price no object?
Fabulous post. It is aptly named Horizon as it is an end game product
Must be relief for Lukas: he can close his R&D department;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Must be relief for Lukas: he can close his R&D department;)
Well there’s only going to be 400 of them. I hope you’re in the queue. It is end game for many users. I’m sure the dreams of something new are dancing in Lukasz head but the unit is so good that one need never look further IMHO

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Well there’s only going to be 400 of them. I hope you’re in the queue. It is end game for many users. I’m sure the dreams of something new are dancing in Lukasz head but the unit is so good that one need never look further IMHO
I have bought 3 Furutech projects V1 power cords . There are 80 made in total. To my ears nothing comes close (admittedly , I have not heard every cord ever made, but who has). However, the limited edition of this miracle does NOT mean there will never be a better one. Same can be said for the Horizon and Wadax. So… ‘never look further’ nah. That said, Steve, I am really happy for you. Enjoy our mutual hobby:)!

Reactions: Golum and dbeau

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Of course there will be more but the Horizon is so good that for many it will be end game
"Well you see, dear, this is the last DAC I will ever need....":cool:

• Haha
Reactions: PYP and Willgolf

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Regardless of SQ or spousal input, this is the last dac I can afford:p

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
As my spouse keeps asking when will this end?

• Haha
Reactions: jbrrp1

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
My history has been that I've spent my spare change on stereo reproduction as long as I've had any, since my first paper route at age 10. My wife has heard this and gets that it is a bit sacrosanct! Bless her heart, she agreed way back when (1987?) that "bonuses" were for my playing. I've loved working a business that believes in a significant element of bonusing in one's income....

There was one moment about five years ago when the numbers being spent seemed a bit dizzying to her, and she made noises of wanting to clamp it off. I pointed out two things: we want for nothing, so it isn't really impacting our financial security; and, if she truly were intent on killing something that I take such joy in....well, we might not be made for each other! She laughs about it now, because she does recognize the genuine element of joy in this all for me.

Charlie B.

Nov 8, 2017
Germany (100km north of Frankfurt)
Which input are you using into your Horizon?
Is it only source dependent or is there a clear sound hirarchy?

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
My history has been that I've spent my spare change on stereo reproduction as long as I've had any, since my first paper route at age 10. My wife has heard this and gets that it is a bit sacrosanct! Bless her heart, she agreed way back when (1987?) that "bonuses" were for my playing. I've loved working a business that believes in a significant element of bonusing in one's income....

There was one moment about five years ago when the numbers being spent seemed a bit dizzying to her, and she made noises of wanting to clamp it off. I pointed out two things: we want for nothing, so it isn't really impacting our financial security; and, if she truly were intent on killing something that I take such joy in....well, we might not be made for each other! She laughs about it now, because she does recognize the genuine element of joy in this all for me.
Now that is a bit extreme! Lol

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Has anyone compared the balanced and unbalanced outputs? I am currently running unbalanced so I don’t have a 10 ft balanced cable. I am inclined to eventually used the balanced output given the cable run length but the unbalanced sounds great.

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
@dminches I literally logged on to post the exact same question!! Yes I'm intrigued by the same thing.

Also wondering if balanced vs SE would change the equation of preamp vs direct.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
@dminches I literally logged on to post the exact same question!! Yes I'm intrigued by the same thing.

Also wondering if balanced vs SE would change the equation of preamp vs direct.
I am thinking se, in most tube gear the balanced is piggy backed onto the se connections, given the horizon run separate tubes for the balanced section perhaps that design is different? Do we actually have inside photos of the horizon at this stage? To see what it looks like on the inside?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I am thinking se, in most tube gear the balanced is piggy backed onto the se connections, given the horizon run separate tubes for the balanced section perhaps that design is different? Do we actually have inside photos of the horizon at this stage? To see what it looks like on the inside?

I have no idea how Lukasz implemented the balanced output so I am not ready to generalize.

@Lukasz "Lampizator" Fikus , could you enlighten us and give us your opinion of balanced vs unbalanced in the Horizon?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I don’t own one yet anyways but lampi has been making real balanced for a while now.
its digital has been bal as well.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing