Lamm LL2.1 recommended replacement tubes

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
I haven't changed the tubes yet in the Lamm LL2.1 preamp I recently acquired and since the previous owner wasn't sure about how old the tubes were I would like to replace them now.
When I purchased the preamp I had the owner send it directly to the Lamm factory shop to have it tested and checked and it checked out in great condition.

Curious what other LL2.1 owners have found to work best, how many just use the factory tubes?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Rich - I have confidence in the sound of the L2.1Ref as it comes from Lamm with no interest in tube-rolling.

I just left a response to the reply you sent me in your Tube Preamp Suggestions thread, so this will be redundant:

"The tube with the most impact on sound is the 5651. I suggest sticking with the JAN-Raytheon 5651WA which Lamm supplies with the unit (tubestore.com). They use a Sovtek 12AX7 and GE 12BE3 for the 12AX3. You can find the 6C19P/6C19? on ebay but I suggest buying those from Lamm.

For any power supply tube change with the L2 there is a procedure to follow for adjusting a potentiometer in the PS unit. It is straightforward to perform, just need a multi-meter. Lamm has instructions they can provide you, although there is a slight typo in those. If you get to that point, let me know and I can say more."

Reactions: christoph

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
Hello tima,
I do not have the L2.1 Ref, as I posted I have the LL2.1.
The tube recommendations from the Lamm website for the LL2.1 are such:

"What substitution tube types do you recommend for the LL2.1?

12AU7A:
12AU7, 12AU7WA, ECC82, E82CC, ECC802, 5814, 5814A, 5963, 6189, 6680, 7730, CV491, CV4003, CV8155
6922:
6DJ8, ECC88, E88CC, E188CC, 7308,
the following tubes are manufactured in Russia:
6N23P / 6H23? (cyrillic),
6N23P-V / 6H23?-B (cyrillic),
6N23P-E / 6H23?-E (cyrillic),
6N23P-EV / 6H23?-EB (cyrillic)"

I have read where the 6X4 is pretty much what you are stuck with for that tube, but many use different 12AU7 and 6922 variants.
Just curious and would like to hear from long time users of this preamp as there may be some other options other than factory... or... not.

I appreciate your input and love reading your reviews.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
What is important is the tube in the first amplification stage of the ECC82 / 12AU7, if you lose music information there you will never get it back.
My conclusion after trying tubes for over 30 years buy a Telefunken they practically the dyson for stored music information.
ECC 82 Smooth or Ribbed Plate they differ in sound as follows. Smooth plate has more timbres in the treble and midrange and voices, they hardly differ in terms of dynamics.
Ribbed plate more the neutral tube, the tube with the best dynamic in the ECC82 family.
Do not spend money on an ECC 802s tension grid tube - there is no profit compared to the normal types ECC82.

For the Second Stage ECC88/6922
Mullard CV 2492 gorgeous Midrange
Amperex 7308 all over a really good tube
Valvo E 188CC Red Label darker in toneality
Telefunken / Siemens CCa Dynamic King.

With the second stage you can adjust the sound to your taste as you like. Everyone has a different taste, of course. What I have written reflects my impressions. is not a generally applicable judgment.
I hope it helps.
P.S forgotten
for 6x4 you can take an EZ 90 from Mullard or Phillips Miniwatt is the same. It is more about longevity and operational reliability, not the sound.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My error for misreading LL2.1 as L2.1.

With regard to 6DJ8/6922/7308 family, I like pre-1970s from Amperex (US and Holland), Siemens, and Telefunken.

Do you have experience with the Philips ECC88? They sound excellent on conrad johnson and Metronome equipment - in my system preferable to the Telefunken's.

Testy Troll

Dec 29, 2015
BIG FAN of the Amperex 6922, 1965 “USN”, White Label, Gold Pins.
Use these in the output of my ModWright modded Pioneer SACD Player with great results!
I'm a big fan of NOS Amperex tubes from the 50s & 60s.
Not cheap unfortunately.......

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Do you have experience with the Philips ECC88? They sound excellent on conrad johnson and Metronome equipment - in my system preferable to the Telefunken's.

I'm recalling Philips Miniwatt 6DJ8/ECC88 in my CJ 'baby ART' Premier 16 LS - 6 of them and so sad when one went out. That was early this century. Sounding closer to Amperex if I remember. I loved that preamp (linestage) - now I wish I'd never sold it. I don't think I have any of those tubes left.

When I can find them (easier earlier, harder now) I generally prefer the 7308/E188CC for longer life. Fwiw I did a sidebar on tube rolling the 6DJB/6922/7308 in my review of the Lamm M1.2; that covers 7 tubes. My views have changed a little bit since I've acquired some older Siemens and Telefunkens. Each has its character.

The LL2.1 takes twin pairs of 12AU7 and 6DJ8 which means relatively low cost tube rolling even with top tubes. It is a fine linestage for a low price on the used market.

Edit: take back what I said about not having any Philips Miniwatt 6DJ8/ECC88. I have two. Will try them later today.

Last edited:

Three quid

Sep 30, 2019
What brands of tubes does the LL2.1 Deluxe come with from factory in each position?

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Late to this but I have been really happy with Brimar 13D5s (my favorite 12au7) and Seimans CCAs. The tube upgrade made a big difference for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing