Lab 500 audio issues

MACROSS

Aug 4, 2021
Hello to all! I have collected vinyl for 30 years but always bought simple cheap systems to play them on. I recently inherited a 1978 or 1979 realistic lab 500 turntable from my grandfather. It works well and is in original condition, I recently purchased speakers with cards cables but it does not play loud. I researched and it mentions needing a preamp and receiver. I am new to this but am looking for the best possible way to use this turntable on an affordable budget!

mvnaylor

Sep 23, 2021
Hello to all! I have collected vinyl for 30 years but always bought simple cheap systems to play them on. I recently inherited a 1978 or 1979 realistic lab 500 turntable from my grandfather. It works well and is in original condition, I recently purchased speakers with cards cables but it does not play loud. I researched and it mentions needing a preamp and receiver. I am new to this but am looking for the best possible way to use this turntable on an affordable budget!
The turntable looks great. Did you ever get it playing well? I've been working on one of these and the only thing I'm missing is the armrest. Any chance you would be willing to take some precise measurements of yours so that I could 3D print one?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing