LA or OC?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
What can you tell me about the hotel that is special?

It's gorgeous and fresh. You'll be amazed! Key members of the LAOCAS and LAAS who believe this venue to be the premiere place for this kind of trade show will offer a tour exclusively for you and other members of the Press alike to review the facilities sometime this year.

Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/two-shows-southern-california-2017#p0V9tgUSVgxMsBCP.99

Very encouraging news. $35mm hotel renovation is no joke.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
2 area shows is a joke
Manufacturers are showed out and will hate this.....

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I always wanted to go to RMAF but have doubts due to recent postings here, and that's a shame.

My belief is that both California shows are going to suffer due to their insanely close dates conflicting with Munich and RMAF and that is a bigger shame.
The transportation time lines and wear and tear on personnel will be evident.

So my guess is that the LAAS will come out on top one because of Bob and his 2100+ cronies but also that its is close to RMAF but doable for equipment transport time window versus the time line with T.H.E. Show being so close to Munich and the logistics that come with it.

We shall have to see as time moves on and the commitments unfold.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I always wanted to go to RMAF but have doubts due to recent postings here, and that's a shame.

My belief is that both California shows are going to suffer due to their insanely close dates conflicting with Munich and RMAF and that is a bigger shame.
The transportation time lines and wear and tear on personnel will be evident.

So my guess is that the LAAS will come out on top one because of Bob and his 2100+ cronies but also that its is close to RMAF but doable for equipment transport time window versus the time line with T.H.E. Show being so close to Munich and the logistics that come with it.

We shall have to see as time moves on and the commitments unfold.

I agree.Unless THE Show Anaheim reinvents itself it will almost certainly fade or be forced to look at other dates

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I agree.Unless THE Show Anaheim reinvents itself it will almost certainly fade or be forced to look at other dates

+1

It seems that the LAAS is likely to be the winner.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
If that's so, it's very unfortunate, as the dates for THE Show are much better (Sept rather than June).

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
For me, neither of the Southern California shows appear very appealing. Being close to LAX means you won't want to leave the venue, and that limits its appeal for me. If I want to go to a Fall show, it will be RAMF unless they fall apart after this year. I really feel sorry for the potential exhibitors, because right now it looks like there are no good answers.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I might just sit this one out. I have been wanting to visit my manufacturer out in Cyprus for a nice getaway for the summer than make the "wrong" choice

There really isn't a need for two CA based shows in such close proximity and within a few months of one another. LAAS is better suited to stay in the competition but I think there is going to be some fallout from this from a manufacturer standpoint and like the Highlander movies "There can be only One".

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yay. It's so much easier to fly in, take a shuttle, and you're ready for a show. I've done that, and many people do. Avoiding all the potential traffic is a serious benefit compared to some locations.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Yay. It's so much easier to fly in, take a shuttle, and you're ready for a show. I've done that, and many people do. Avoiding all the potential traffic is a serious benefit compared to some locations.
That would be my take as well, but it's not so good for the locals who would be expected to make up the largest percentage of attendees?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
For me, neither of the Southern California shows appear very appealing. Being close to LAX means you won't want to leave the venue, and that limits its appeal for me. If I want to go to a Fall show, it will be RAMF unless they fall apart after this year. I really feel sorry for the potential exhibitors, because right now it looks like there are no good answers.

Rob- just take an Uber to Manhattan Beach, Marina del Rey, or Playa Vista. all of 10 mins.

the Hotel Irvine was in a business/industrial park...it wasn't exactly Pelican Hill

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
That would be my take as well, but it's not so good for the locals who would be expected to make up the largest percentage of attendees?

LAX is way easier than Irvine for most of us. Having all of LA drive the 405 to Irvine in beach weather was a slog...SV and SG Valleys had an even worse commute.

fwiw, I have a friend who does pro-AV setups and he said the hotel is totally wow inside post-renovation.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
LAX is way easier than Irvine for most of us. Having all of LA drive the 405 to Irvine in beach weather was a slog...SV and SG Valleys had an even worse commute.

fwiw, I have a friend who does pro-AV setups and he said the hotel is totally wow inside post-renovation.
I do agree that the show itself should be cheaper and more convenient for me, and the renovated hotel's potential for good sounding rooms is somewhat exciting. But combining the trip to the show with visiting family (which I usually do), or getting down to Steve's for an evening, will be much more difficult :(

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I do agree that the show itself should be cheaper and more convenient for me, and the renovated hotel's potential for good sounding rooms is somewhat exciting. But combining the trip to the show with visiting family (which I usually do), or getting down to Steve's for an evening, will be much more difficult :(

Ron and I have actually discussed that yesterday and the answer is simple. Ron will host the party for the LA Show and me (if it's well attended) will be for me to host the Orange County Show

From this thread it seems Ron will be the busy guy

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Rob- just take an Uber to Manhattan Beach, Marina del Rey, or Playa Vista. all of 10 mins. the Hotel Irvine was in a business/industrial park...it wasn't exactly Pelican Hill
Keith, I also go to a show to relax. I found the Hotel Irvine a venue where my spouse and I could do just that... somehow, LAX doesn't elicit a relaxing vibe -- it could just be me. ;-)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing