KRK Rokit 6 (RP6G2) Active speakers.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
After auditioning active speakers from Audioengine, M-Audio, Mackie and KRK, I have decided to get a pair of KRK Rokit 6's. A good friend of mine in the U.S. (who works for a music supply business) is getting them for me with his employee discount. Most companies won't ship new product into Canada because of territorial rights, but since he is buying them, I bypass that hiccup.

In Canada they retail for $229 each. In the U.S. they retail for $199. I have been offered them for $140ea, so this is a no-brainer.

This is for my PC setup, and along with these speakers I will be getting some 8ft Mogami RCA's (already ordered) and the Asus Xonar Essence STX audio card. I hope to have everyhting in place by the middle of June, and I can't wait. My Shure SRH840 cans should sound terrific with the new card as well.

Although I am primarily an analogue guy, I must admit this little PC Audio setup configuration has me quite excited. I've just completed ripping my CD's and have a little over 5,000 FLAC files at my disposal.

Here's a pic of the KRK Rokit 6's----front and rear.

KRK 6 Front..jpg
KRK 6 Back..jpg

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Just a point of detail - the Audioengines are not actives, but powered passives. IE: a single amp per speaker cabinet driving the two drivers through a passive crossover. All the rest are actives - crossover before amplification, and amplifier for each driver in the system. Congratulations. I hear good things about the Rokits.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just a point of detail - the Audioengines are not actives, but powered passives. IE: a single amp per speaker cabinet driving the two drivers through a passive crossover. All the rest are actives - crossover before amplification, and amplifier for each driver in the system. Congratulations. I hear good things about the Rokits.

Tim

Hi Tim!

Thanks for filling me in, and you know what, I think I actually understand it! :) And, I've always wanted to ask, what are you using in your setup?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hi Tim!

Thanks for filling me in, and you know what, I think I actually understand it! :) And, I've always wanted to ask, what are you using in your setup?

Thanks for the interest, John. It's about as simple as it can be - I run a whole bunch of lossless files out of a MacBook Pro via usb into a Trends UD-10, which re-clocks and converts to optical, digital coax and AES/EBU. Optical goes to a pair of AVi ADM 9.1s. These are active monitors with an integrated DAC and preamp, with 200 watts for each 6" woofer and 75 watts for each 1" tweeter.

They have a power and dispersion that is pretty extreme overkill for the desktop near field configuration I have them in, but they are incredibly clear and fast and, to my ears, about as good as it gets above 60 hz. It all depends on what you're looking for, of course. I'm a freak for detail resolution and pinpoint imaging. This system delivers.

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for the interest, John. It's about as simple as it can be - I run a whole bunch of lossless files out of a MacBook Pro via usb into a Trends UD-10, which re-clocks and converts to optical, digital coax and AES/EBU. Optical goes to a pair of AVi ADM 9.1s. These are active monitors with an integrated DAC and preamp, with 200 watts for each 6" woofer and 75 watts for each 1" tweeter.

They have a power and dispersion that is pretty extreme overkill for the desktop near field configuration I have them in, but they are incredibly clear and fast and, to my ears, about as good as it gets above 60 hz. It all depends on what you're looking for, of course. I'm a freak for detail resolution and pinpoint imaging. This system delivers.

Tim

Those AVi ADM 9.1's are pretty impressive my friend! I have no doubt that with the Trends UD-10 your system does indeed deliver. Thanks for answering my query Tim!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing