Kondo Ongaku

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I had 2 ANJ Ongaku,bought,sold after 3 years and bought again and used for 7 years,then sold for an Audio tekne system
I listen many times from my friend the Ongaku number 1,the first made from Kondo,smaller than the normal Ongaku and only 7 made.
I compared at home 2 times ANJ Ongaku with the new Kondo KSL Ongaku and i prefer this one.

Who has,had or listened Ongaku?
Curious to listen your ideas

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
Hi gian60, I own an ongaku anj from 1994 and I also bought a m7 riaa from 1996, for me with the step up sfz it is the most beautiful sound I have ever heard coming from the black record. I also have a pair of gakuohs and a Neiro silver. I had and sold an m1000 some time ago (no mkII), I listened to a comparison of the m10 anj with the m1000 and I liked the m10 more. For me, the m7 riaa + Ongaku combination is unsurpassed in terms of naturalness, transparency and musicality, connecting an extra source such as a rtr directly to the ongaku (I have a studer a810) you would like a little more thrust and airiness. In what conditions did you compare the old ongaku with the ksl? what pre and what sources? Gustavo

Reactions: hogen

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Ciao,
When i had Ongaku i hadnt a preamp.
I had M 10 and Gakuon,M10 was fantastic but Gakuon i dont like a lot,little rolloff and mid bass too full
We tried 2 days Ongaku KSL and old Ongaku with Wadia S71,more simple to use and i prefer the new bacuase the bass more controlled,little more dinamic and little more transparent
but here some prefer the old product and some the new
I also compared the old Neiro Silver with the KSL Neiro,and i preferred the new.

My friend living 5 km from my home has Neiro Silver,Kageki,old Kegon,M 10,M77,M 7 and Gakuon,the first prototype with 845,production has 211.

Do you prefer Ongaku alone or with a AN preamp?
How sound Mt riaa,this never listen

Reactions: Guscom and hogen

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I had the Kondo Ongaku and AnUK Ongaku. both sound better with a preamp. I had a Kondo M77 and ANUK M9 at the time. To me the Ongaku without a preamp is not good.

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
Ciao gian60, do you live in Italy too? I listened to the Gakuon and I didn't like them too much, a little too "fat" and "dark" , much better the Ongaku. I have tried various preamps for the Ongaku but I haven't found one that goes well with it yet, I'm now trying a pre Dissanayake (don't ask me wich model ....) and an M8 anuk, the m8 "turns off" the Ongaku and the Dissanayake is a little better, pushes a little bit and widens the scene but it makes it a little too "hifi". The M8 anuk is great with the gakuoh (like the M77 anj I had at home for a while) and the Dissanayake seems to be made for the Neiro. I also tried an M7 Silver sound with the Ongaku but for me it screamed too much, I had the doubt that it was modified. the M7 Riaa anj is fantastic, M7 riaa + Ongaku is a match made in heaven, it's magic. When they are alone are fantastic but together are magic. I use a Ksl sfz stepup and alternate a Lyra Parnassus BB (which I prefer) and Kondo IOM. I'm still looking for a preamp that goes well with the Ongaku (for other sources but the phono source) , I liked the M10 very much but the prices of the few pieces that are around are skyrocketing. I think that one of this days I will retry with an M7.

Reactions: gian60

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
I had the Kondo Ongaku and AnUK Ongaku. both sound better with a preamp. I had a Kondo M77 and ANUK M9 at the time. To me the Ongaku without a preamp is not good.
Which Ongaku you had, Ksl or older one? Have you tried the Ongaku with M77 (Ksl M77 or not?) or M9 anuk? Gustavo

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Ciao,
i live in Italy,near Milan.
I am friend with Dissanayake and every 20 days call me
I had the 2 top reference preamp he did,very special and very good 20 years ago.
You can try the G70I,i think can be a good partner.
I dont like a lot M77,i found little dark

Reactions: Guscom

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
Ciao,
i live in Italy,near Milan.
I am friend with Dissanayake and every 20 days call me
I had the 2 top reference preamp he did,very special and very good 20 years ago.
You can try the G70I,i think can be a good partner.
I dont like a lot M77,i found little dark
Nice! I live in south Italy. I agree with you, I think that the M77 it’s a good match with the Gakuohs, not with the Ongaku. The Dissanayake preamp has separated power supply (red) and preamp device with four 12sn7. It’s a very good preamp with a dynamic and transparent sound. It’s a loan from a friend of mine. I don’t know which model is, I attached the photos. Do you think that the G70i is a good match for the Ongaku ? Better than m7? Or do you prefer the anj M10?

Attachments

• 6FA5B3CC-1980-4A47-B186-9EBA59614C96.jpeg
    6FA5B3CC-1980-4A47-B186-9EBA59614C96.jpeg
    467.8 KB · Views: 62
  • EB4C57E3-F1EB-41E1-9093-15F662783049.jpeg
    EB4C57E3-F1EB-41E1-9093-15F662783049.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 57

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Which Ongaku you had, Ksl or older one? Have you tried the Ongaku with M77 (Ksl M77 or not?) or M9 anuk? Gustavo
It was a KSL Ongaku although I would have preferred an older version tbh.K77 was KSL too. M9ANUK was with ANUK Ongaku which is a bit mellower than the Kondo Ongaku.

Reactions: Guscom

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
I have the Ongaku KSL with G70 pre amp. I have no experience with other Kondo/ANUK products but I have extensive experience with other tube amps. To me Ongaku is just another league altogether. There is no dark tubey sound, none of the typical tube warmth, and none of the typical tube lethargic sound. When I first tried it I literally jumped outta my seat, never knew tube amp can sound this authoritative. Even when squeezed driving my underpowered loaner Canterbury SE it doesn’t show any sign of restraints, I can only tell it’s struggling from the deepest bass.

Reactions: mtemur and Guscom

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Do you have original tube or change tube?
Which tube do you have on Ongaku?

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
I use GE 211, tried RCA and think RCA was too smooth making the music losing its texture. Telefunken on the rest of the tubes. I tube rolled right outta the gate, I am now actually curious to try the Shuguang that came stock.

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
Have you ever used it without the preamp? You get this feeling with the preamp G70 or even when it's not connected with the preamp? Have tried Ongaku with others preamp? Thank you for sharing yours tough.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Have you ever used it without the preamp? You get this feeling with the preamp G70 or even when it's not connected with the preamp? Have tried Ongaku with others preamp? Thank you for sharing yours tough.
in my opinion the Ongaku is a much lesser beast without a preamp. I listened to it many times without and although it is an integrated amp I would never listen to it like that. I think it loses its lustre and sounds very meh, a bit like driving power amps from a day or cdp.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
in my opinion the Ongaku is a much lesser beast without a preamp. I listened to it many times without and although it is an integrated amp I would never listen to it like that. I think it loses its lustre and sounds very meh, a bit like driving power amps from a day or cdp.
A local customer of mine who has a deep appreciation (and collection) of Kondo equipment would also agree Howie. He runs his Ongaku off an M1000 mk1, which was preferred over the mk2.

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Dito on @howiebrou comments. I did try the Ongaku without the G70 and I think it sounded a bit weak, even playing around with the amp volume control while connected to pre amp affected the SQ. I never tried it with other pre as I am a firm believer in same brand synergy between pre-amp. When I purchased the Ongaku my dealer also advised me to stick with G70 as the performance match for Ongaku, he said Ongaku sound worse with the upper tier Kondo’s preamp.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Dito on @howiebrou comments. I did try the Ongaku without the G70 and I think it sounded a bit weak, even playing around with the amp volume control while connected to pre amp affected the SQ. I never tried it with other pre as I am a firm believer in same brand synergy between pre-amp. When I purchased the Ongaku my dealer also advised me to stick with G70 as the performance match for Ongaku, he said Ongaku sound worse with the upper tier Kondo’s preamp.
Interesting that he wouldn't recommend the G1000. I used mine with a M77 which also seemed a good match.

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
Yes, I agree. I owned an M1000 (not mk2) but it was not a good match, better m1000 with Gakuoh. I have heard very good things about the g70 or g70i with Ongaku and was curious about your opinion.

Guscom

Oct 22, 2018
I use my ANJ Ongaku with his M7 riaa ANJ phono stage, and it's the best possible sound imho with vinyl, some say paired with an ANJ M10 (used as line preamp) it's a match made in heaven too.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
But you have the ANJ Ongaku
Could be the New KSL sound good with M1000 that is ksl too

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing