Kevin Gray's All Tube Recording and Mastering Studio

curbfeeler

Apr 19, 2012
Kevin Gray's All Tube Recording and Mastering Studio on Youtube

I found this video compelling. I trust you’ll enjoy it, too.
I first met Kevin Gray during a tour of RTI and Acoustech Mastering in Camarillo, the occasion being a convention of the Phonogram List in the LA area. Steve Hoffman was also in attendance as he partnered with Kevin at Acoustech then.

This from Don MacInnis prior to the event:
Tuesday, October 19, 2004, would be the best day to visit here.
If a direct to disc recording is made in Salina on Thursday or Friday we would be ready to run test pressings on Tuesday.
If all goes well everyone could leave here with a very fresh copy.
Most of the day would be needed for this event. Transit time from LA to Camarillo is 45-90 minutes depending on location and traffic.
Allow 2 hours for visiting with Kevin Gray and touring Acoustech including cutting demonstration and questions. An alfresco luncheon in the scenic RTI parking lot(weather permitting)will take another hour.
Then back inside to tour RTI's plating and pressing operations. This should take another 2 hours including question time. Add in the return trip and you've got a full day.
We are very excited about possibly hosting the group. Your questions and suggestions are most welcome.

Don MacInnis
President - RTI
Partner - Acoustech Mastering

Toward the end of the tour Don handed each Phonogram guest a heavy vinyl record with blank labels in a plain white sleeve. He said that he didn’t want to see them on ebay the next day. These were test pressings done at RTI of the mastering done by Doug Sax for the 30th Anniversary release of Dark side of the Moon. I believe Kevin was involved in the mastering as well.
So those gift LPs are arguably the best mastering and pressing of DSOTM extant.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Kevin Gray's All Tube Recording and Mastering Studio on Youtube

I found this video compelling. I trust you’ll enjoy it, too.
I first met Kevin Gray during a tour of RTI and Acoustech Mastering in Camarillo, the occasion being a convention of the Phonogram List in the LA area. Steve Hoffman was also in attendance as he partnered with Kevin at Acoustech then.

This from Don MacInnis prior to the event:
Tuesday, October 19, 2004, would be the best day to visit here.
If a direct to disc recording is made in Salina on Thursday or Friday we would be ready to run test pressings on Tuesday.
If all goes well everyone could leave here with a very fresh copy.
Most of the day would be needed for this event. Transit time from LA to Camarillo is 45-90 minutes depending on location and traffic.
Allow 2 hours for visiting with Kevin Gray and touring Acoustech including cutting demonstration and questions. An alfresco luncheon in the scenic RTI parking lot(weather permitting)will take another hour.
Then back inside to tour RTI's plating and pressing operations. This should take another 2 hours including question time. Add in the return trip and you've got a full day.
We are very excited about possibly hosting the group. Your questions and suggestions are most welcome.

Don MacInnis
President - RTI
Partner - Acoustech Mastering

Toward the end of the tour Don handed each Phonogram guest a heavy vinyl record with blank labels in a plain white sleeve. He said that he didn’t want to see them on ebay the next day. These were test pressings done at RTI of the mastering done by Doug Sax for the 30th Anniversary release of Dark side of the Moon. I believe Kevin was involved in the mastering as well.
So those gift LPs are arguably the best mastering and pressing of DSOTM extant.
Thanks for sharing!! The video was a sight for sore eyes. It's funny that vacuum tubes are older than me who is a 50 year old British guy, a veteran of audio.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing