JM Lab Grande Utopia first generation

VQ1310

Jan 28, 2021
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a pair of first generation JM Lab Grande Utopia's manufactured in 1998. I read in an early review that the only tone control for them is a jumper wire located behind the access plate on the back of the upper 11" woofer box. Focal no longer has even an electronic version of speaker manual and the North American distributor does not know which position of the jumper is the +1 dB position and which is the 0 dB position. Can anyone help?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
On behalf of the members welcome to WBF.
I am not sure this is the right model but you might want to give it a peek.

VQ1310

Jan 28, 2021
Thank you Gregadd, the manual is for the third generation of the Grande Utopia with the EM bass driver. Focal also place the jumpers for this speaker on the external rear of the speaker. I have attached the photo that the North American distributor sent to me, but even they don't know which position of the jumper is which. The jumper is visible in the mid-upper left hand corner of the photo. JMLGU_Xover.JPG

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a pair of first generation JM Lab Grande Utopia's manufactured in 1998. I read in an early review that the only tone control for them is a jumper wire located behind the access plate on the back of the upper 11" woofer box. Focal no longer has even an electronic version of speaker manual and the North American distributor does not know which position of the jumper is the +1 dB position and which is the 0 dB position. Can anyone help?
Have you tried listening ? Those early telar tweeters probably need the lowest settings with modern equipment ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The position identification will be easy to carry when playing white noise and monitoring the spectra with a mobile phone RTA analyzer application. Many easily available CDs include tracks of white noise. In the good old days we would use FM interstation noise for this task!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Obviously I do not know the answer. Somebody does. Some manufacturers view their schematics as proprietary and will not release them, You may have to contact the factory.
As the members suggested there are other ways to make adjustments. Listening off axis. Room placement and treatment. Or more drastic a parametric equalizer. Take my advice and don't fool around in there until you are sure what you're doing.

VQ1310

Jan 28, 2021
Thank you all for the insight. I noticed a difference in sound when I swapped out my ML 333.5 for a pair of ML 33H's that I just had rebuilt. The overall sound improved drastically in every aspect, but the vocals and upper frequency "presence" moved forward in the soundstage. I was hoping that someone on the forum would know which position of the jumpers is which, as the 1 inch thick access plates have welded themselves to the rubber seals over the last 20 plus years and are a bear to remove. Later versions of the Grande Utopia are well documented, but neither Focal nor the North American distributor has any information on these speakers other than old copies of brochures, which I have, but do not go into any detail of the inner workings of the speakers. However, it may be that the vastly increased fidelity of the sonics of the 33H's vice the 333.5 (recapped a year ago) have just highlighted potential cable matching issues previously hidden. Thank you all again, and I welcome any further advice.

Version3

Sep 5, 2021
The top jumper position is medium. The bottom would be brighter. No jumper installed would be lowest position.

Version3

Sep 5, 2021
Also, I had to have custom steel handles manufactured and a steel bar to pull those plates off. I am not sure how you could possibly remove them without damaging the cabinets.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211029-221933_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-221933_Gallery.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20211029-221942_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-221942_Gallery.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20211029-221948_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-221948_Gallery.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20211029-221937_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-221937_Gallery.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 15

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing