Jbl 4350 awx bass issue / related to speaker stand isolation issue. Need some advise ! : )

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
Hey'all !!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week (trying to be optimistic here) Since nowadays we have more time to listen to the system , I started being very critical of my JBL 4350's bass performance, when playing Piano Sonata , most jazz its really good, but when I am listening to bass heavy tracks , the bass just doesn't " sink " its almost like the excursion of the dual 15" woofer are limited, tried all different test, and it is going down easily 32 hz flat, and the system is DIRAC with DATASAT driven by a BOULDER 2060 ,,, so it really " technically " should sound like a torpedo has exploded in your room, however
the bass is there somehow but disappears too fast in a lot track , and doesn't " sink " and flood the floor if you know what I am trying to explain.

Now all technical tuning side aside, I have been thinking if it could be the isolation of the Speaker itself. ?!!
I do have another sub working behind the 4350 , and those are working great so it made the woofer on the 4350 sound really not working.. lol

I am currently using 2 TACO speaker stand to bring the 4350 up to ear height with the tweeter and then between the speaker I am using the HRS nimbus system , and just TACO metal stand directly touching the wood floor ( raised foundation) , but I am wondering if there are better options for the 4350 that our fellow JBL experts has tried in the past that will help with the bass performance.

Any advice is highly appreciated , thank you again all for your time !

stay healthy and stay safe !

Attachments

• DSCF0739.jpg
    DSCF0739.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0711.jpeg
    DSCF0711.jpeg
    707.3 KB · Views: 14

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
So many reasons

1. try turning subwoofer off and see if better could be be cancelling woofer, if better try reversing polarity
2. room mode try putting subwoofer in same place and see if same effect
3. move around the room with subwoofer is off and see if bass is better in certain parts of room, if yes consider moving listening position
4. distance to side walls, may be cancelling low frequencies consider moving speakers
5 . Floor bounce better elevated, try thick rug in front of woofers
6. distance to back wall, may be reflecting back and cancelling forward wave, either pull out or push back speakers till bass fills

Reactions: tima and jackson_k

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
So many reasons

1. try turning subwoofer off and see if better could be be cancelling woofer, if better try reversing polarity
2. room mode try putting subwoofer in same place and see if same effect
3. move around the room with subwoofer is off and see if bass is better in certain parts of room, if yes consider moving listening position
4. distance to side walls, may be cancelling low frequencies consider moving speakers
5 . Floor bounce better elevated, try thick rug in front of woofers
6. distance to back wall, may be reflecting back and cancelling forward wave, either pull out or push back speakers till bass fills
Actually I think you are right , it might be the room mode, but what is the best way to know how much back or forth do I need to move the speakers to make it sound right ?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
One Way is use a recording with running bass
then starting moving forward and back or sideways , tthe most common issue are the side walls as these if at wrong distance can cancel the mid bass

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
Is there like a software that we can calculate it ? I have a feeling its the side walls, however , I don't have much choice to move them around,.... lets see what we can do ,but man these are common issue I guess with LARGER speakers right?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Is there like a software that we can calculate it ? I have a feeling its the side walls, however , I don't have much choice to move them around,.... lets see what we can do ,but man these are common issue I guess with LARGER speakers right?
Yep more bass more issues, you could experiment by putting some padding pillows, or acoustic panels on the wall and first reflection point

yes there is software here is a simple one http://www.cardas.com/speaker_placement.php

oldhvymec

VIP/Donor
Mar 25, 2022
If I remember correctly JBLs are wired out of phase or at least to a degree. The first thing I would do is distribute or position the lower frequency sub further away from the mains. After a listen and using a simple DB hand held will work. You may need to reverse phase on the sub if it doesn't have a phase option. You can use test tones to get and idea and either mechanically EQ the room (I use 8 helmholtz adjustable traps) fixed passive treatment and my final adjustment (mechanically) is heavy full length acoustic 1/2 width curtains. If want to liven the room, I open and close the curtains for less. I'm using full blown bass correction in my system from 1-300hz and OB servo control from 100hz down. All of the bass is 100% adjustable. I've never heard better. It's EASY to learn and do.

I'm NOT a big fan of the studio look AT ALL.. Gothic Art Deco and Art Nouveau are more my style.

Mechanical EQ the room first and use simple tone control, GEQ or PEQ. Leave 300hz and above to passive XO control and passive acoustic control. Like curtains rugs, traps or the lack of..

I always look at the source if things change from one type of music to the next. How it's played back and the source material is always in question for me. I still use 78s at Christmas. :).

My best in your quest....

Regards

Reactions: jackson_k

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing