It’s Mr. C

MrC.

Feb 16, 2019
Music lover and audiofool hailing from god’s own land of Brooklyn, New York. After much wasted time and money I am down to all tube electronics and only vinyl as a source for listening. The best audio lesson ever delivered in the form of a question was from the proprietor of Leeds electronics who, when I commented I was thinking of changing something around asked me what was wrong or lacking in my system. I had to admit that there was nothing I could point to and he asked then why would I change it? My money now goes to select vinyl.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I saw the You Tube video of the Leeds proprietor made by Stereophile. Very interesting. I liked the part where he said he didn't change his equipment and became 'retired' as far as the endless cycle of audiophile upgrades when he knew it would never be like live music or something to that effect. He said he kept his drum kit in a room around the store. When audiophiles said their systems were 'real' he would take them back and give 'em a few whacks and cymbal shots to remind them that stereos have to date never been able to do 'real'.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome, Mr. C!

I happen to be tubes and vinyl only as well.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks for introducing yourself & welcome to the forum MrC. Hope you enjoy your time here :).

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Tubes, (horns) and vinyl only here too.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Welcome to What’s Best Forum Mr. C, I am into buying more music too. :cool:

MrC.

Feb 16, 2019
Jazz, Classical, ...?
Lots and lots of jazz. Little classical and mostly quartets or arias as I don’t like to be hearing a compacted orchestra coming through my speakers. I live in New York so if I want to hear opera I can buy a ticket. Late sixties and seventies rock. I have every album from every rock band I like and now concentrate on finding Indian records from EMI, acid rock or ambient with interesting combos or rock bands from Europe that I had not earlier heard or considered. I’ve been searching for a record I heard which was an avant-garde classical piece I heard at a music store but which the guy behind the counter refused to sell and the store closed before I could get its name. It was a clarinet quartet or quintet playing in a semi constant drone that sounded like modern day electronic drone music. It’s always the one that got away.

Reactions: NorthStar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mr.C, can I suggest (if you haven't already), you find Stomo Yamashta "Go" on Island Records, from 1976.

Are you digging Miles Davis 70s electric jazz lps?

And prog gems like Magma?

Check out the tv and film soundtracks of James Cameron, a totally underappreciated genius.

You have no interest in streaming? There is an awful lot out there not on 33.333 rpm.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
The best audio lesson ever delivered in the form of a question was from the proprietor of Leeds electronics who, when I commented I was thinking of changing something around asked me what was wrong or lacking in my system. I had to admit that there was nothing I could point to and he asked then why would I change it?
Wise council regardless of one's equipment choices.

Reactions: NorthStar

MrC.

Feb 16, 2019
Mr.C, can I suggest (if you haven't already), you find Stomo Yamashta "Go" on Island Records, from 1976.

Are you digging Miles Davis 70s electric jazz lps?

And prog gems like Magma?

Check out the tv and film soundtracks of James Cameron, a totally underappreciated genius.

You have no interest in streaming? There is an awful lot out there not on 33.333 rpm.
Thanks for the suggestions. I like Miles Davis from the 50’s and 60’s but what he became in the 70’s is not to my taste. I have a lot of Modern Jazz Quartet and Cal Tjader. If you are looking for the more eclectic might I suggest Paul Horne from the Taj Mahal or Pharoh Saunders, if you like sax. If you like the really abstract, the Frank Wright trio is worth a listen. A modern jazz group I like are the Sunwatchers, though the quality of their recordings is not necessarily the best. If you can catch one of their live dates it would be worth a drive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing