Is there a match between Magico Speakers ( particularly M6 ) and Tube Amps?.

jorgemarte

Aug 22, 2019
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Almost all the reviews published regarding Magico speakers, have been limited to Solid State amplification. JV even got to state that he did not recommend tubes with the M3s or M6s. Any experience to share on this topic?
Comments will be most welcome.

willgall

Jun 12, 2011
Thanks for your prompt reply. I have VAC 450 Statement. What do you think?.
I had VAC 450 monoblocks that I used with Magico Q5's, which present a more challenging load then the M6. In a 30" x 16' x 9' room, at 90+ dB volumes, the amps could run out of headroom and lose their high frequency smoothness. I also heard the first version of the D'Agostino monoblocks have issues driving the Q5's.

Bill

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Its not only Magico anymore , the bigger wilson models are even worse these days .
I dont understand why they do it , first of all you exclude a whole bunch of very interesting amp designs .
Secondly i always have the impression you lose some agility / instant dynamics no matter how much power you put behind it .

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Reactions: HenryD

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Driving my A5 with Octave V80 SE. Sublime :)
My dealer pairs Magico with Octave, including the Jubilee Mono SE, and says it "sounds like chocolate" ... ... he loves the sound though I haven't heard it personally

Reactions: andromedaaudio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anyone interested in this should visit Rhapsody. At his place you can hear Magico with SETs, push pulls, and SS. I have heard with Kagura and Jadis 200 and Vitus there, and have also heard tubes and SS in other places. Imo SS is the best way for Magico. As to which SS, depends on your budget and taste, it will be all the standard suspects debated everywhere

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have MPros (very similar to M6) and easily drove them with CAT JL7 monos.

Reactions: jeff1225

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes and if you use push pull amps, please try SS preamps like Soulution, Dart, CH, or Spectral

caesar

May 30, 2010
What's your budget? And do you have good ventilation? In addition to CAT, I'm sure Jadis 500s will drive them also. :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have MPros (very similar to M6) and easily drove them with CAT JL7 monos.
Id love to hear your set up .
Do a bit of CAT - CH switching
On a personal level i ve only liked magicos with tubes.
I suppose it dampens the berylium dome somewhat as well.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Id love to hear your set up .
Do a bit of CAT - CH switching
On a personal level i ve only liked magicos with tubes.
I suppose it dampens the berylium dome somewhat as well.
Fly on over!

Reactions: andromedaaudio

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Magico speakers and Lamm amplifiers sound better than nice together. They are synergistic.
I assume you mean Lamm's hybrid models?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing