Is it 'Live' or is it Genesis?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Every time a knowledgeable audiophile tells me how true to life a recording sounds, or how a system lacks warmth, or how it has a brittle top, I think to myself - how does he know?? Was he really sitting in the audience at the recording session? Does he know what microphones the recording engineer used? Does he have an absolute reference?

Here is an album that IMHO should be in the toolkit of every audiophile - for its natural and accurate sound. It's not warm, it's not bright, it's just plain accurate. A true reference-quality recording!!

Lyn Stanley International Recording Artist was kind enough to grace the Genesis room at the recent California Audio Show. She brought along the Master Tape of her forthcoming album Potions of the 50s with her to introduce. She not only introduced each song on the album with interesting anecdotes and information about the recording, she sang along to quite a few of them!!!

The album was recorded on analog - except that for us audiophiles, she put in two ringers! One song was recorded entirely in Protools, and another is a hybrid with some tracks recorded in analog and others in Protools. Everything was then put on 2-inch multi-track, and mixed in analog. Bernie Grundman did the mastering to 1/2-inch master - also completely in analog.

We did a video, and even over YouTube, the recorded voice and the un-mic'ed and un-amplified singer sounded exactly the same. As Lyn said, the instrumentation sounded to her exactly like what she heard during the recording sessions. Since most of the tracks were done in only one take, even the emotion and feeling of the performance comes across nicely. For the audience, we were not in the studio (Capitol Studio A by the way) and so we cannot know for sure that the recording of the instruments is accurate, and we do not know what mics were used.

However, we have to believe that if we cannot distinguish between the recorded voice and the 'Live' voice, it's gotta be close. Lyn told us that her voice was recorded using a vintage Neumann U47 microphone that was in the archives of Capitol Studios - it was the exact same microphone that Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole used.

One of my design goals for Genesis is that all my products should "Do No Wrong". If the music is warm, you should hear it as warm. If it is brightly-recorded, it should sound bright. You should be hearing what the musicians intended.
If you prefer a warm-sounding system, by all means go ahead! Insert a warm-sounding tube preamp and the system will sound warm. All the time.

I have a friend who will put chilli sauce on everything he eats - he loves the warmth that chilli brings to the food. It is what he is used to and can't do without.

I, on the other hand, prefer to taste the sea when I get a freshly shucked oyster just plucked from the clear, clean waters off Seattle. Not even a squeeze of lemon necessary in that case. However, if the oyster is less than fresh, then I mix up eggs, arrowroot flour and fish sauce, and scramble up a Singaporean Or-Luak (oyster omelet) served with chilli sauce.

Here's where to pre-order the album:
http://lynstanley.com/products-page/
LS_Potions_HighRes_Cover.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Awesome Gary! Available on CD us redbook boys?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Gary

That demo really says it all for your speaker. A remarkable demo

I always take note of your music recommendations as they are always so wonderful. Some of your recommendations I even own and from an eclectic point of view, IMO you always have the best demo disks of any vendor at any audio show

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Awesome Gary! Available on CD us redbook boys?

Lloyd, it will not only be available on redbook - it will be available in high-rez as well.

As mastering will be all analog, they are going to deliver in both DSD and PCM downloads. And for the audiophile who needs to determine if their DAC is more optimal at multiples of 48kHz or multiples of 44.1kHz, it will be available in 24/192 as well as 24/176.4. Lyn is really taking care of us audiophiles!

Gary

That demo really says it all for your speaker. A remarkable demo

I always take note of your music recommendations as they are always so wonderful. Some of your recommendations I even own and from an eclectic point of view, IMO you always have the best demo disks of any vendor at any audio show

Thank you, Steve. I always try to make things interesting and educational so that it makes it worthwhile for the show visitor to spend his valuable time in my room.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
How about a reel to reel release?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for the post Gary I just pre ordered the record you have good taste in music .

Garth

Thanks, Garth.

Bruce and Don, Her first album (Lost in Romance) is available on CD, LP and downloads. The new album isn't released yet - the CD will come after the LP, and then SACD, high-rez downloads and also reel to reel.

http://lynstanley.com/products-page/

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is it Analog or is it Protools

Check out Lyn's other performance videos here: http://lynstanley.com/photo-video/singing-performance-videos/

What's really interesting is a conversation between 24-Gramming winning recording engineer Al Schmitt and Lyn Stanley. This video is password protected so you'll have to send her a request - stanley dot lyn at gmail dot com.

When we played the mastertape, I couldn't tell which track was recorded on analog, and which track was recorded digitally. Even when we played the tape a second time, and I moved into a better position I couldn't tell.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
No doubt, it is an excellent recording and so is the program material.

I went to her website to order the cd Jazz in the Ballroom and Lost in Romance. The cost of the two items was $20. When I went to checkout, the added "shipping and handling" was $20!

No one who knows me would say I am cheap, but I have to say $20 for "shipping and handling" is a major rip-off.

My S.O. is an artist and I consider what I do for a living to be artistic at a very high level, far above mechanical work, so I have no qualms about paying for art. I do have a problem with their shipping fee. If the CD was $35 plus $5.00 shipping, I would have gone for it, but $20 for shipping is unconscionable. I have plenty of other music I can listen to.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary,

Buy it from Amazon, CDBaby.com or ElusiveDisc.com. She is probably not set up to economically handle the transactions herself, and the $20 shipping and handling fee probably doesn't begin to compensate her for her time packing the items, and getting into a car and driving it over to the post office.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
The Meridian Trifield thread!

Lyn's new album was very nice. It didn't hurt that we heard it on R2R on one of Ki Choi's machines. The demo was wonderful, and Lyn really seemed to enjoy signing along with the recording.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing