iFi audio ZEN Stream - The Official Thread

luipaard

Jan 12, 2022
Hi all, I set up my Zen Stream easily enough on the network (both Wi-fi and Ethernet) but my NAD M51 DAC doesn't seem to "see" the device, neither over S/PDIF or USB. If the issue was with a PC then I would guess that the driver needs to be installed/updated for the NAD DAC but is this relevant or even do-able on the Zen Stream?

PoCkoBG

Jan 4, 2022
Did you mean that the Zen Stream does not see the NAD DAC?
Restart the NAD. Be sure that the NAD is powered, connected to the USB(for instance), selected the USB input and then power the Zen. Check the settings if this helped.
You can try doing Factory Reset on the Zen. This will likely return the unit to firmware v2.25. Also try also updating if that does not help.

I have NAD C510 and it gets recognized on both outputs.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

luipaard

Jan 12, 2022
Did you mean that the Zen Stream does not see the NAD DAC?
Restart the NAD. Be sure that the NAD is powered, connected to the USB(for instance), selected the USB input and then power the Zen. Check the settings if this helped.
You can try doing Factory Reset on the Zen. This will likely return the unit to firmware v2.25. Also try also updating if that does not help.

I have NAD C510 and it gets recognized on both outputs.
Hi thanks for your response but no, the Zen Stream can see the NAD - it is there in the settings as "NAD stereo 2.0" or something like that (can't remember right now) but the NAD DAC doesn't seem to be receiving any input in either the SPDIF or USB. the DAC works fine with other inputs like my PC and Musical Fidelity CD player.

luipaard

Jan 12, 2022
Hi thanks for your response but no, the Zen Stream can see the NAD - it is there in the settings as "NAD stereo 2.0" or something like that (can't remember right now) but the NAD DAC doesn't seem to be receiving any input in either the SPDIF or USB. the DAC works fine with other inputs like my PC and Musical Fidelity CD player.
Oh I just did a firmware update on the NAD M51 and it is working now!

PoCkoBG

Jan 4, 2022
Great! Congratulations!
Please share some experience. What source will you use? How does it sounds? Can you compare it to other streamers?
And how is the M51 sounding? My C510 is said to borrow some tech from that M51 ....

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
I have seen several youTube reviewers claiming significant sonic gains were achieved by using linear power supplies with the Zen streamer. One Zen Streamer user stated that the Zen Stream competed sonically to a Innuos Zen Mini even with the upgraded Innuos power supply, if this is the case, one has to wonder just how far the Zen Streamer will scale up with a excellent power supply. The reviewer, Hans Beekhuyzen feels that quality switching supplies sound better with digital devices connected on a network. Ifi offers the Elite switching power supply at $400. Has anyone compared the Ifi Elite switching ps to the factory supplied ps or a linear ps on the Zen stream?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
My first post was a question.
My second post was additional informations
My DAC is an amplifier Denon PMA-2500NE wich play up to DSD256.
It play music in DSD256 with Ron on PC’sUSB output, but only up to DSD128 with the Zem Stream.
The ifi’s support explain that a new firmware will solve this issue but it is currently in beta.
I don’t want to use this beta channel.So, I prefer to wait the new official firmware.
my question is : when this firmware will be available to solve this issue?
The zen stream is essentially a pass-through device (you could call it a high quality transport) and as such just passes through the file sent to it.

The Zen Stream is capable of passing the DSD256.

The new firmware may help you out, so we would recommend to update it once it is available.

There are no deadlines for firmware updates. We work hard to provide them to you as soon as possible. I'll keep you posted.

@CJmJcB please go to our support system. You have a more detailed answer under your ticket.

Last edited:

ifi-denafrips-MF

Jan 11, 2022
I have seen several youTube reviewers claiming significant sonic gains were achieved by using linear power supplies with the Zen streamer. One Zen Streamer user stated that the Zen Stream competed sonically to a Innuos Zen Mini even with the upgraded Innuos power supply, if this is the case, one has to wonder just how far the Zen Streamer will scale up with a excellent power supply. The reviewer, Hans Beekhuyzen feels that quality switching supplies sound better with digital devices connected on a network. Ifi offers the Elite switching power supply at $400. Has anyone compared the Ifi Elite switching ps to the factory supplied ps or a linear ps on the Zen stream?
It's very easy to test without buying an expensive linear power supply (maybe more expensive than the streamer itself): Just use a 12V battery or a lithium ion jump starter for the car.
It happens that I have a noco booster 2000 and I used it to power the streamer --> I could not hear any difference in sound. A lithium battery is more linear than any linear power supply.

PoCkoBG

Jan 4, 2022
There are bunch of electronics in that battery/jump starter that may be the cause for even worse performance or no gain at all. I think that kind of comparison is not correct and the end results should not be compared to quality linear power supply. But it doesn't hurt to try.

ifi-denafrips-MF

Jan 11, 2022
There are bunch of electronics in that battery/jump starter that may be the cause for even worse performance or no gain at all. I think that kind of comparison is not correct and the end results should not be compared to quality linear power supply. But it doesn't hurt to try.
I thought of that too, but if there were a difference then at least it would sound worse or different. But if it sounds the same I suspect the sourse have no impact on the digital delivery. After all, the streamer just passes the digital signal to the DAC, it's not doing anything to it.

PoCkoBG

Jan 4, 2022
I thought of that too, but if there were a difference then at least it would sound worse or different. But if it sounds the same I suspect the sourse have no impact on the digital delivery. After all, the streamer just passes the digital signal to the DAC, it's not doing anything to it.
As for everything else ..... it depends.
I think if you have a bad power supply in the chain it will ruin the rest. I will try in the near feature to exchange all of my power supply's with quality in one go to see if that changes the sound.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
It's very easy to test without buying an expensive linear power supply (maybe more expensive than the streamer itself): Just use a 12V battery or a lithium ion jump starter for the car.
It happens that I have a noco booster 2000 and I used it to power the streamer --> I could not hear any difference in sound. A lithium battery is more linear than any linear power supply.
It is worth remembering that not all batteries are the same and they may give different results.
Also, see the results of our tests vis-a-vis battery. iPower Elite comparison.jpg

ifi-denafrips-MF

Jan 11, 2022
from the graphic it results there is no difference between the battery and iPower elite because the variation is well below the digital signal voltages (0.4 V). The second source (which is not a battery) can alter the signal in the low frequency zone.

Do you have a similar graphic with the source that comes with the IFI Zen stream?

ifi-denafrips-MF

Jan 11, 2022
Another question (referred only to streamers connected to externals DAC's):

Considering that the streamer only passes the digital signal to the DAC is there any difference between the IFI Zen Stream and let's say a very very expensive Streamer (like one from Aurender) in terms of the signal that reaches the DAC?

I know the Aurender might have internal HDD's and a different interface etc. but I'm only interested in the quality of the signal that is transferred to the DAC.
Basically the DAC is receiving either zero or one (assuming the source is good enough and there is no jitter).

This being said, I don't understand how some people state that one streamer or the other can make the sound to be more or less lean, more or less bass or the stage wider etc ... The digital signal should either get to the other end or not. It should be like on a TV: you either get the digital image completely or when you have a bad signal you get undistinguishable dots.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
from the graphic it results there is no difference between the battery and iPower elite because the variation is well below the digital signal voltages (0.4 V). The second source (which is not a battery) can alter the signal in the low frequency zone.

Do you have a similar graphic with the source that comes with the IFI Zen stream?
We do not have one. It will take us a few days, but I'll try to get you some more measurements.

Another question (referred only to streamers connected to externals DAC's):

Considering that the streamer only passes the digital signal to the DAC is there any difference between the IFI Zen Stream and let's say a very very expensive Streamer (like one from Aurender) in terms of the signal that reaches the DAC?

I know the Aurender might have internal HDD's and a different interface etc. but I'm only interested in the quality of the signal that is transferred to the DAC.
Basically the DAC is receiving either zero or one (assuming the source is good enough and there is no jitter).

This being said, I don't understand how some people state that one streamer or the other can make the sound to be more or less lean, more or less bass or the stage wider etc ... The digital signal should either get to the other end or not. It should be like on a TV: you either get the digital image completely or when you have a bad signal you get undistinguishable dots.
The digital signal. That is a good question. Let's take a very simple set-up as an example. Source, streamer and a DAC. The source aims to send the file in its highest quality, streamer (as an extra device in that chain) aims to add as little distortions as possible to the DAC, which again often improves and converts the quality of the track.

In an ideal, perfect, studio-like environment, if the output on both of your streaming devices is digital there should not be any difference, as long as the input is exactly the same and both are bit-perfect. The difference comes along when it comes to the parts, interface, output quality, filters in ethernet, filters on outputs, inputs, built-in DACs, drives. Additionally, they are not always bit perfect and often do not have the same quality outputs. The source, the streamer's outputs, the dac - they will all play an important role. For instance, even though the high-res streaming platforms may offer the same file format, people tend to detect tremendous differences between them. The same analogy applies to the streamers.

Vangelis

Oct 11, 2011
It is worth remembering that not all batteries are the same and they may give different results.
Also, see the results of our tests vis-a-vis battery. View attachment 88247
What have Zen Steam owners reported by upgrading to the Elite switching power supply?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@docvale
I am afraid it is a no for Amazon Music HD.
With the other apps, the Zen Stream can work without involving BT transmission from a mobile device.

iFi app works with the internet connection and not the Bluetooth signal. The Zen Stream is a network streamer. It works only over Wi-Fi or ethernet, so that the app.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing