iFi audio ZEN CAN Signature Meze 99 - The Official Thread

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Disclaimer:
I have no financial interest in IFi Audio or Meze. I purchased the item at retail.
I do think I receive some special treatment. :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
20221206_173743.jpg

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't believe the combo is completely run-in yet. It actually is getting better. Fun Fact- Tidal is at its best on the weekend. I'll give it a try on Saturday night.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Looks great! Have you tried the Meze with the HipDAC?
Yes, I have. It works fine. you may have to play with the bass boost to your liking. I find it is best left in default mode with some pop music. YMMV.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Yes, I have. It works fine. you may have to play with the bass boost to your liking. I find it is best left in default mode with some pop music. YMMV.
MZ99 Classic is a bassy headphone on its own, so I understand that you set the XBass+ in default. It is very helpful with lighter-sounding headphones, like HD600 from Sennheiser.

I don't believe the combo is completely run-in yet. It actually is getting better. Fun Fact- Tidal is at its best on the weekend. I'll give it a try on Saturday night.
It usually takes some time to burn-in the electronics. Are you turning it off after use? Or do you let it run all the time?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I allow a warm up period. If I am going to listen later,I leave it on

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Trouble in paradise

While the cure is leveling off it continues to improve. Basically, it continues to improve at the frequency extremes. Dynamics are better. That allows me to lower the volume slightly.

I don't know what part to blame. For the moment I am blaming the cable company. It occurs on an intermittent basis. I get a drop out. It lasts for a fraction of a second. It is slightly annoying. A little pop sort of like what you get on vinyl when the stylus hits some dirt. I am hoping it will go away. if not, I have no idea what the culprit is.
I'll keep you posted.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Trouble in paradise

While the cure is leveling off it continues to improve. Basically, it continues to improve at the frequency extremes. Dynamics are better. That allows me to lower the volume slightly.

I don't know what part to blame. For the moment I am blaming the cable company. It occurs on an intermittent basis. I get a drop out. It lasts for a fraction of a second. It is slightly annoying. A little pop sort of like what you get on vinyl when the stylus hits some dirt. I am hoping it will go away. if not, I have no idea what the culprit is.
I'll keep you posted.
What are you playing music from? Your player software might have the option to increase the audio buffer, which might help.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
To wrap up my review of this I think this combo is capable of a stunning sound. It is reasonably priced and of high quality. Lock tight is what you can say about the connections. The only problem is the detachable cable on the Meze Classic. It is annoying when I move my head and the cord detaches from the headphone. I prefer a locking attachment ala Senn.HD800S. Of course, there is a you tube video that says he doesn't like the Senn connection and prefers the Meze connector. It's your call.
Not only has iFi paid attention to every detail, but the combo also arrived pre-tweaked. That means you will not be on the corner trying to score an eq device, and balanced cables.
It could be quite the stocking stuffer for your college student.

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
To wrap up my review of this I this combo is capable of a stunning sound. It is reasonably priced and of high quality. Lock tight is what you can say about the connections. The only problem is the detachable cable on the Meze Classic. t is annoying when I move my head and the cord detaches from the headphone. I prefer a locking attachment ala Senn.HD800S. Of course, there is a you tube video that says he doesn't like the Senn connection and prefers the Meze connector. It's your call.
Not only has iFi paid attention to every detail, the combo arrived pre-tweaked. That means you will not be on the corner trying to score an eq device, and balanced cables.
It could be quite the stocking stuffer for your college student.
Thank you for your kind words! We are happy to hear you agree with us. This is a great starting kit!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Wishing you a white Chrismas!
(and when the white runs out, just open a bottle of red)
Best wishes to you and your family.
Team iFi Audio

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
White Christmas is a hit and miss around these parts. Bottles of red are much more prevalent.
Merry Christmas.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I do have a suggestion. I really don't like placing one unit on top of the other. How about you guys design a rack that allows you to stack the two units.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Regarding dropout It appears my computer may be the culprit. I switched everything out and the problem persists. I purchased it used. I spent my new computer on this combo. It will just have to wait. Thankfully the XDuoo has Bluetooth and allows me to bypass the computer.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So, it appears this combo is not completely tricked out. $209
71dUT6dPecL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
ordered. It should arrive Wednesday. It is my Christmas present.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing