Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
@Gregadd

Thank you for that review.

The Diablo sounds exactly what I have a use for.

I haven't heard HD800s. I know the 600/650 well. I imagine it would work wonderfully with each.

Do you find the 800s markedly better to the 6xx wrt bass extension, clarity, sound stage, imaging and air? There is of course a substantial difference in cost.

Many thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide me with.
You are welcome. My review of the HD 800S is pending. It proved to be more.of a challenge than I expected.

Reactions: Andrew S.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Battery Power

There was a time where I thought battery power was going to dominate preamplifier power supply. Indeed given the advancement in battery zinc see no reason fo at least a class d amp with a battery supply.
I bring this up here because even though I can't explain it I believe the quality of the Diablo is based at least in part on that fact.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@Gregadd thanks a lot for the review. I am pleased that you are enjoying the Diablo and impressed with the depth of your analysis. Also, I think the song selection you went for is a solid reference list. Virtual Barbar Shop - a great recommendation. I gave it a try myself. I must say it was a very refreshing experience.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think the Diablo may be even better than I initially thought.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
To be candid the better the recording the better the Diablo performs. I can only imagine hi res recordings over electrostatic hps.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Part II Review of Diablo dac/amp

Virtual Barbar Shop
This is a binaural recording designed to demonstrate the imaging of such recordings. Essentially a guy enters a barber shop and calls his friend to perform a haircut. I think the most dramatic element is when he whispers in your ear. You can literally feel a puff of air heing blown in your ear.
It still puzzles me that binaural recording has not taken over.
BASS
HP's struggle most with bass. There is no problem here. The Diablo has big bold sound. It does not scream bass. An organ sounds like an organ. The same is true of a cello, a double bass, and drums. Transients are excellent with no boom.
Phill Collins
Yo Yo MA
Chico Freeman Autum in New York
Quincy Jones walking in Space
Bass has a crisp attack and decay.
Vocals
Cassandra Wilson Wtchita Lineman
Combined with her guitar her voice has a rich sultry tone.
Autumn leaves performed by Eva Cassidy at Blues Alley is a.amazng.
John Legends voice has a.naturall tone when he sings at npr tiny desk.
My biggest surprise is Queens' rendition of Bohemian Rhapsidy. I previously thought it was just a top forty hit.
By far Stan Getz recording of The Girl From Ipanema will tell you you need to need to know about the Diablo..
Finally I could wax on. I have learned more about digital than I cared to know. 96khz-24bit is fine for me.
IMO the Diablo is to die for. Get yours today.

Do you have any newly reviewed albums you'd recommend to add to this great list?

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
I have a question. How would I hook this up to:

1. My iPhone SE to stream 16/44? - is there any cable available that can go straight from my iPhone ie bypass its dac - and into the Diablo, or do I need to use a Lightening to USB adapter (Camera Adapter) ie a cable to a cable?

2. MBA to stream DSD? ie in teh case of a M1 MBA - from the two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports, or in the case of an older MBP/MBA - the usual USB out.

Does anyone have any comment with ESL? Stax?

Many thanks

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I have a question. How would I hook this up to:

1. My iPhone SE to stream 16/44? - is there any cable available that can go straight from my iPhone ie bypass its dac - and into the Diablo, or do I need to use a Lightening to USB adapter (Camera Adapter) ie a cable to a cable?

2. MBA to stream DSD? ie in teh case of a M1 MBA - from the two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports, or in the case of an older MBP/MBA - the usual USB out.

Does anyone have any comment with ESL? Stax?

Many thanks
Hi Andrew,
1. Yes, no problem.

If you wish to play 16-bit/44kHz, a good software/files would suffice and there is no need for an external DAC. If you wish to go anywhere higher than 24-bit/48kHz, then it would be an issue. Apple’s Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter is limited to supporting 24-bit/48kHz, so any high-res files on your phone will be downsampled to 24-bit/48kHz.

There is a simple solution how to bypass it.
You can use the Apple CCK cable and an external drive. Since USB has no limitations when it comes to the resolution of your files the final result will be determined by A) an external DAC such as Diablo ( up to DSD512 and PCM 32-bit/768khz) and B) The files/software you use on your iPhone.

See the video:

It's about the hip-dac, but the same analogy applies to Diablo.

What software and files are you planning to use?

2. Yes, you can stream DSD files with your M1 MBA. You just need the right software (Roon, JRiver or Audirvana) and DSD files. Mac will not recognise DSD, but the right software will. DSD has to be converted to DoP (DSD over PCM).

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I do not own the HD 800. Are you listening in turbo mode?

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
@AMR / iFi audio

Thanks so much for your reply.

I think we might be at cross purposes. I was asking about the physical connectors to your Diablo to make use of its dac/amp. I wouldn't buy it just to use as an amp. Aware of course of the Apple 3.5mm dac/amp.

I should have started by saying I'm very comfortable with computer audio - but thanks for taking the time you did and didn't assume that,.

The answer seems to be

1. iPhone - CCK out of am iPhone directly into the Diablo (I wasn't sure what your USB would accept directly) - so that's a win.

2. MBA M1 - sorry - still unclear. How do I physically connect up thunderbolt/usb4 directly to the Diablo?

I was hoping you included with it a usb4 - Diablo adaptor. ie one cable. I get sick of having to use adapters for Mac products all the time. I know its a Mac thing for iPhone.

Is a single a USB4 to Male A adapter even made that you know of?

Oh - you do DSD over DOP? I suppose you have to with your chip. Still - depends on the implementation: could be fabulous. Unfortunately demo isn't possible where I am.

Thanks again.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Andrew, although you will have to pony up the cash headphones.com is allowing one year returns.
Ironically you can contact Andrew for details.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@Andrew S. , the pleasure is mine. I am happy I could help.

1. That's great.
2. As long as you have the USB type-A female on one end of the cable it should be fine. Whether you connect it directly through the Thunderbolt or through a multi-slot hub/dongle/adapter it's ok. You have a few configurations.
a) USB type C - USB type A female. You can get the iFi OTG cable - USB type C to USB type A Female.
b) USB type C - dongle/adapter - USB type A male to USB type A female. If you are using a dongle with a USB A port then there is no need to buy another cable as the USB type A Male to USB type A female is included in the Diablo set.

The Diablo does native DSD with no problem. The issue is on the software side. A standard MacOS or Windows cannot handle a PDM signal. You need a special software to 'convert' the DSD file for a computer to be able to process it.

There are still very few devices marketed as USB 4.0 at the moment, but a new generation of USB 4.0-powered docks and peripherals is trickling in. It is also important to remember that USB 4.0 will use a single standard connector (USB-C). The USB 4 specification was published in late 2019 and so the time is right for devices to appear with it - it usually takes around 18 months for devices to come to market once a new standard is published for the first time.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I put my money where my mouth is. I purchased the review sample.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I was just informed the price was increased from $899 to $999 in May.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If you value your hearing take the following precaution:
When changing modes or music selection turn volume control to zero. For some reason the Diablo will on occasion default to maximum volume. Ouch!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing