Identifying KT90 tubes

pstrisik

Jan 29, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
I've got some Ei KT90's and trying to identify the types. These photos show two of them. They have different boxes, though I'm not sure that matters. These two look quite similar, with the square "patch". I also have two with a circle on the "patch" (does that mean they are type IV?). The two with the square patches are constructed with the patch on opposite sides. The one on the right has more visible spot welds though they exist on both. The one on the left has white lettering, the one on the right, no lettering (though it might have rubbed off).

Anyone familiar enough to help?

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Hi Peter:
There used to be a great link from Manley Labs with pictures and descriptions of each type of EI KT90 but for some reason it has been removed.
Neither of the tubes you show have the heavy spot welding of the type II. I also know that the tubes with the circle on the square patch are the notorious type IV which have caused grief to some users. That would make yours types I or type III or maybe one of each. Most type Is I have seen have the Manley red lettering and on them and they are the rarest type, so I'm guessing the ones in your picture are type IIIs.
If they work without redplating, they are great tubes. Enjoy!

pstrisik

Jan 29, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
Thanks very much Mendel. It does seem clear that the ones with the round patch are type IV. I doubt the others are type I given their rarity and the red lettering they had. A post by EveAnna Manley from another forum (some time ago) suggests that the type I tubes were really prototypes and type II's had improvements at Manley/VTL suggestion. Some of the square patch tubes of mine do have more evidence of spot welding, though I don't know if the type II's would show evidence of even more. I gather that type II's are the most desirable along with some early type III's before the problems at the factory from the war.

I guess I will assume I have type III (square) and type IV (round) unless I find evidence that any of the square patch tubes are type II. In either case, I'm looking forward to trying them in my single ended Dennis Had Inspire soon.

History of the EI KT90 by EveAnna Manley:

I was there at the factory twice in in January 1990, mid 1991, and DM went a third time without me.

I was first in Nis the first week of January 1990 where they showed us the first prototypes of the KT90. There had been some correspondence between DM and the Ei factory for alomost a year before our visit as to what he wanted them to build. (See my post above regarding the KT90 NOT being based on the EL519.)

The actual engineering of the guts of tube was done primarily by the head Ei engineer, Blagomir Bukumira. We took home four samples and did the initial testing. Some suggestions were made and production began. This was the first "red" paint version. As with any first production run, of which we had to buy ALL of them, there were things to be improved upon.

The second version incorporated some structural modification suggestions from Bill Perkins. This was the "blue" version. You can see the additional spot welds for the concentric inner anode structure if you compare them. More meat. As I have previously posted, in 1993, tubes that fell outside our acceptable parameters were sold to a certain tube vendor who put on a prettier brown base and silk-screened their own "KT99" logo onto the glass.

Then the war started and the embargo went up and none of us could get tubes out of there. The factory also was having trouble getting raw materials IN. Contrary to rumours at the time, the Ei factory was NOT bombed, as we now know.

There later came a third version with wings outside the anode structure but gone was the additional inner plate structure needing all those spot welds.

The latest KT90's I have here, what I would call the 4th version, the sacrificial element tacked onto the anode structure that was square is now circular. Other than that, it looks like the version 3 tubes to my eye.

Here are some quick pictures I just put up for you.

KT90's I have known and loved...

As for bad blood, there was some disappointment as we were supposed to be the world exclusive distributors for the KT90 but this part of the contract was not ultimately honoured by the factory, although it was basically more or less enforced for two years. It was the "less" part of this equation that raised some concern. On the other side, it was understandable that other tube amp manufacturers were not happy to have to buy their tubes from a competitor in the tube amps biz who had been granted "exclusive rights for the whole world concerning advertising, sampling, and sale."

I have faxes from Ei-RC from March 1991 outlining all of this. It is quite interesting stuff.

With this, with the war, with all the weirdness that went down, perhaps the factory's memories fall short in some areas, but I was there and I have the original correspondance needed to refresh my memories.

Cheers, EveAnna Manley, Manley Labs

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Glad I could help. Just to follow up on the type 2s, they have tons of spot welds on the plates, not just on the "wings" of the plates like the one on the right of your pictures but also a line of welds on either side of the square holes in the plate (inner anode as EveAnna describes above). Really well made tubes, but it was very time consuming and costly to make all those spot welds, which is probably why they cut back on the welds for type 3s and 4s.

pstrisik

Jan 29, 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
Got it, thanks again. I will consider those III's then (and IV's for the round patch ones).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing