Hybrid vs Pure

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Too many debates in Tube vs SS, how about Hybrid vs Pure ? some doesn't count like filament power supply by IC regulator because it will not affect to the sound quality. but in B+ will do. and digital will never in pure tube because no pure tube DAC. there are many hybrid amp in market before or still right now, like SS in pre pre amp of a phono stage or tube in put and SS out put of a power amp, even in one tube circuit combine with SS as the constant current etc, What is your favor ?
I prefer pure in tube that is my personal favor but in modify recorder's electronics , I rather take hybrid because they don't like RIAA phono's design, already pre-set everything, it needs to adjust with it's own because every machine is not the same and need to adjust again after aging, so to keep the original design of EQ and adjustment section is better for that machine itself
tony ma

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think I am the member in WBF that has the most hybrid components in my main system. My preamp is hybrid as are two pairs of power amps run bi-amped that are also hybrid. Even my loudspeakers are ribbon, dome and cone hybrids. My digital sources are solid state and my phono stages are tubed.

I would not go as far as saying that I get the best of both worlds but it definitely gives me a fair share of both at the same time. What it does give me is a lot of flexibility when it comes to choice of music. This is very important to me because I listen to both small ensembles and complex works. I also have a penchant for electronic music. In the end I get the subtlety and micro-resolution of tubes and ribbons with the control of solid state and cones. I'm sure I could do the same in a pure way but all electronic equipment that I know of that could give me both are beyond my budget and the loudspeakers would still be hybrids.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing