How Reliable are Ferraris These Days?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Does it make any sense to get a 2-3 year old used vehicle and hold on to it for 4-5 years, without completely emptying the wallet on repairs?Thanks in advance for replies

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Does it make any sense to get a 2-3 year old used vehicle and hold on to it for 4-5 years, without completely emptying the wallet on repairs?Thanks in advance for replies
Anything 2015 or newer. 458 is hands down the most dependable car they made. Stay far away from anything 2010 or 2011.
Feel free to PM me with any specific models or questions.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I'll ask my niece's father-in-law. I've told this story before, maybe on WBF. She got married in the fall of 2017 and I was seated next to her father-in-law because her mother heard he was an audiophile. Turns out not so much these days. However, I asked him about his hobbies and after expensive watches and rare used cameras, he started talking about cars. He ranted about Tesla's and as owner of #4360 Model S (bought new in early 2013) I kept quiet. He said he collected cars. I asked (innocently) how many cars did he own. He said, at one time he owned 150, but has downsized his collection. Next family dinner, I was sitting next to him again. More on cars - his favorite car - Ferrari. Talked at length about his recent purchase of a La Ferrari. How long has he bought Ferraris? 30 years. How many has he bought? 30. But he doesn't keep them all, sometimes he sells them. In the recent years he has bought one La Ferrari every year. Apparently you need to be a good customer to get one. His dealer was telling him that another of his customers buys several (IIRC 4) every year. So he isn't the best customer. (They live on the peninsula of the SF Bay Area.)

Larry

Reactions: Mr Rickz

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I'll ask my niece's father-in-law. I've told this story before, maybe on WBF. She got married in the fall of 2017 and I was seated next to her father-in-law because her mother heard he was an audiophile. Turns out not so much these days. However, I asked him about his hobbies and after expensive watches and rare used cameras, he started talking about cars. He ranted about Tesla's and as owner of #4360 Model S (bought new in early 2013) I kept quiet. He said he collected cars. I asked (innocently) how many cars did he own. He said, at one time he owned 150, but has downsized his collection. Next family dinner, I was sitting next to him again. More on cars - his favorite car - Ferrari. Talked at length about his recent purchase of a La Ferrari. How long has he bought Ferraris? 30 years. How many has he bought? 30. But he doesn't keep them all, sometimes he sells them. In the recent years he has bought one La Ferrari every year. Apparently you need to be a good customer to get one. His dealer was telling him that another of his customers buys several (IIRC 4) every year. So he isn't the best customer. (They live on the peninsula of the SF Bay Area.)

Larry

You are correct, one does not just walk in the door and order super/hyper limited edition cars, there has to be a history.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Anything 2015 or newer. 458 is hands down the most dependable car they made. Stay far away from anything 2010 or 2011.

Why? You don’t like heads blowing through the engine hood and stuff like that? ....

Listen to this guy, OP.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Also all the newer ones have maintenance included for 7 years.
Factory bumber to bumper warranty in the US is 3 years.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
But isn't the 458 also from the 2010/2011 vintage?

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
I owned a 2016 F12 Berlinetta for two years. It was definitely not a daily driver but I never had a major issue with it. That monster 12 cylinder engine threw off a lot of heat. On a summer day here in Florida, if I was out for over an hour and I stopped, I always had trouble with computer glitches when I came back and restarted. I'm guessing these were caused by overheating in one or more of the computers. After a few restart attempts, everything settled out again. This was a problem I would certainly live with to own one. Incidentally, the reason I sold it was I bought a Tesla Model S performance. Much better acceleration with four doors and two trunks! I'll never own another ICE car. Once you've tasted electric performance there is no going back.

Cincy

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I think the relevant question is whether you intend to ever ‘track’ the car?

If it’s just an occasional fun car to drive then reliability is just not significant. Most of these type cars (especially the recent years) never get many miles on them for that to be a major factor.

If you are going to ‘track’ the car then buy a Porsche.....if you even need to think about that issue. If you don’t need to think about it, don’t think about it.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Does Ferrari offer a CPO option ? if so, like Porsche, IMO, that's the way to go

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I think the relevant question is whether you intend to ever ‘track’ the car?

If it’s just an occasional fun car to drive then reliability is just not significant. Most of these type cars (especially the recent years) never get many miles on them for that to be a major factor.

If you are going to ‘track’ the car then buy a Porsche.....if you even need to think about that issue. If you don’t need to think about it, don’t think about it.
You know I am going to disagree with you on that one all day long!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I owned a 2016 F12 Berlinetta for two years. It was definitely not a daily driver but I never had a major issue with it. That monster 12 cylinder engine threw off a lot of heat. On a summer day here in Florida, if I was out for over an hour and I stopped, I always had trouble with computer glitches when I came back and restarted. I'm guessing these were caused by overheating in one or more of the computers. After a few restart attempts, everything settled out again. This was a problem I would certainly live with to own one. Incidentally, the reason I sold it was I bought a Tesla Model S performance. Much better acceleration with four doors and two trunks! I'll never own another ICE car. Once you've tasted electric performance there is no going back.

Cincy
F12 is a beast, the F12 TDF is a completely different animal with a completely different price point!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Now that VAG owns Lambo I'd also consider a Hurrican Performante, it's a good car for track from what I've heard as well, smoking fast...

Porsche are great cars but I'd only consider ones that begin with "GT", otherwise higher end Camaros, Vettes and Mustangs are going to be passing you on track. Once Z06 and ZR1 C8 Vettes come out even the GT cars won't be safe... ;)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
F12 is a beast, the F12 TDF is a completely different animal with a completely different price point!

F12 TDF is probably my favorite Ferrari right now, would take it over a new superfast.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing