How long itbtake till the system plays on his peak?

Thomas 911

Dec 2, 2021
Germany
Due to energy saving habit i used to Start my System, pre amp and mono Apps Designer as tubes including a pass XP 27 phono preamp, ans stoped after Listening sessions, up to max. 4h.
I realized that Sound quality always at the end is the best.not a big surprise, on the other site, i dont want to wait so long, i was interested what influence the running time of each component has.
In a first test i decided to keep running the pass XP 27 on th Power via my PS 20 .
I Listened every 24 h same records , Till 4 th Day, the must be stoped due to Business Journey.
The result was so significant, i repectivly we , ...did not expect at all.
At The end i thought have better speakers.
But this was not valid for all type of vinyl , the good one ... produced, remastered one, Jazz and classic style made hugh improvement. Others very small ..
My nexr step will be to keep the preamp in combination at the Power supply and Evaluate this input.
Lesson learned, for me so far the phono preamp was the Game changer!
. To be continuued.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
@Thomas 911 Thanks for posting, we are interested in your future experiences and concerns. The equipment needs sometime to warm up, so a device that has been left on will always run better than a device that has been turned off. This usually have the biggest effect with pre amps. Maybe, you can also try power amplifiers, because they are vulnerable to this effect.

Thomas 911

Dec 2, 2021
Germany
@Thomas 911 Thanks for posting, we are interested in your future experiences and concerns. The equipment needs sometime to warm up, so a device that has been left on will always run better than a device that has been turned off. This usually have the biggest effect with pre amps. Maybe, you can also try power amplifiers, because they are vulnerable to this effect.
thx. a lot for your commen! really apreciated

, i was aware of this longtime , but due to "bad habit" and act. saving enery discussions, i simply did not focus in a serious way.
the reason , why now? is simple , because hunting for the better sound , illness of any audiophile :), i need to compare the system , thus i must know how it willl perform best...
thats why i started changing my behaviour! despite any additional energy costs:)

Now i want to approach more from the "scientific way"..

what variables cause improvment, and can i evaluate the impact by listening , of course same records as reference, cleaned before every use, of course with washing machine,and stylus also cleaned.

first item to keep in stand by:

1, phono preamp : pass XP 27...
up to 4 days like mentioned before, then interuppted by buisiness journey, unfortunatly...
result: simply shocking! espacilly with good records..like this one used..

1674012371395.png
i felt ashamed openly speaking , all the years waste such potential..oh my god..

but its just the beginning.

2, ocave jubille pre amp will be kept in stand by simultaneously, sfter return.

am aware, that its a complex issue, sound improvment, and its difficult to determine how much impact have each component: pre amp , phono pre amp , etc,

my old dealer , excellent technical guru confirmed your statement 100 %.

Thus am looking forward, and must discover my audiophile viny collection complete new..
Note:
if a dealer would present me this kind of sonic performance , i would be an easy target ,, new speaker , etc. 60.000 USD , no issue.. want it,.. need it ,..can afford.. so what , main thing , having your satisfaction, and inner justification buying new toy.:)

the often mentioned " addional curtains were removed" , true ..you were sucked into the music so deep like never before, the richness of sound improve, and effortless reproducing all dynamics was breathtaking ..
violins sounds which such a glace..like never before ,
holograpic 3 dimensional stage was huge, getting bigger, in the depths,
speakers completly disapeared, despite my smaller room, but well treated acousticlly,

one of my favorites, see below

1674013196341.png

to be continued..

1674013305211.jpeg

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Keeping transistor based phono and pre turned on is a very well known old trick by audiophiles. They start to show their real magic after 1 week of on time but it’s your own risk.
Starting turntable 1 hour before actual listening and changing records without stopping the platter is another well regarded improvement.
If you have transistor based amplifiers which have standby mode keeping them at standby instead of turning off also makes a big improvement. I remember keeping my gryphon pre always on and mark levinson 333 at standby mode when not in use. It was ten years ago now it’s impossible with recent electricity prices.
BTW do not keep a tube based unit on or standby (if the heaters are on) when not in use.

Reactions: Fishfood

Thomas 911

Dec 2, 2021
Germany
Thx a lot ,your comment is highly appreciated!
In deed the mono amplifiers, will switch in an eco stand by Mode anyway after a certain time. Thus i only keep the preamp on Power.
If i can detect the sonic difference, if a turnable is 1 h prelubrited in the bearing ..
It will be interesting....hope so..

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
thx. a lot for your commen! really apreciated

, i was aware of this longtime , but due to "bad habit" and act. saving enery discussions, i simply did not focus in a serious way.
the reason , why now? is simple , because hunting for the better sound , illness of any audiophile :), i need to compare the system , thus i must know how it willl perform best...
thats why i started changing my behaviour! despite any additional energy costs:)

Now i want to approach more from the "scientific way"..

what variables cause improvment, and can i evaluate the impact by listening , of course same records as reference, cleaned before every use, of course with washing machine,and stylus also cleaned.

first item to keep in stand by:

1, phono preamp : pass XP 27...
up to 4 days like mentioned before, then interuppted by buisiness journey, unfortunatly...
result: simply shocking! espacilly with good records..like this one used..

View attachment 103131
i felt ashamed openly speaking , all the years waste such potential..oh my god..

but its just the beginning.

2, ocave jubille pre amp will be kept in stand by simultaneously, sfter return.

am aware, that its a complex issue, sound improvment, and its difficult to determine how much impact have each component: pre amp , phono pre amp , etc,

my old dealer , excellent technical guru confirmed your statement 100 %.

Thus am looking forward, and must discover my audiophile viny collection complete new..
Note:
if a dealer would present me this kind of sonic performance , i would be an easy target ,, new speaker , etc. 60.000 USD , no issue.. want it,.. need it ,..can afford.. so what , main thing , having your satisfaction, and inner justification buying new toy.:)

the often mentioned " addional curtains were removed" , true ..you were sucked into the music so deep like never before, the richness of sound improve, and effortless reproducing all dynamics was breathtaking ..
violins sounds which such a glace..like never before ,
holograpic 3 dimensional stage was huge, getting bigger, in the depths,
speakers completly disapeared, despite my smaller room, but well treated acousticlly,

one of my favorites, see below

View attachment 103132

to be continued..

View attachment 103133
Thanks for the feedback. Antonio Lucio Vivaldi was a great violinist and composer. I still listen to his music after an eight hour shift. :)

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
Looking at my electricity consumption, which I can see in half hour chunks, with the system left on full time with no standby mode my consumption never droped below €0.04 per hour at night, round that up and it’s €1 a day to leave the system on but not playing and in the summer I was averaging €3 a day total (I didn’t have air con) so the system was using a third, When the weather turned colder it was more like 10%.
I hear improvement over about an hour when I start playing records and the time doesn’t change whether I leave the turntable spinning when not in use or not, the improvement just starts from a higher baseline if the bearing’s already warm.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Looking at my electricity consumption, which I can see in half hour chunks, with the system left on full time with no standby mode my consumption never droped below €0.04 per hour at night, round that up and it’s €1 a day to leave the system on but not playing and in the summer I was averaging €3 a day total (I didn’t have air con) so the system was using a third, When the weather turned colder it was more like 10%.
I hear improvement over about an hour when I start playing records and the time doesn’t change whether I leave the turntable spinning when not in use or not, the improvement just starts from a higher baseline if the bearing’s already warm.
An hour is usually the time that it gets the equipment to the thermal stability. Now the decision is if 1EUR a day is worth the improvement. I guess we all need to answer that for ourselves. I would invest :)

Thomas 911

Dec 2, 2021
Germany
Of course there is no more question, to invest in this regard,fully agree.
It Is like driving supercar and buy cheap fuel...
Thermical balance after 1 h i agree!
but no point of Balance regarding sonic improvment...First time in 20 years i kept running phono preamp around 4 Days continously running, it was another Dimension...what fool i was all the time...looking forward how much furher improvment i can detect by listening....after which perod of time. Then i have the individuel answer for my question.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Of course there is no more question, to invest in this regard,fully agree.
It Is like driving supercar and buy cheap fuel...
Thermical balance after 1 h i agree!
but no point of Balance regarding sonic improvment...First time in 20 years i kept running phono preamp around 4 Days continously running, it was another Dimension...what fool i was all the time...looking forward how much furher improvment i can detect by listening....after which perod of time. Then i have the individuel answer for my question.
I run all of my gear on, all of the time. But you know, I'm in the business, so I might be a little obsessed about the quality.
Ironically, tube gear warms up faster, which I find funny.

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
An hour is usually the time that it gets the equipment to the thermal stability. Now the decision is if 1EUR a day is worth the improvement. I guess we all need to answer that for ourselves. I would The one hour is just the tu
An hour is usually the time that it gets the equipment to the thermal stability. Now the decision is if 1EUR a day is worth the improvement. I guess we all need to answer that for ourselves. I would invest :)
The one hour is just the turntable and cartridge, maybe with some contribution from the electronics having a bit more than their idle current through them but using the streamer it only takes 20 minutes to settle.
If I let the electronics get properly cold, say when I’m away for several days, when I restart it’s days, maybe up to a couple of weeks before it stops improving.

I remember buying a one year old Naim 250-2 ex demo some years back. It was in a system and on when I walked into the shop. Once I’d agreed to buy it, it was unplugged, boxed up and carried home two miles bungeed on the back of my 33 year old Moto Guzzi all within an hour. It sounded pretty good that day replacing my Rega Maia but the next it sounded slow and un dynami., If it hadn’t been a Sunday it would have gone back but by Tuesday when the shop was open again it had picked up and was earning its place.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
It's hard to know what is my mood and mental state that has changed compared to any audio equiment sonics over an hour of listening. Its very subjective.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
The one hour is just the turntable and cartridge, maybe with some contribution from the electronics having a bit more than their idle current through them but using the streamer it only takes 20 minutes to settle.
If I let the electronics get properly cold, say when I’m away for several days, when I restart it’s days, maybe up to a couple of weeks before it stops improving.

I remember buying a one year old Naim 250-2 ex demo some years back. It was in a system and on when I walked into the shop. Once I’d agreed to buy it, it was unplugged, boxed up and carried home two miles bungeed on the back of my 33 year old Moto Guzzi all within an hour. It sounded pretty good that day replacing my Rega Maia but the next it sounded slow and un dynami., If it hadn’t been a Sunday it would have gone back but by Tuesday when the shop was open again it had picked up and was earning its place.
Would you agree that the most changes are in the first hour, or so? Maybe 80% improvement in the first hour, and 20% over longer period? That would be my experience on the matter.

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
Would you agree that the most changes are in the first hour, or so? Maybe 80% improvement in the first hour, and 20% over longer period? That would be my experience on the matter.
Pretty much yes but those further changes are worth having and the progress isn’t completely smooth.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I feel its more the 1st 10 to 15 minutes. After that you can't eliminate its all in your mind. That your body has slowed down and your mental state calmed. Isn't that part of why we listen. To get into a mood. I believe I have seen many writings that say your mental and physical state are tied together.

Try turning on your stereo at a high listening volume, then leaving the room for an hour or more. Then come back and sit down and start your listening session. I bet you feel it sounds better after a half hour. Why would that be.

Thomas 911

Dec 2, 2021
Germany

The original question was reffering to the precondition that all units are off!
according the gained experience at least with my System , It will take days..no idea how many, till the point of sonic Balance is achieved.
I would rate 70 / 30 % change after 1 h listening ..
Viewed emotionaly the gain is increasing exponentiell
It will vary due to individuell capability of listening and the characteristic of Equipment, Transistor tubes etc IMO

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
The original question was reffering to the precondition that all units are off!
according the gained experience at least with my System , It will take days..no idea how many, till the point of sonic Balance is achieved.
I would rate 70 / 30 % change after 1 h listening ..
Viewed emotionaly the gain is increasing exponentiell
It will vary due to individuell capability of listening and the characteristic of Equipment, Transistor tubes etc IMO
Oh yes, if you are experienced and emotionally invested in your setup (and who isn't), even a small difference can feel like a huge one.

Reactions: Thomas 911

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing