How do you organize your classical records ?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I suppose it would depend in part on how large one's collection is. Mine is very small at around 50, so I organize by composer. Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, etc.....it's an easy search for a small collection.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Label, composer, conductor/orch in that order. I group all my LPs in lots by label i.e. emi, London, decca, Merc, RCA, etc and a sub group of orig pressings for each label and then alphabetical by composer. its how my brain works and is much easier to locate specific recordings.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Composer, but I have so little Classical that it doesn't really make a difference.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Arranged by Composer, then by work type (e.g. BEETHOVEN - Piano, BEETHOVEN - Symphonies, BEETHOVEN - Other), then by Opus - earliest works first.

There are of course CD's that don't fit this neat classification - at the end of the collection are a series of CD's arranged by artists, e.g. PIANO, SYMPHONIC WORKS, VOCAL, ANCIENT MUSIC, etc.

Reactions: PhonoDac2704

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Same as Rob

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Label, composer, conductor/orch in that order. I group all my LPs in lots by label i.e. emi, London, decca, Merc, RCA, etc and a sub group of orig pressings for each label and then alphabetical by composer. its how my brain works and is much easier to locate specific recordings.

That sounds like a good logical approach.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It is :) You can zero in on the section more easily just looking at the spines. Even easier for Jazz.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
With about 15,000 classical records, I organize the major labels by catalogue number (Decca, EMI, RCA, Mercury, Lyrita, BIS, RefRec, Harmonia Mundi and several specialty "audiophile labels") and then everything else by composer and type of work, with a group at the end which is for various collections. Also monos are organized separately, since I play them with a mono only cartridge. One exception is Opera which is organized separately by Composer. I do need to look up on my data base where most of my records are.

Larry

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You are my new idol Larry!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
How do you stay awake with that many Classical records? :p

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
With about 3000 classical records (half LP's and half CD/SACD's), I just follow the way my father used to: sorting by date of birth of the composer and then by genre: solo, chamber, concertos, symphonic, vocal, operas. It may seem odd but there is a good advantage: if I am in the mood for early baroque, I know where I need to look for. If I want to listen to the Bach´s cello suites, I have got them all ligned up side by side. Did you know that Scarlatti, Handel and Bach were born the same year?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Did you know that Scarlatti, Handel and Bach were born the same year?

I did not.
I just keep Contemporary, Jazz, Classical separated and in those genres by format redbook(cd, xrcd, k2hd), SACD, DVDA.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
At 68, I can only stay awake if I have my nap in the afternoon. :) Larry

LOL! I'm only 60 and my naps are precious! I'm with ya!:)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Arranged by Composer, then by work type (e.g. BEETHOVEN - Piano, BEETHOVEN - Symphonies, BEETHOVEN - Other), then by Opus - earliest works first.

There are of course CD's that don't fit this neat classification - at the end of the collection are a series of CD's arranged by artists, e.g. PIANO, SYMPHONIC WORKS, VOCAL, ANCIENT MUSIC, etc.

Categories:
- Classical
- Jazz
- Blues
- Rock/et al
- Hip Hop/Club
- International (Celtic Harp, Spanish Guitar, Cuban, etc)
- Soundtracks.

Within each Category, alphabetized by Artist.

Within Classical, alphabetized by Composer (Within Composer: Smallest to Largest Works: Instrument solo, trios, quartets, quintets, etc, concertos, symphonies, then masses/choral, then 'mixes' if any). If I have several version of the same works (Bach Goldberg Variations, Well Tempered Clavier, Brandenburg Concertos...I rank by my favourite to least favourite.)

However, I am starting to think maybe, just maybe by Period of Classical and then Composer: Early/Medieval, Baroque, Neoclassical...may make more sense. Not sure yet.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I arrange by composer, but there are plenty of disks that have more than one composer's work on it which completely screws everything up.

How do you guys handle that?

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I arrange by composer, but there are plenty of disks that have more than one composer's work on it which completely screws everything up.

How do you guys handle that?

I would have bought the disc for a reason. If I bought it because I wanted to listen to a piece by a composer, I file it under that composer. If I bought it because of the conductor, or soloist, then it gets filed under the conductor or soloist (separate sections in my collection for that).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing