How do I burn sacd iso files that play sacd on my denon sacd-player?

ijdeltuit

Feb 28, 2016
For more than 15 years I have been playing SACD's on several sacd/dvd-players. The first were from Sony, but after having the laser repaired once too often I switched to a second hand Denon, that I could buy for € 35. On a few cd's it makes a soft noise, so that's probably why it was so cheap. I don't hear it if I turn the volume up a tiny bit.
Since I quit my illegal activities I cannot afford to buy SACD's anymore; actually I cannot afford any CD's. So I have been downloading most of my music these last 10 years. Mostly in FLAC, which sounds great on my stereo*. To my surprise I found a copy of The Notorious Byrd Brothers, that was much larger than most flac files. Something in the region of 4.2 GB. It turned out to be an .iso sacd file that should be burned on a dvd-disc. I was hoping to be able to find a cheap source for sacd's, so I bought a small pack of blank dvd's and burned the .iso file on CDBurnerXP, a free app. I put it in my trusted Denon and waited for the magic to happen, but all I heard was my own breathing. I tried it with a different app, ISO Image, but the results were equally disappointing. Here is my question: What am I doing wrong and what can I do to get a more satisfying result? Please keep in mind that I am very poor but very resourceful. Thanks in advance from a destitute and desperate audio-fanatic.
*My stereo consists of Denon DVD-1920 dvd audio-video/super audio cd-player, Denon Integrated Amplifier PMA-500AE, IXOS 100.x03 studio connect silver plated OFC cables, 2 Sony SS-LA 300ED ultimate luxury audio system speakers with Monster cable and 2 B & W DM 620 with cheap cables.
My PC is an HP Media Center m 7000 with 1 GB ram and Asus dvd-E616A VP08 and TSST corp cd/dvdw TS_H552L 0614 writers

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
SACD uses a physical watermark on each DVD disc that the drive reads first before allowing access. If it does not find that, it won't recognize it as SACD.

And yeh what thedudeabides said :).

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I deleted my post before Amir replied because I thought it was too presumptive.

So to repeat in a more polite manner, I trust the OP is trying to rip SACD's that he has previously purchased and not borrowing from others and ripping.

The question I raised was royalty rights for the artist's music.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Very few disc players will play a DVD burned from a file such as you describe, and they are all old. Oppo's could at one time but firmware updates removed that capability. You can extract the DSD files from the .iso using free utilities and then do any number of things with them, but getting an SACD from them is not one of those possibilities AFAIK. You can look at threads on ripping your SACD's using a PS3 for more information.

Onepoint5

Sep 23, 2011
Accuphase and even some of the newer Sony BD players can play DSF files burned to a DVD. The method follows the Sony standard of the DSD_DISC structure. (google DSD_DISC).

To create DSF files, SACD_Extract combined with a Sonore gui will work well, they even have the small tick at the beginning of the track licked.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Oppo BDP-9x and BDP-10x will play DSF or DIFF files burned to disc, but that's not what the OP is asking.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
SACD uses a physical watermark on each DVD disc that the drive reads first before allowing access. If it does not find that, it won't recognize it as SACD.

And yeh what thedudeabides said :).

Actually, SACDs use pit-width modulaton throughout the optical disc, unlike any other digital media. It is not just a one-time thing on the initial disc read. This requires special drives for SACD, as are now common on Universal players, supporting all the other common formats as well.

So far, this has been the most robust DRM scheme of them all, beyond DVD and BD and combining both hardware and software, where most others use just software. All software can be hacked, eventually. It is just a matter of time and effort. Hardware is much tougher. But, the hack has been done.

The only major hack so far has been certain very specific early versions of Sony's PS3 which accidentally exposed this in software, before Sony woke up and closed the barn door, imposing lockouts to this in later versions of the PS3's OS. Other player manufacturers have complied with avoiding this possibility of a hack. But, there is a community of SACD rippers who have put this all together and are ripping SACDs to their hard drives as unencrypted DSD using a software hack on the old PS3s with the old, vulnerable version of the OS.

How do I know this? Let's just say that I own several very specific "antique" PS3 models, and I do not play any games on them.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I've been ripping SACD's for 10yr. using professional equipment. See THIS thread.

To the OP... you need to author the .iso image correctly so the SACD player will be able to play the disc. I believe the above poster pointed you in the direction.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing