How can one tell they need to upgrade one's Cables? Any cues?

caesar

May 30, 2010
How do people know it's time to change a cable or to upgrade to a newer model?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There will be an itch in the crack of your arse. Has to be scratched

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
How do people know it's time to change a cable or to upgrade to a newer model?

There is hardly ever a need to upgrade cables.

Cables do not wear out, or hardly ever break. So, there is no need to upgrade them.

There is an option for one to upgrade cables, if they want.

We can ask the guys who don't believe in cables to stay out of the thread...

I believe in cables.

I see them everytime I listen to my system. I have almost absolute certainty they exist.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Simple. When you demo a new cable and it sounds better than your old cable, buy it.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Cables are flogging strips for audiophilia nervosa.

You need new ones when your wallet is bursting and your AN is driving you around the bend.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
No one ever NEEDS to upgrade --- anything. Upgrading is a part of this [strike]addiction[/strike] hobby. It is just what we do. More than once, I had said I have reached Audio Nirvana and a year later have replaced 75% of my entire system.

Way too many in this hobby and others (I would be part of this) spend too much time thinking about the what the next "upgrade" will be than we do enjoying what we have already been blessed to own. We kid ourselves that once we get the next shinny piece of metal (or whatever), THEN we will be "happy". Go read about addictions. And if you are totally and completely honest with yourself, some may recognize they are afflicted .. but most won't. It is hard to admit that maybe, just maybe, you don't NEED the "next best thing".

Just sayin'

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Audioguy, truthfully we really know when we’ve found components, or a blend, that works.
After incessant upgrading over two decades, I haven’t bought a new round of main components since 2015, relying mainly on modding current items, and maxxing system- wide impvts like room acoustics, power grid and vibration isolation.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Let's wait for 2020 then. The question is how long till you get bored?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, I’m not bored.
If I was, I’d be throwing my toys out of the pram.
3 tts/arm/carts/phonos plus 2 rounds of major mods to my analog, 4 cdps with 1 round of major mods, 5 sets of amps (the last 2 being all tubes), and 4 prs of loudspeakers (with major upgrade on most recent pr), is enough for one lifetime.
Hearing stellar setups like Paul’s of Z Axis Audio, Barry’s SGM/Duos, and impressive sounds like Justin’s 211s/Duettas, in the past would have driven me to uproot.
No more.
The epiphany of near perfect room acoustics has put pay to that.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Audioguy, truthfully we really know when we’ve found components, or a blend, that works.
After incessant upgrading over two decades, I haven’t bought a new round of main components since 2015, relying mainly on modding current items, and maxxing system- wide impvts like room acoustics, power grid and vibration isolation.

I'm not suggesting EVERYONE is afflicted. And, FWIW, I've gone for long periods of time (2 or 3 years) where my system had ZERO changes. But then I hear about, or read about some new "thingy" and the "lust cycle" starts again. I can only speak for me .. but it should be clear to some others that they don't need to upgrade either. I am also not suggesting that if you upgrade, you have an addiction. One has to carefully examine the real drive behind the upgrade.

I had no clue I had an issue until about 20 years ago, I just happen to read a couple of books on the subject of addiction. And when I honestly compared my behavior and mental gymnastics against what I read, there was no denying the truth. But as I said, that's just me.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Of course we’re all different.
An ex-friend of mine started his audio hobby in 1996 when I did.
I went all-Roksan, him all-Rega.
He never bought another component other than streamer from that day. I continued to buy. He remains v happy.
You’re to be commended for such honesty w yourself.
For me I know that to go to any significant level beyond where I am would require substantial outlay of at least £75k on a new tt and pair of horns, or £60k on new tt, pr Apogees/stats and appropriate SS amps.
I’m just not minded to do this.
I can get my upgrade kicks on my last area of OCD system enhancements, vibration isolation, and leave it there.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I want to upgrade..never need to..I love playing with new toys..my justification is to get me as deep into the music as possible..I want my next eargasm to be better than the last.
I wish I had a $ for every time an audiophile says "this is the last thing i'm buying" and then lapses

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh Rodney, I don’t wish to come off as holier than thou.
I’m still spending a small fortune, but on things that enhance component performance, just not on new components.
I’m philosophical that to truly get a significant, radical step up over my current sound, I’d have to sign the check on gear 3x the price of what I currently run.
There’s no point on me settling for less.
And I won’t do it.
Now if a set of AG Trios w Basshorns came up for a good price...
In the world as it is, a couple more cable upgrades, possible Townshend Maximum Supertweeters, potential bespoke star ground system, Stacores thruout, ultrasonic lp cleaner, disc demag and lp flattener, will do me.
It’ll be v hard to resist the siren call of the new flagship Zus when they’re released in the next 12-24 months. But resist I will.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I want to upgrade..never need to..I love playing with new toys..my justification is to get me as deep into the music as possible..I want my next eargasm to be better than the last.
I wish I had a $ for every time an audiophile says "this is the last thing i'm buying" and then lapses

+1
i dont think we hurt anyone.
its a part of the "game" FOR ME.
i'm listening to music every day for hours in my music room....
and the "audiophile game" (buying new stuff, upgrading, learning about new tone arms, carts' cables, stands, amps. speakers etc) is another level of excitement to add to my music affection.

i think when i was made my leap to my full loom of SILTECH DC... i was able to "relax" to that regard..
but never felt need, just a want.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Same as any other component or part in your system...

I would say that I see a lot of systems, not necessarily here, but a lot that are being held back by mediocre cables. Especially interconnect cables, they are critical to resolving fine detail.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I know of a demo set with 6 basshorns for round eu 130k...go on , bite the bullet..you know you want them....

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Rodney, I’m glowing just a little.
How about a little cash advance?
I’m an audiophile, you can trust me ??.
You know the advantage of a stellar sounding acoustic 18x38x9 room? The Trios/BHs would be magical here.
You know the advantage of the only access being 24” wide spiral stairs or a 24” x 12” hatch? The Trios/BHs are too big to get up here.
I say advantage, because I need reasons not to consider them.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Ive heard them in a room your size , ceilings a bit higher.. they worked quite well... :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing