Hollow Quadratic Diffusor

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Hello Everyone,

I have a bank of RPG Diffractals across my back wall. The upper frequency benefit is apparent. However, when looking at the back side, they are hollow, creating a cavity when they are mounted on the wall. I have some 1" thick rigid fiberglass left over from an ancient project, and my automatic thinking, is that I should use it to fill in these back side cavities of the Diffractals. Although, I believe this won't hurt anything... I'm not really sure if it will actually help anything. I do have some bass buildup where these are positioned, and was thinking that the fiberglass, might be beneficial. Anyone here have any thoughts, or opinions?

Below is a photo of the back side of one of the Diffractals off of the wall. You can easily see how much of a cavity space there is:
diff01rs.jpg

Last edited:

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
Yes, adding absorption is a good idea. It might give a bit of bass trapping, and it might reduce resonance. Worst case is no difference, and best case is a small improvement.

--Ethan

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I also have six RPG diffractals in the front wall of my room. I have considered putting a rigid fiberglass plate behind them, even got the proper thickness and at the last minute decided not to do it. Nowhere in the RPG literature they advise to do it, and I preferred to assume they know what they do. Much less stressing ...

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
I also have six RPG diffractals in the front wall of my room. I have considered putting a rigid fiberglass plate behind them, even got the proper thickness and at the last minute decided not to do it. Nowhere in the RPG literature they advise to do it, and I preferred to assume they know what they do. Much less stressing ...

I can't find where RPG advises NOT to do it either. They don't appear to address it either way. So is it possible you are working on a false assumption?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I am surprised they do not offer a combination diffusor/absorber panel. (...)

Don,
Although it will depend of the values of coefficients and frequencies you are targeting, the RPG Diffractal has absorption and diffusion. On some of their devices RPG advise to use or not rigid fiberglass plate behind them, and supply data on both conditions. However they do not refer to it using the Diffractal.
http://www.rpginc.com/product_Diffractal.cfm

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I can't find where RPG advises NOT to do it either. They don't appear to address it either way. So is it possible you are working on a false assumption?

Surely. But on other type of acoustic devices they advise to do it and supply data on its effect. To make it clear - I am not an expert and could not foresee what would be the effect of adding the fiberglass. So I mounted them in the way they suggest in their application notes.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Surely. But on other type of acoustic devices they advise to do it and supply data on its effect. To make it clear - I am not an expert and could not foresee what would be the effect of adding the fiberglass. So I mounted them in the way they suggest in their application notes.

LOL! I know what you mean... obviously I'm not an expert either. I have had them hung up for years, without thinking about putting anything inside of them. It only occured to me when I was having to move one to a different location.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing