High Fidelity Cables

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Hi.
Can anyone share their experiences with these cables? They come in three different series. I would like to hear about their IC, speaker cables etc. Also build quality, what systems they are used in etc.

And, comparisons with other cable brands if possible. I have read a lot of positive reviews about them

Thanks

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I went to this dude's exhibit at the lone star audio fest. He had the most elaborate system there. He explained to me that his cables need magnets to "pull" the signal through the cable. Pure weirdness going on there. He was lucky to have Voxativ speakers, so it sounded decent.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's the crux of the patent they licensed:

The signal voltage for standard inter-component audio signals is typically between 0 V to 2 volts root mean square (V RMS), and generally with negligible or little current. The frequency range is typically 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, with some systems requiring a frequency range up to 50,000 Hz. The test signal was a 1,000 Hz sine wave generated with a notebook computer using a TrueRTA real time analyzer (RTA) Tone Generator. A first test was run using a 1 kHz sine wave at ?10 dB, or about 0.2 volts amplitude. Because a standard signal voltage level is generally about 1 volt, this test was determined to be run at too low a voltage level to provide meaningful results based on the capabilities of the test setup. Accordingly, a second test was run using a 1 kHz sine wave at a more realistic ?3 dB, or about 1.0 volt amplitude, which better represents a typical inter-component voltage level. For completeness, however, the results of both tests are provided below.

The results were then analyzed for total harmonic distortion (THD), total harmonic distortion+noise (THD+N), Intermodulation Distortion (IMD), and signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), using SpectraPLUS software. The two tables below provide a summary of the results.
TABLE 1
?10 dB Amplitude Test
?10dBTHDTHD + NIMDSNR
Standard Connector Cable
Sine Computer 0.03498%0.03610%0.2549%68.849 dB
(Linear Phase
Filter)
Sine DAC0.01813%0.15582%0.2553%56.148 dB
(Minimum Phase
Filter)
Magnet Connector Cable
Sine Computer0.03505%0.03720%0.2559%68.589 dB
Sine DAC0.02014%0.15623%0.2557%56.124 dB
TABLE 2
?3 dB Amplitude Test
?3dBTHDTHD + NIMDSNR
Standard Connector Cable
Sine Computer 0.02181%0.02199%0.2554%73.157 dB
(Linear Phase
Filter)
Magnet Connector Cable
Sine Computer 0.01798%0.01842%0.2553%74.694 dB
The test results appear to show a slight decrease in performance for the signal cable using the magnet center-pin at the ?10 dB signal level. There was a slight increase in both THD and noise, plus a slight decrease in SNR. The differences were between 0.4% and 3% of the total THD/noise, and the SNR decreased by 0.26 dB. One potential hypothesis for this result is that the signal cable with the magnet center-pin may be allowing lower-level noise within the signal-generating computer to be transmitted through to the digital recorder. That is, the threshold for signal transmission for the cable with the magnet connector may be lower than for the cable with the standard non-magnet connector. Again, and regardless of the actual reason, the ?10 dB signal level was determined to be too low to provide meaningful results.

The test results show a significant improvement in performance for the signal cable using the magnet center-pin at the ?3 dB signal level. There was a decrease of approximately 20% for the THD/noise, and there was an increase of the SNR of approximately 1.54 dB. Further, the tests showed an absolute THD+noise reduction of approximately 20% when only the analog signal was changed. There generally would have been THD+noise generated by the signal computer and the Tascam US-122L recording device. There also would be expected to be small levels of THD+noise resulting from the adaptors, both from the computer and into the recording device. The THD+noise from these devices would have been consistent from one test to the other. Thus, the reduction in THD+noise of the signal cable by itself would be expected to have been greater than the measured 20%.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The only thing this says to me is basically a reaffirmation to keep signal cables (especially phono) away from magnetic fields, as they can be affected based on the signal level

Reactions: RogerD

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
No thank you. I wouldn't buy anything from Rick Schultz the "Oddiophile". The guy went belly up with his first venture Virtual Dynamics and his "Speed of Light" technology. Now he's hawking the "Magnetic Conduction" technology with his new venture, High Fidelity Cables. It's nothing more that pseudo-scientific babble.

Then there's this masterpiece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbzcFGcckI

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Cables are very system dependent.

I tried the CT-1 interconnects and didn't feel they represented any improved over the new Audience Au24 SEs.

If you're looking for interconnects, another cable you should check out is the new JPS Superconductor Vs.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Oh yes, cables are indeed very system dependent. I read in another thread about High Fidelity Cables, but that one ended in a long discussion over other cable brands. Not uncommon!

The press are very positive about HFC cables, without exeption. I would appreciate more user feedback. I also see that there are many HFC up for sale on Agon, they all ( well almost) say that they will upgrade in the HFC line.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
No thank you. I wouldn't buy anything from Rick Schultz the "Oddiophile". The guy went belly up with his first venture Virtual Dynamics and his "Speed of Light" technology. Now he's hawking the "Magnetic Conduction" technology with his new venture, High Fidelity Cables. It's nothing more that pseudo-scientific babble.

Actually, the principles behind "Magnetic Conduction" are very similar to those used in the Large Hadron Collider.

And judging people based on the past failures would mean you'd have to discount 99% of humanity from being worthy of investing in. Like Steve Jobs.

Reactions: lordcloud

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
...or Brian Harrison of Solyndra

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Then there's this masterpiece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbzcFGcckI

Actually I don't think VD was Rick's first foray. I think he also did Aural Symphonics that many people liked at the time? Rick also imported audio magazines into Canada for while including mine. BTW, Rick's been in the industry for quite a while and IIRC worked at Audible Illusions for a while?

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
Hello,

I had the chance to experiment recently the HFC cables in my system (CT-1 and CT-1 Enhanced).
They are part of the best cables I have ever experienced. Entry level might sound a bit thin but the mid-range sounds really good: plenty of details, air, beautiful timbers, density, holographic soundstage.
It is quite uncommon testing wires (speakers & interconnects) that seem to have no flaws (except one, the price). A kind of rather good balance between a set of Cardas clear and a set of Nordost Valhalla for example...
I think I will wait for 2014 and the next release of balanced interconnects and also bi-wire speaker cables. The association of both speakers + interconnects sounds really great. And there is really a significant improvement between mid-range and entry level.

My 2 cents...

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
I use a few of his cables they did make huge difference compared to others i have used. I have been happy with them but i haven't tried thousands of cables, but his are the best i have tried.

Last edited:
Much time has passed since this last post. These cables have been very favorably reviewed, and I have an entire loom of the top-of-the-line, Ultimate Reference cables. Frankly, I have never heard any cables that sound like these. The resolution is so complete that you hear details heretofore lost. There is an ease about them that makes the image quite real including precise locations, dynamics, defined bass, and hearing the decay of notes. I should also add that they now have power cords using the same technology as well as an ac filter, which are also exceptional, at least when all the other HFCables are used.

With the exception of the initial CT-1 cables, I have had complete looms of the Enhanced, Ultimate, and Ultimate Reference cables. There are several warnings that I might make. First they take longer and longer to breakin as one goes through the various series. Two, they hate to be moved and might take overnight to recover in many instances. Three, they also hate to be on hardwood floors or carpet. Four, I doubt seriously whether there will ever be a true balanced version. It is hard to conceptualize and EXR stuffed with over a hundred and fifty magnets. I have compared these cables in single ended versus balanced versions of other cables and clearly prefer the HFCs.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
HFC now has an elaborate website complete with the requisite sexy-voiced lady explaining the "technology" who closes by stating "magnets make more music"...oh my..

http://www.magnetsmakemoremusic.com/

I have tried all four series of High Fidelity Cables, including the original CT-1s, Enhanced, Ultimate, and Ultimate Reference. Each one with sufficient breakin is superior to those earlier in the line. Since being very impressed with the interconnects and speaker wires, I have tried their power cords and there prefer the Ultimate Reference Rhodiums. I have also heard three versions of their Waveguide power centers and own the latest version.

My first hearing was of the standard which was so different from anything preceding it that I thought these cables were revolutionary. One thing that I should note is that each of the more recent series takes longer to breakin. Each also has more magnets in them and of stronger rare earths.

I have owned or heard some very expensive ics and speakerwires, including Siltech and Tara. None compete with these cables especially if used in conjunction with their power cords and new Waveguide power center. Their ease, detail, dynamics, sound stage, and quietness are beyond anything that I ever expected was possible. I should also note that I have reviewed nearly all of these cables on Stereotimes. Nothing I have said here, however, should be taken to mean that others cannot come up with something better.

Concerning the expense in particular that for the Ultimate Reference ics and speaker wires and of the Ultimate Reference Rhodiums, all I can say is that begrudgingly I had to come up with the money.

I have known Rick for many years and have always heard about magnets. I think he really understands what he has learned and implemented. From my physics major and many EE courses, I have some inkling of how this works, but I have no lack of confidence that it is working.

CSL

Apr 22, 2012
I am a user... I couldnt help myself

Hello,

I had the chance to experiment recently the HFC cables in my system (CT-1 and CT-1 Enhanced).
They are part of the best cables I have ever experienced. Entry level might sound a bit thin but the mid-range sounds really good: plenty of details, air, beautiful timbers, density, holographic soundstage.
It is quite uncommon testing wires (speakers & interconnects) that seem to have no flaws (except one, the price). A kind of rather good balance between a set of Cardas clear and a set of Nordost Valhalla for example...
I think I will wait for 2014 and the next release of balanced interconnects and also bi-wire speaker cables. The association of both speakers + interconnects sounds really great. And there is really a significant improvement between mid-range and entry level.

My 2 cents...

Yes, I have a 4 way system that is highly resolving horns. I had Kondo silver, and a few other well regarded wires. By happenstance, i heard of Rick. investigated. Tried them on a loan for IC. started at the lower end. but so amazingly detailed that i went up the ladder to the Ultimates. Wow. Jaw dropped in the new information hearing. I have an excellent turntable with 2 terrific tonearms and very expensive carts. so i tried the Ultimate Reference tonearm cable on one. Cannot go back. Bought a 2nd for the other arm.

i have been in this hobby 25 years.....and have to say .....in my system (listen to jazz, female vocals, classical) these cables are the best ever heard.

additionally, Rick is one of the best in the industry. Know a lot of people, and he is as honest as the day is long. Pure pleasure to deal with.

i can only say, try and see. if you have a system that can be revealing, these cables will probably be a step up.
happy listening.

Oh yes, cables are indeed very system dependent. I read in another thread about High Fidelity Cables, but that one ended in a long discussion over other cable brands. Not uncommon!

The press are very positive about HFC cables, without exeption. I would appreciate more user feedback. I also see that there are many HFC up for sale on Agon, they all ( well almost) say that they will upgrade in the HFC line.

There has been a succession of improving designs and, in my experience each is indeed better. So having lesser cables up for sale means, in many instances that users are selling lesser cables.

I certainly know of no rivals for these ics, speaker wires, and pcs.

Joel

Sep 13, 2013
www.audiophile-magazine.com
There has been a succession of improving designs and, in my experience each is indeed better. So having lesser cables up for sale means, in many instances that users are selling lesser cables.

I certainly know of no rivals for these ics, speaker wires, and pcs.

Speaker cables make sonething special indeed.
An important fact to be mentionned anyway is their important capacitance.
Compared to a normal wire, in my system at three meters from the speakers there is a loss of circa 5 dB with the HFC, that is not small...
IMO you need to partner them with the right speakers and amps (as usual...) and not ask for insane level in the bottom end.
That said, they are excellent wires...

Speaker cables make sonething special indeed.
Compared to a normal wire, in my system at three meters from the speakers there is a loss of circa 5 dB with the HFC, that is not small...
IMO you need to partner them with the right speakers and amps (as usual...) and not ask for insane level in the bottom end.
That said, they are excellent wires...

I have just returned from the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. Thankfully HFC was fully there with a fully "Pro" system with 17" waveguides and speakers fully wired with their wire, and finally a fully magnets connected amp. By Sunday it was truly amazing and expensive. More importantly, there were demonstrations in the adjacent room of what is going on. Rick was showing how magnets could concentrate electron flow and much else to show that audio circuits really are electro magnets.

The "Pro" system is really not intended for the typical audiophile. I added one power cord in this series to my system to the typical benefits of moving up in the HFC lines and evolution, namely more transparency and quiet. I have ordered a second for my amp, but will stop there. The idea of dealing with balancing 17" waveguides on top of my 18KVA isolators is just too much. Nor would I like connect one to a component weighing 15 pounds on the third rack shelf of a Star Sound Rhythm.

The ideal system would have only waveguides from wall plug to speakers. I imagine that it would be outstanding, but I don't want to plumb my system.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A

A very good point Joel, that mirrors in part my own experience with HFC cables, Over a period of several weeks I moved up the food chain with Single ended signal cables, eventually settling upon the CT-1 UR's that have remained in my system for a couple of years now and I simply would not be without them.

However, this was not to prove a universal success story with my time with HFC speaker cable, Once again I worked my way up the model line eventually arriving once again at UR. As Joel has eluded to, I always felt that I was fighting against the LCR characteristics of the HFC's in that I just could not attain the same Mahoosive Soundstage and vast 3D like bubble of sound that I could achieve with a couple of other speaker cables to hand Viz: Magnan Audio Ref , Transparent Audio Reference MM2, no matter how much I cranked up my ARC Pre , and as fabulous as they were on tonality, transparency etc,etc, I just could not reconcile myself to the loss of dB's in the room.

I should caviat this report by disclosing that the speakers in my system were ML CLX Anniversaries and therefore do present quite a challenging load at 90dB and 0.7 Ohms at 20kHz.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing