Hifi and getting old

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Where did the goosebumps go? Do we just get hard as we age or does diminished hearing play a role? Soundstage and imaging has never been better in my room yet my ability to get pulled into the music is getting more and more difficult. I want to try throwing more money at the problem because I miss the ride. My mind could make moving pictures out of nearly anything I played, now gone! The goosebumps from crescendos that specific songs would never fail to give me also mia. Home hearing tests show I can still hear what the mic in my cell phone can measure, so at least my hearing isn't damaged. Perhaps a lack of new music from my generation, idk

Reactions: Steveo

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Maybe it's not the hardware but the software: give new, or different, music a go! I just lately discovered that I like Poulenc & Debussy -- much more than I thought before. Revisting me kept me glued to the to see a whole day (with short pauses for food & drink)!

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Where did the goosebumps go? Do we just get hard as we age or does diminished hearing play a role? Soundstage and imaging has never been better in my room yet my ability to get pulled into the music is getting more and more difficult. I want to try throwing more money at the problem because I miss the ride. My mind could make moving pictures out of nearly anything I played, now gone! The goosebumps from crescendos that specific songs would never fail to give me also mia. Home hearing tests show I can still hear what the mic in my cell phone can measure, so at least my hearing isn't damaged. Perhaps a lack of new music from my generation, idk
I'm always desperately sorry when I hear from friends that their hearing is deteriorating or that tinnitus is spoiling the experience. Thankfully so far, my 78 year old ears have not let me down, although I'm sure the very highest frequencies are unnoticeably passing me by.

You have great equipment, but one suggestion that may add a few more goosebumps would be to consider good quality horn speakers. Before buying my Avantgarde Unos 20 years ago, I was enjoying KEF Reference 107s (then their top-of-the-range offering) and after that for a short while ATC Active 50s. I was disappointed by the ATCs so, in looking around at possible replacements, I stumbled on Stereophile's 2000 review of the Uno and their choosing it as Speaker of the Year. Just by reading Robert Deutsch's excellent description, goosebumps arrived! A quick demo in a most unsuitable tiny basement showroom convinced me that this was the way to go. I bought the Unos and have had goosebumps ever since, though I've upgraded from Unos to Duos to the current Duo XDs. Whether I'll be seduced into looking at the not-yet-released active Duo GT remains to be seen, but if funds permit, this is likely to be my next purchase. I suspect they may bring out goosebumps on my goosebumps!

Please visit a dealer with a good demo system and I think you may be asking them to allow you a home demo of Avantgarde speakers. Apart from their small sweet spot, I’ve had no reservations whatsoever about these wonderful, bonkers-looking beasts that generate more goosebumps than any other speakers I've heard!

Last edited:
Reactions: steve59

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Frankly I'm not surprised by your comments; given your very digital system. Nature is analog and if you're older your body knows better and as they say, listen to your body!

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Nature is analog

An old myth. Please read https://medium.com/intuitionmachine/the-digital-and-analog-nature-of-biology-3cb30364cc09

And it is well known that the eye retina is digital - it is why analog purists listen with closed eyes. ;)

and if you're older your body knows better and as they say, listen to your body!

david

Yes, we should persuade young audiophiles to use absorbers in their ears to reduce bandwidth when evaluating equipment.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
An old myth. Please read https://medium.com/intuitionmachine/the-digital-and-analog-nature-of-biology-3cb30364cc09

And it is well known that the eye retina is digital - it is why analog purists listen with closed eyes. ;)
LOL, good one!
Yes, we should persuade young audiophiles to use absorbers in their ears to reduce bandwidth when evaluating equipment.
No need Apple and portable digital have done that with their earbuds and in high end streaming’s been lowering standards all on it’s own. But we digress from OP and he’s not enjoying his sound!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) No need Apple and portable digital have done that with their earbuds and in high end streaming’s been lowering standards all on it’s own. But we digress from OP and he’s not enjoying his sound!

It is curious that you refer to Apple and portable digital and the poor quality of early streaming implementations and I prefer to think about the great digital sound engineers and great current digital music from great performers in current recordings, available to millions at a click of the mouse in excellent sounding systems, as shown by the example of the majority of WBF members. As they say, half empty, half full bottle! ;)

Back to the OP, people having hobbies commonly have up and down phases - you pick someone in a down phase to promote your opinions, I just consider it part of normal statistics.

But Steve59 makes an interesting remark in his last sentence - I would probably have given up in this hobby if I was still listening to the same music and recordings I listened in the decades before 2000 - I need fresh blood in my music and an occasional trip in the past.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It is curious that you refer to Apple and portable digital and the poor quality of early streaming implementations and I prefer to think about the great digital sound engineers and great current digital music from great performers in current recordings, available to millions at a click of the mouse in excellent sounding systems, as shown by the example of the majority of WBF members. As they say, half empty, half full bottle!
Actually I was referring to the very latest and to each his own.
Back to the OP, people having hobbies commonly have up and down phases - you pick someone in a down phase to promote your opinions, I just consider it part of normal statistics.

I addressed the OP with what I believe is the reason for his lack of interest why don’t you focus on him and discuss his issues instead of this bullshit with me? Tell him he’s a statistic.

david

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

This short essay hardly makes the case that nature is not analog. I’ll help you by narrowing your point and say that this short essay hardly makes the case that nature has a digital component.

The author writes of “digital mechanisms” with no reasoning or proof. There is no analysis; he simply chooses to label certain things as digital.

“The brain should have a digital component as predicted by this hypothesis of code duality. That digital component shares the same origin as our immune system.” (emphasis added) What kind of weak logic and mere assertion is this?

There is no analysis or evidence as to why the immune system is digital. He is assuming and hypothesising. The author sprinkles the word “digital” on some amorphous claims, and labels things as “digital” with no basis in science or in fact.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This short essay hardly makes the case that nature is not analog. I’ll help you by narrowing your point and say that this short essay hardly makes the case that nature has a digital component.

The author writes of “digital mechanisms” with no reasoning or proof. There is no analysis; he simply chooses to label certain things as digital.

“The brain should have a digital component as predicted by this hypothesis of code duality. That digital component shares the same origin as our immune system.” (emphasis added) What kind of weak logic and mere assertion is this?

There is no analysis or evidence as to why the immune system is digital. He is assuming and hypothesising. The author sprinkles the word “digital” on some amorphous claims, and labels things as “digital” with no basis in science or in fact.

Did you also read about the retina?

BTW, no one is saying that nature is digital, just that there are examples of digital in nature.

Last edited:

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
When engineering and testing new components, engineered from scratch, there are always two categories that I follow: emotions and sound.
Emotions have a very high priority to me, but the sound could be used as an instrument in audio to make music more understandable.

If one does good in engineering, everything makes sense, it becomes music instead of hifi. Hifi for me is sound without the ability to present the music in an analytical manner, without presenting it in a context. That's what most audio gear can do. We can talk about it's sound, without the understanding of the music. Celibidache once said, there is sound without music, and there is sound which leads towards the music.

If a component is correct in this regard, it always can sort the puzzle and put the musicians in the right place making their play understandable.
That's what I'm searching for in music reproduction and that's what music makes enjoyable to me.

The real enjoyment could only be when this analytical approach is given to equipment, but it has to be added with the spice of much emotional impact to the listener.
There are audio gears out there, which can deliver a puzzle of fragments of music without any sort of emotion to the listener.
Some listeners prefer this way of listening, it's the intelectual approach of music audition.

Others don't need this, they are happy, when the emotional approach is satisfied. They are lucky, most of this gear can be had for cheap.
But even here, not every cheap gear can fulfill this attribute of emotional reproduction. Modern transistor amps combined with digital audio mostly isn't able to do so, relative cheap analog combined with tube amps can be very satisfying.

So first, you have to determine what kind of listener you are, the emotional one, the intelectual one or the combination of both.
The combination listener has to pay high prices for satisfaction in music reproduction and IMHO it needs the gear of the highest quality.
The intelectual listener can be satisfied with the ordinary, modern high end gear in audio, often this gives him (or her) goosebumps, because it's super analytical, highly neutral but in general much less emotional (but he doesn't want this aspect anyway).

One has to find out, what is the most satisfactional category of gear for oneself and then, after knowing that, just searching for gear of that category. For that, profound knowledge of the sound of audio gear is necessary, or consult an expert on this topic to have him help you.

It's not in general the case that age reduces the ability to feel goosebumps with reproduced music. In my case, the more I did know what kind of gear and music stuff turns me on, the closer I was able to move in this direction to get kicks out of it. Despite the ongoing aging process, I was not able to watch a reduced ability for music to make me happy and give endless emotions.

Serenade

Nov 30, 2022
Funny that some have mentioned analog. I have been a true-blue analog fan for most close to 50 years now. Now that I am in my mid-60s, I am seriously looking forward to the day when I can retire my analog rig and thousands of records for the convenience of a streamer. What is holding me back is the emotional connection with music spun on a TT. The day that streaming will do the same is getting closer, and hopefully I can make the switch within the next decade.

My wish to leave behind analog is purely practical. My eyes are not as sharp to be able to do the precise cartridge alignment or land the stylus on the space of an internal track. My hand is not steady where I can cue accurately. My knees and back not as flexible to be able to squat to change records, and to wet clean the stylus. Cleaning my mouldy records on a RCM is becoming more of a chore. I live in the tropics and the constant humidity means every record needs a good clean on the Nessie every other year to keep the mould and pops/click away.

Certainly streaming music selected and controlled with a tablet from my armchair feels very good when my energy level is low. Instead of reading the LP sleeve, I will read the softcopy with link to Wiki to read about the artiste. Now the best part of streaming will be ............

I can listen to music with a glass of my best single-malt Japanese/Scotch whisky on ice. Now I dread to do so. Five thousand dollar MC cartridge, a spinning over-size platter on TT, and unsteady gaze is an expensive accident waiting to happen.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
For me, at 77, I am losing some of my hearing - high frequencies mostly. My Widex Moment hearing aids have helped a lot, particulary with their Pure Sound setting. I mostly do tape (15ips 2 track) - so analogue, although I do enjoy my digital playback with my Lampi Horizon.

Being retired and playing with my grandkids definitely reduces stress.

Larry

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ok so digital is not a thing. It is an artificial conversion for storage purposes. Anyone who thinks he/she ls listening to digital is way off base.

Reactions: wil

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
Maybe it's not the hardware but the software: give new, or different, music a go! I just lately discovered that I like Poulenc & Debussy -- much more than I thought before. Revisting me kept me glued to the to see a whole day (with short pauses for food & drink)!
I found something similar using a streaming service (Qobuz via Roon). There is simply so much music available and much of it is decently recorded. It took a while for me to understand what was required to lessen the noise inherent in a networked system. Not claiming expertise, just a pragmatic approach.

Not to get personal, but if the OP finds that other activities besides listening to music are also duller, then that is something to look into. COVID has left its mark on most of us due to isolation. That may not be a factor for the OP, but it has been for many, many people. Luckily, we can join forums like this and argue about digital vs. analog just like in the good old days. :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Listen to new music, go to see live bands, buy new music.
That will keep invigorated and young in mind and heart.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing