Hi I need help setting up subwoofer

piotrekhc

Feb 23, 2019
Hi all
I own pair of steljes ns3 speakers connected to my tv via optical which I love. Few days ago I’ve purchased kef kube1 subwoofer, and tbh I have no idea how to set things on back(crossover, volume, phase ets) of the sub to get the best out of my setup. So can some experience audio members help me with this. Thank you in advance. Any tips on sub placement in my living room are welcome as well.
C14252-F1-FF31-4-F74-A136-416-CE3-CED047.jpg IMG_5167.JPG

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello

Placement is hit or miss and can be changed if required. You want it where you get the smoothest LF response. Best done with test signals and an SPL meter or run a LF sweep and you can clearly hear the peaks and nulls. You could just start with where it is or move it away from the corner to say the other side of your TV as a quick comparison.

First thing to figure out is phase. It's simple use music or a test disk that has lots of LF content and flip the switch. Have the sub frequency turn as high as you can go so you have lots of overlap with your mains. Set the sub so it's as loud, level matched with your mains. I see that your sub has EQ set at 0. You can always experiment later. Phase switch position with most bass is the correct setting.

Then set your frequency to around 60Hz try to level match the sub and your mains and see how it sounds. Then just try adjusting frequency and level as you see what sounds best. When it sounds good see how you like the EQ in different positions.

It would be better if you had an SPL meter and an HT Set up DVD as these would supply you with specialized test signals for sub-woofer set-up. You can certainly start by ear to get things going. Have fun and good luck

Search on line go to Sound and Vision Magazine as an example and start reading.

Rob :)

Reactions: piotrekhc

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Hi all
Few days ago I’ve purchased kef kube1 subwoofer, and tbh I have no idea how to set things on back(crossover, volume, phase ets) of the sub to get the best out of my setup. So can some experience audio members help me with this. Thank you in advance. Any tips on sub placement in my living room are welcome as well.

This year I installed a JL Audio F212v2 and a JL Audio CR-1 active crossover. I called JL Audio requesting help setting it up - they were very helpful. I have documented their procedure:
Subwoofer positioning-
Place the subwoofer where the main listening chair is located. Crawl around the room looking for the spots having the strongest bass.

Adjusting Phase Alignment between the Main Speakers and Subwoofers-
Phase Procedure:

CR-1; set bypass button off, sub & satellite frequency 80 Hz; crossover slope 24 dB; mute right speaker

F212v2; set master volume to off; LP filter off; LP frequency doesn’t matter (set on the CR-1); elf trim to 12 o’clock; phase 0.

- Set volume level match between left Raidho and F212v2; turn preamp volume to talking level (track 9) 75 dB; standing exactly between the Raidho and F212v2 turn the master level control clockwise until the volume matches the Raidho left speaker.

- Set F212v2 phase (polarity) to 180 degrees.

- play Sound Doctor CD in repeat for (track 8) 80 Hz; turn the F212v2 phase control clockwise & then counterclockwise to find the quietest position 80 Hz position.

- turn the polarity back to 0 on the F212v2 and unmute the Raidho right speaker on the CR-1.

Home Theater Phase Alignment: add 12 to the distance from the listening position to the subwoofer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing