Head direct out on the Studer A80 RC?

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
There might be a couple of people on this forum that I actually know. They will be astounded to see me now starting a thread here about head direct out.

Especially on a Studer!

But let's face it, this direct out trend just isn't going away!

So, let's say that you happen to own an A80 RC and that you want to use one of the outboard tape stages.

So, how do you do that, knowledgeably and responsibly?

Obviously, you'll want to retain the Studer-manufactured repro head, as they were unquestionably the finest in the world. (I'm sorry if yours is worn out. That's sad.)

You'll also want to retain that head's loading network, as well as its original cabling.

The A80 RC thankfully makes doing this invitingly simple and elegant.

DSC_0213.JPG

On the slide-in, direct-out substitution card (an ATAE product) you have the passive head loading network. Optionally, we can add an active cable driving stage (aka a flat amp).

No wiring changes. No switches added to the signal path. Just swap out the two cards (takes under 30 seconds).

That's how we've been doing it at ATAE, for our customers that want to go down this path.

topoxforddoc

Feb 20, 2015
Cheltenham, UK
That is very neat. Part of me wants to ask Fred about similar cards for the A820. But I'm not going to use my 1/2 inch A820 as my main playback machine. That would be insane :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
There might be a couple of people on this forum that I actually know. They will be astounded to see me now starting a thread here about head direct out.

Especially on a Studer!

That's how we've been doing it at ATAE, for our customers that want to go down this path.

Are these direct out cards for sale? and how much ?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Are these direct out cards for sale? and how much ?

Is there any additional re-wiring/re-routing needed for the output card slots ? In other words, can you take a stock A80, plug these cards in and connect to the outboard pre w/o further modification(s) ?

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
Is there any additional re-wiring/re-routing needed for the output card slots ? In other words, can you take a stock A80, plug these cards in and connect to the outboard pre w/o further modification(s) ?

Answer to your first question: No.

Answer to your second question: Yes.

Preserving the Studer A80 RC recorder-reproducer (keeping it all-original and making no modifications) was the design goal of these direct-out substitution cards.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Answer to your first question: No.

Answer to your second question: Yes.

Preserving the Studer A80 RC recorder-reproducer (keeping it all-original and making no modifications) was the design goal of these direct-out substitution cards.

Thank you Fred. As I am in the process of closing on a new home and renovating the music room there, I will be in touch this upcoming year. I may be a good prospect for one of your A80 based PB only machines. Thanks again for answering my questions.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Obviously, you'll want to retain the Studer-manufactured repro head, as they were unquestionably the finest in the world. (I'm sorry if yours is worn out. That's sad.) (...)

Can we have your opinion on relapping Studer repro heads?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Fred,

I am also interested in your machine. Apart from technical aspects that you modified your machine to be superior to normal Studer for playback, sonically what could I expect to hear over the normal well refurbished A820?

Kind regards,
Tang

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
cute
so calibration pots are removed and its fixed?
for the DIY´r it´s not too complicated to tap the signal after the first stage on the repro board either...

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
cute
so calibration pots are removed and its fixed?

No. This card is for people who want to use an outboard tape stage.

Thus, in its simplest form, the ATAE direct-out substitution card for the A80 RC has only two passive components, a head damping resistor and a capacitor. Those two components form the head loading network.

Optionally, we can add a flat amp for buffered drive of the interconnecting cables.

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
Can we have your opinion on relapping Studer repro heads?

That's a huge topic, actually.

The process would be better named re-contouring.

The face contour (where the tape is in intimate contact) is indeed of great importance.

When this head contact area widens due to abrasive wear, a number of detrimental things happen. This is a factor behind our SHRO headblock designs for the Studer A80 and A820 transports.

So, in a nutshell, head re-contouring is desirable, or sometimes even necessary.

This re-contouring process can be done as many times as the usable depth of the pole piece tips may allow.

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
Dear Fred,

I am also interested in your machine. Apart from technical aspects that you modified your machine to be superior to normal Studer for playback, sonically what could I expect to hear over the normal well refurbished A820?

Kind regards,
Tang

I think your question will be better answered if I say nothing and you listen to the same, high-quality source master tapes played back on an expertly refurbished Studer A820 recorder and then on an ATAE Model One or Model Two reproducer.

Such a comparison demonstration can be done here at ATAE in northern California, given advance notice. You are encouraged to bring your own source tapes and perhaps your own preferred headphone system. (The loudspeakers of our house system are Dunlavy Signature Fours, now over twenty years old. But I'm not apologizing for them.) We also have over 300 real master tapes (meaning original masters, not copies) available here for your demonstration.

No audiophile that I am aware of is using an ATAE Model One or Model Two reproducer. I would be honored if you decided to be the first. Thanks for your interest in our products.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Aahhhh...First mover again. Shall we do a lucky draw Christian?
I think we have another friend who likes to shoot for the best in every format. I am sure he is following this too :D.

Tang

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Aahhhh...First mover again. Shall we do a lucky draw Christian?
I think we have another friend who likes to shoot for the best in every format. I am sure he is following this too :D.

Tang

That is my dream...ATAE reproducer coupled with their technical training program to maximize the use and maintenance of the machine including proper alignment and calibration techniques.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
ATAE...technical training program to maximize the use and maintenance of the machine including proper alignment and calibration techniques.
Yes, this would be very cool. ;)

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
No. This card is for people who want to use an outboard tape stage.

Thus, in its simplest form, the ATAE direct-out substitution card for the A80 RC has only two passive components, a head damping resistor and a capacitor. Those two components form the head loading network.

Optionally, we can add a flat amp for buffered drive of the interconnecting cables.

Hi Fred, these direct-out cards would be popular with A80 owners - will you offer the cards for sale to forum members and/or the general public?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I would like an ATAE reproducer also.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing