Happy 20th Birthday to my chair

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
in May of 1999 my new chair arrived i had ordered from the 'Relax-The-Back' on line store. i needed the 'tall, narrow' version (extended length top and bottom) of the top of line 'perfect chair' with top level black leather and visco-elastic memory foam. i got the round pillow head rest.......so with the rounded top and curved pillow the sound would never be 'cupped' and effect tonality.

switching to a low back chair does add a degree of space, but otherwise the sound is the same. my room does space so very well it's great in that respect with this chair too.

i've spent 25-30 hours a week listening for 20 years in this chair and i always feel better physically after sitting in it than before. i can and do spend 10-12 straight hours sometime in this chair.......it's my constant companion. the argument can be made that a chair is the most essential part of a system.

if you visit me you will see i pull this chair back into the rear corner of my room and bring out a Cassina K-10 Dodo chair (sits behind the sofa otherwise) which rotates and has a low back for communal listening. the high back of the perfect chair is not workable for groups. part of the reason i move it is that they don't make this chair anymore and i'm not sure what i would do if it breaks. it does require a bit of the specific approach to get in and out of and if the wrong person 'falls' into the chair something bad could happen. i assume it's now a bit fragile and the wood frame could break. but so far no sign of any issues. c-20-2.jpg c-20-1.jpg c-20-3.jpg

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Look like a command seat of the USS Enterprise Captain Mike.

Cheers,
Tang

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The audiophile equivalent of a strong, reliable, faithful pet dog?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The audiophile equivalent of a strong, reliable, faithful pet dog?

i would not want to suggest an inanimate object could replace the companionship of a pet. dogs/cats/birds/etc. they can interact and we connect in special ways. but a chair can be a pretty significant part of the listening experience both positive and negative. and especially it can cause you to want to listen more or less.

i can have aches and pains and an hour or two in my chair can help to mitigate those things. it was designed by NASA in the 50's to minimize rocket takeoff 'G' forces on the human body......as it distributes the weight of the body over it's whole length and not on the spine like most chairs. the back and seat are firm/fixed and not flexible.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, that wasn't meant to be taken literally. Just that a dog is man's best friend, a good chair is...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Mike, for finding the perfect chair for you 20 years ago, and for it having served you well all of these years!

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
Fantastic chair. I have followed your hifi journey for a long time, and that high end throne have always been there. :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Fantastic chair. I have followed your hifi journey for a long time, and that high end throne have always been there. :)

thank you Masterchief, that is kind of you to say.

that picture is from late 2001-2003 sometime as one of my 2 Rockport's (either the Sirius II SE or the Sirius III) is in that picture. can't tell which from that picture. (the Kharma Exquisite's in the foreground arrived in Nov.2001). i moved from that home in late 2003....loved that room.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I would ASSume that it is well formed after all this time :)
Happy Birthday and I hope you bought it a cake and blew out the candles !!!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
i've spent 25-30 hours a week listening for 20 years in this chair and i always feel better physically after sitting in it than before. i can and do spend 10-12 straight hours sometime in this chair

I congratulate you on having that much free time to spend 30 hours of it just listening, maybe I should be running a car dealership too:)!
david

Reactions: GMKF

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I congratulate you on having that much free time to spend 30 hours of it just listening, maybe I should be running a car dealership too:)!
david

---actually it's the opposite. i work 5 and 1/2 days a week and about 55 hours a week, so a boat or summer home, or even traveling, are not really options for me. hifi fits my life situation. and when i'm not at the dealership i'm still connected always.......hifi allows for that to work. and hifi is a great 'zen' antidote for the stress.

--my wife sleeps late and i'm an early riser. so 2 hours of listening every morning is typical before breakfast. with a separate building no issue with noise early in the morning.....or ever.

---get a hour of Fox News during dinner with the wife then i escape all that negativity for a couple hours of listening......most nights.

--kids were out of high school in 1995, and no grandkids. wish i had a few, and would happily trade listening time for that, but it's not up to me.

--weekends an extra 5+ hours listening each day.

--i do watch sports upstairs in my barn mostly football during that season.........and the occasional movie in my dedicated Home Theatre, but not much of a TV watcher at all. zero commercial non sports TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe P and ddk

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
We have had our two in our music room for the better part of six years .
Bought them at Relax the Back in Burnaby. Had them made for madame and moi.
Thanks Mike for the intro to these great chairs.

Reactions: NorthStar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing