GT Audio Works Planar/Ribbon Speakers and Sound Insight Open Baffle Sub Woofers

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
John, thanks for posting the videos! Fyi, the first video is coming up as 'unavailable', so there might have been a copyright claim, or the video may need to be uploaded again.

Straight out of the box, they're sounding musical and dynamic as far as I can tell through my pc's speakers. They also look beautiful. With further breakin the they should open up even more and sound a bit more refined and smooth. How many hours do you have on them so far?
Bodhi - yes it's a copyright issue with the song "Barcarole". I'll have to wait til I'm back from Axpona before I can post additional videos from vinyl.

I'm guessing I have about 50 hours on the speakers and new linestage.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
My personal pair is not the current configuration it uses an outboard box which gives me the ability to change resistor values on-the-fly at shows.
Currently I use two sets of binding post made by cartas for bi wiring if one wishes. Maybe John can do me a favor and take a picture and post it to show you
But if you want a specific connection Hardware let me know I can use anything you want
Tao and Greg - I already have pics and have posted them somewhere. If I'm unable to provide a link here I'll have to wait til I'm back from Axpona as I don't have them with me on my laptop.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Thank you. There are separate binding posts for the large panel and the midrange/upper ribbon, which is what I was curious about. I know that the speaker is crossed over naturally for a single bi-wired amp, but that would also allow the use of an electronic crossover with different amplifiers for each ribbon.

KLH007

Feb 2, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Thank you. There are separate binding posts for the large panel and the midrange/upper ribbon, which is what I was curious about. I know that the speaker is crossed over naturally for a single bi-wired amp, but that would also allow the use of an electronic crossover with different amplifiers for each ribbon.
I may be wrong, but on my GTA 2.5s the speaker terminals are directly connected to the full range magnetic planar panel and a single cap is in the path of the ribbon tweeter, there is no reason/need to bi-amp with an active crossover. The main panel does not require any crossover at all. There are only 2 parts to the 3Rs, the full rage mag planar and a ribbon tweeter. The subwoofer, if needed will have a crossover to roll it off and blend to the GTA 3Rs.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Eric of Zanden Audio was nice enough to stop by yesterday and set up the system we will be showing at Axpona in Steve's listening room.
Push pull pair of KR845 tubes 60 wpc class A. makes a good match with speakers and subs.
Punchy, dynamic, amazing soundstage.
Very happy with the setup...looking forward to the show
Greg
Very impressive...best wishes. Could you tell us a bit more about the speakers and subs in this video?

GT Audio Works

Industry Expert
Feb 12, 2015
Stockholm NJ
www.gtaudioworks.com
Sure you could use an electronic crossover if you wished and separate amplification absolutely the only thing you would have to do would be pull out the passive crossover that's on the Tweeter

GT Audio Works

Industry Expert
Feb 12, 2015
Stockholm NJ
www.gtaudioworks.com
Here are a couple of videos from our room at Axpona.
The speakers were too close together because of the non removable furniture in the room.
The 3x12" per channel open baffle subs were a bit much for such a small space, but to their credit they did not overload the room.
All electronics were Zanden. Throughout the weekend we switched between their 60 watt class A KR845 triode monoblocks, and their KT120 AB stereo amp. Both played with amazing dynamics and spl capabilities.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
Far Hills, NJ
I don't want to praise or disparage the system since I've not heard it. But I have to ask, what is the point of displaying this certificate? What does it say about the system quality? Everyone knows these are "pay to play" commendations. The certificates are printed before the show and are not given to signify anything meaningful as a result of hearing the system at the show and then giving them out subsequently as what some may think is an award of merit. Honestly, this sort of gratuitous PR does your product a disservice. If, on the other hand, you want to pay me what you paid AV Showrooms, I will give you a certificate on real gold foil paper. At least that way, the certificate will be worth more than the paper its printed on.

Apr 30, 2017
You are completely ignorant of the fact that GT Audioworks speaker system has received rave reviews from many other reviewers. More importantly our sales and customers testimonials as to the success of the speakers speak for themselves. In the end the consumer decides what he or she will buy- not what some reviewer thinks of the speakers. I am attaching the link to our Facebook page to document the above.
https://www.facebook.com/sounderinsight/

Also, I am sure you are aware that many high end brands that pay Stereophile and The Absolute Sound for advertising seem to miraculously get good reviews.
I have no problem comparing any speaker at any price to our least expensive system.
We will be at Capital Audiofest in November- so I suggest you hear our system before you post disparaging remarks about our speakers without you having heard them.
Feel free to bring any speakers to Sound Insight to compare them to the GT speaker system.

GT Audio Works

Industry Expert
Feb 12, 2015
Stockholm NJ
www.gtaudioworks.com
I don't want to praise or disparage the system since I've not heard it. But I have to ask, what is the point of displaying this certificate? What does it say about the system quality? Everyone knows these are "pay to play" commendations. The certificates are printed before the show and are not given to signify anything meaningful as a result of hearing the system at the show and then giving them out subsequently as what some may think is an award of merit. Honestly, this sort of gratuitous PR does your product a disservice. If, on the other hand, you want to pay me what you paid AV Showrooms, I will give you a certificate on real gold foil paper. At least that way, the certificate will be worth more than the paper its printed on.
Open your eyes....The whole world is pay to play my friend.
Do you think the big print mags are any better ?? I can assure you they are not.
Since I can't drop $90K on a half page ad in "The Pile" or one of the other rags what's a guy to do ?
Been doing shows for 7 years and the big mags ignore me like the plague.
When you read a glowing review in one of these publications do you take it to heart ?
Not me buddy...I may check out said gear for myself, but no way would I ever buy anything unseen and unheard on anybody's word.
All these reviews or certificates are for is to inform a customer of the existence of a particular company or product.
Most times a reviewers has very particular tastes..some will not enter your room unless you have a turntable...others unless its some high efficiency single cone driven by a flea watt amp...REALLY ??
How is this audio journalism and not playing to their personal tastes ?

Peter B. of AV has hit on a great idea...he and Terry trek all over the world and record quality videos of all kinds of systems for all to see and hear, these are systems you may not hear otherwise. Take a look at the number of videos on his site..its quite substantial. Should he do all this for nothing ?
You infer you can do a better job for the same money...So its OK for you to get paid ?
Who's to say a gold foil merit badge from the likes of you is not doing a disservice to my business ?
You say you can do better.....Are you looking for a job ?
Get me some positive exposure that gets me more sales and I will cut you in for a percentage of each sale.

Tell you what Marty....since you live in the area, why not take a ride over to my dealer on Long Island.
I'll pick you up if you like, then you can hear for yourself.
Don't forget to bring my award.

Greg
GTAW

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My understanding is that Peter B.’s business model is mostly or entirely “pay to play.”

GT Audio Works

Industry Expert
Feb 12, 2015
Stockholm NJ
www.gtaudioworks.com
Ron,
Not entirely.
He did a few free videos for me in 2012 and 2013 when started doing shows.
I'm sure you dont like what Peter does...No surprise...heard it from many within the industry.
What he does is he fills a void created by reviewers who pick and choose their visits to rooms at shows like little bees pollinating only very specific flowers.
A few years back when Capital AuduioFest was a fledgling show with maybe 25-30 exhibit rooms booked, I got to see first hand the degree of snobbery.
There is a highly regarded very expensive exhibit room at CAF where the 18 yr old scotch flows till the wee hours and the cost of the system is blazing new frontiers in insanity.
I watched these contributing mag staff, hover around this room as if overcome by some magical spell.
I entered it one evening to find one reviewer so engaged in the moment he really needed a powder room break to remove fecal matter from the tip of his schnozz.
Meanwhile, here I was I my room, all weekend, mere feet away in plain view of the wonderful goings on across the way.
And not so many as one of these representatives could give a damn of my existence.
Should not the job of a magazine staff be to inform their readership of new products ?
We are only talking 25-30 rooms here and a whole weekend to at least visit every room for 5 or 10 minutes and there would still be ample time for schmoozing the clientele.
This is why myself and others enlist the services of Peter B.
And for your info that big buck room is among his clients as well.

Regards,
Greg
GTAW

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,
Not entirely.
He did a few free videos for me in 2012 and 2013 when started doing shows.
I'm sure you dont like what Peter does...No surprise...heard it from many within the industry.
What he does is he fills a void created by reviewers who pick and choose their visits to rooms at shows like little bees pollinating only very specific flowers.
A few years back when Capital AuduioFest was a fledgling show with maybe 25-30 exhibit rooms booked, I got to see first hand the degree of snobbery.
There is a highly regarded very expensive exhibit room at CAF where the 18 yr old scotch flows till the wee hours and the cost of the system is blazing new frontiers in insanity.
I watched these contributing mag staff, hover around this room as if overcome by some magical spell.
I entered it one evening to find one reviewer so engaged in the moment he really needed a powder room break to remove fecal matter from the tip of his schnozz.
Meanwhile, here I was I my room, all weekend, mere feet away in plain view of the wonderful goings on across the way.
And not so many as one of these representatives could give a damn of my existence.
Should not the job of a magazine staff be to inform their readership of new products ?
We are only talking 25-30 rooms here and a whole weekend to at least visit every room for 5 or 10 minutes and there would still be ample time for schmoozing the clientele.
This is why myself and others enlist the services of Peter B.
And for your info that big buck room is among his clients as well.

Regards,
Greg
GTAW
Thank you, Greg, for this background information. It helps that you know this from the inside.

I appreciate reading about your experience with Peter, and your views on Peter’s business and activities.

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I think the bum's rush in high end audio is the rule rather than the exception, at least until you learn to play the game and politics.

I don't feel right unless I am shunned and belittled at least once at an audio show by somebody who went to high end snob school. It's kind of bracing.

On the other hand, a lot of these guys are obsessives and on the fringe of sanity as well as audiophilia.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing