GT Audio Works GTA 2 Planar Magnetic Loudspeakers

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Dunno, it is going to be hard to find somebody who has heard these boutique speakers.

Price is a bargain for the technology. Holy Apogee, Batman! Ribbons, planar magnetics, powered subwoofers and 90db efficiency, at 3.5K plus tax and shipping it would almost be worth it just to buy a pair and check them out. That is high efficiency for ribbon tech.

Of course, manufacturer provides some encomiums:

http://www.gtaudioworks.com/blog/2012/07/18/NYC-Show.aspx

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I recently traveled from London to New York to listen to these. I have owned Martin Logan summits, and have heard Apogees, Quads, Soundlab Ultimates, Analysis Audio, and Maggies (not 20.7).

I found these to be a close second to the Analysis. the Analysis Omega and Amphitryon with their updated Duelund crossovers retail around 30k, this around 6k. It is a hybrid like Logans, but it's ribbon is beautiful and the speaker is extremely dynamic. A Stat can't get to such dynamism, nor can a Maggie. The Analysis is my favorite speaker and will be, but I think it might make more sense for me to the buy these

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Greg's GT speakers are exactly what you are saying about them. They are the bargain of the century for what they can do vs what they cost. Heard them at shows and at local NY club meetings. They just sound "right". Punchy and dynamic. Transparent to the source. Balanced.

And the manufacturer is a great guy who will stand behind his product.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
"Veni, vidi, vici" is latin quote so you got the verbs misspelt

in latin what you are trying to say

Veni vidi "velcro" = i carbarundum [i stuck around]

:)

KLH007

Feb 2, 2012
Annapolis, MD
I own an early pair of the GTA2s and love them. Magneplanar and ML fans should try to audition these and find out how much dynamic excitement they are missing. He has made some dramatic improvements to the GTA2s, and the pair that bonzo75 heard is the current design, transparent, punchy, focused imaging, expansive soundstage, great realism on percussion/drum kit, it's a shame more people haven't had a chance to hear them, especially the latest version. The GTA2s are emotionally involving and often I listen to an entire CD when I started to listen to a single cut, my feet move, and I smile when a favorite song plays. If you can drive to Northern NJ, please get a chance to hear them at Greg's home, they sound terrific!

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
I own an early pair of the GTA2s and love them. Magneplanar and ML fans should try to audition these and find out how much dynamic excitement they are missing. He has made some dramatic improvements to the GTA2s, and the pair that bonzo75 heard is the current design, transparent, punchy, focused imaging, expansive soundstage, great realism on percussion/drum kit, it's a shame more people haven't had a chance to hear them, especially the latest version. The GTA2s are emotionally involving and often I listen to an entire CD when I started to listen to a single cut, my feet move, and I smile when a favorite song plays. If you can drive to Northern NJ, please get a chance to hear them at Greg's home, they sound terrific!

I am seriously considering the GTA2(.5) speakers. Even to the point of buying unheard. I was a panel speaker guy for almost 30 years and have a lot of experience with Maggies, ML, Acoustat, Apogee, and the like. My one reservation is that of amplification. What are you using to drive the panels? I have 30 watt Berning amp and am concerned I'll need more power.

John

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think Bernings won't work on a panel, but they sell off easily in the used market. You can buy any 100w amp, tube or SS, as your preference

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
I think Bernings won't work on a panel, but they sell off easily in the used market. You can buy any 100w amp, tube or SS, as your preference

Are you concerned about the low power of 30 watts/channel or another concern? Greg seemed to think, as I, a Berning OTL driving the panels would be really transparent, but he did express concern about 30 watts being robust enough to really drive them.

John

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am seriously considering the GTA2(.5) speakers. Even to the point of buying unheard. I was a panel speaker guy for almost 30 years and have a lot of experience with Maggies, ML, Acoustat, Apogee, and the like. My one reservation is that of amplification. What are you using to drive the panels? I have 30 watt Berning amp and am concerned I'll need more power.

John

Based on what people have told me about Berning amps, and what i am told about these panels...perhaps give Vitus a try? I know Kog (your Stillpoints & Entreq distributor here) also distributes Vitus...perhaps speak with them for further advice? I know people who have owned both Gryphon and Vitus Masterpiece level, so have some idea of what Vitus is like...and imagine they are every bit the world class amps that is their reputation.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, about 30 watts being too low. Those amps are fantastic. But then I know a guy who drives his Maggies with 40w and loves it. Greg at least has powered woofers.

But i really wouldn't worry about that. I would just try it with the Berning, if not will sell the Berning, and get another one. Unless of course your decision is driven by the amp and you want to retain the Berning

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Based on what people have told me about Berning amps, and what i am told about these panels...perhaps give Vitus a try? I know Kog (your Stillpoints & Entreq distributor here) also distributes Vitus...perhaps speak with them for further advice? I know people who have owned both Gryphon and Vitus Masterpiece level, so have some idea of what Vitus is like...and imagine they are every bit the world class amps that is their reputation.

Agreed. I have used a smaller SIA-025, that is very nice in Class A mode. It was driving Focal Scala Utopias. Vitus distributes Stillpoints so we already have a relationship with Hans-Ole. Not sure what to take away from your comment on Berning amps...

John

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agreed. I have used a smaller SIA-025, that is very nice in Class A mode. It was driving Focal Scala Utopias. Vitus distributes Stillpoints so we already have a relationship with Hans-Ole. Not sure what to take away from your comment on Berning amps...

John

Simply that the Berning is known for incredible alacrity while maintaining a beautiful tonal color. Based on what i've heard about Vitus (and what i know from owning Gryphon, also a Class A amp whose owners often go back and forth between Vitus and Gryphon...look at Jeff Fritz for example)...they might offer that same quality for you...while being able to deliver the current capability you require to really drive those panels...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

John

not sure what your budget might be, but last fall I had the pleasure of enjoying a weekend with the Berning 211/845 ZOTL Monoblocks which are 60 watts class A and more in push pull. it's a great amplifier.

very holographic, beautiful tone, linear at the frequency extremes, and dynamic. I used to own 75 watt Tenor OTL's so I know my OTL's.

can it do those speakers justice? don't know.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
not sure what your budget might be, but last fall I had the pleasure of enjoying a weekend with the Berning 211/845 ZOTL Monoblocks which are 60 watts class A and more in push pull. it's a great amplifier.

very holographic, beautiful tone, linear at the frequency extremes, and dynamic. I used to own 75 watt Tenor OTL's so I know my OTL's.

can it do those speakers justice? don't know.

Another thought...a lot of people say Atmasphere amps drive big panels like Soundlabs extremely well. But given Stillpoints corporate relationship with Vitus, i do think that could be quite a nice route to take if the Bernings are not up to driving the panels...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you want to spend more just get a used Lamm M2.2, around 7k on the Gon. It's valves plus hybrid current plus power (220w), Panels like that sort of thing. But I really wouldn't worry too much about these amps, because once you get a Panel, just get a powerful amp, cheap and used, either like a Krell FPB, Bryston, Parasound, or Audio Research, and then demo some amps over the next year. Then sell these normal ones. They sell so easily in the used market. Also Sanders.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi John. I have had my Vitus SIA 025 for a year or so and it is the best amp I have ever owned.
I have heard a range of other amps at Munich and none persuaded me that they sounded better overall.
Initially I was unsure whether the 25 watt Class A output (100 watts A/B) was enough. Fraser assured me there would be no problem and he was right and I know my experience has been mirrored by that of other owners. My Carmels' sensistivity is 85 so not the most efficient but in class A I still have power to spare.
Have a word with Fraser.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi John. I have had my Vitus SIA 025 for a year or so and it is the best amp I have ever owned.
I have heard a range of other amps at Munich and none persuaded me that they sounded better overall.
Initially I was unsure whether the 25 watt Class A output (100 watts A/B) was enough. Fraser assured me there would be no problem and he was right and I know my experience has been mirrored by that of other owners. My Carmels' sensistivity is 85 so not the most efficient but in class A I still have power to spare.
Have a word with Fraser.

PS
The Vitus replaced a Naim 500/Naim 552(DR) which are rated at 140 watts. Not only is there no power deficiency and better sound quality but they control the speaker cones at higher volumes far better than the Naims.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing