Grypon Diablo 300 vs Hegel 590?

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
Auditioning in my home the Diablo 300 on my Magico S5 with various DACS; latest Chord.
How would the Hegel compare; worthy of consideration?
So far, I like the Hugo Chord's more refined voice compared to a Moon 280D DAC which was quite harsh to my ears- paired with the Diablo.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Auditioning in my home the Diablo 300 on my Magico S5 with various DACS; latest Chord.
So far, I like the Hugo Chord's more refined voice compared to a Moon 280D DAC which was quite harsh to my ears- paired with the Diablo.
I would stay with Diablo and try some more DACs. Something with tubes might be a good idea, since Gryphon and Magico are really clean sounding.
Maybe you can audition our iDSD Pro Signature? It has a few modes, including tube buffering. That allows shaping the sound in a big way :)

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

While I find Gryphon a little dark for my listening pleasure, I would purchase it over the the Hegel personally.

I just did a demo of the Vitus RI-101 Mk IIs with my Magico M3s. It sounded very good. There’s definitely a synergy with Magicos. Here is my review. I enjoyed them so much that the Vitus SM-103s should be on my doorstep later on today - Class A monos. My dealer is Tony @ Ellington HiFi. He still has the 101 in his possession if you are interested.

Last edited:

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I bought the h590 for my kef blades after using the h360 on other speakers for several years. Hegel doesn’t add any warmth to the sound. Plenty of control and less money than I gryphon. Obviously the diablo 300 is a more attractive unit. I’m still a firm believer in matching speakers to amps in the room they’ll be used. Still I could get a diablo 300 for the price I paid for the h590, I’d own it just for the pride of it

PhilJ

Dec 29, 2022
Hi,
I want to integrate a Accuphase DG48 voicing/eq into my system using the tape loop of my Diablo 300. However, I can't find how to switch the loop in/out.
Any advice please?
Thanks, Phil

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
Hi,
I want to integrate a Accuphase DG48 voicing/eq into my system using the tape loop of my Diablo 300. However, I can't find how to switch the loop in/out.
Any advice please?
Thanks, Phil
There is a “monitor” button on the front of the Diablo 300 that should allow you to listen to the tape input.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi,
Any advice please?
Thanks, Phil
Are you going to use it with digital inputs, or with analogue ones?

Mr Peabody

Oct 9, 2022
I auditioned a 590 before but only heard Diablo at shows. As mentioned above the 590 would be more neutral. My preference would be the Diablo, it has its own sound signature but I found it more engaging than the 590. The Diablo brings a touch of warmth and texture without becoming overly polite, it still has dynamics.

PhilJ

Dec 29, 2022
Are you going to use it with digital inputs, or with analogue ones?
Thanks for replying, I'm using analogue XLR Silverfi Reference cables into the Diablo and then unbalanced RCA for the Diablo tape loop to, and from, the DG48. The only digital input is "optical" from my TV. I did get a result, but the quality is not as good as cabling everything into the DG48 and then use it as a switchable source into the Diablo. I"ll keep it like this.
Regards.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks for replying, I'm using analogue XLR Silverfi Reference cables into the Diablo and then unbalanced RCA for the Diablo tape loop to, and from, the DG48. The only digital input is "optical" from my TV. I did get a result, but the quality is not as good as cabling everything into the DG48 and then use it as a switchable source into the Diablo. I"ll keep it like this.
Regards.
How would you rate the DG48? Worthwhile investment?

PhilJ

Dec 29, 2022
How would you rate the DG48? Worthwhile investment?
The Accuphase DG48 is a very powerful device. It's as simple to use, or as complex, as you dare to delve. Simple room voicing is easy, individual voicing for left/right speakers is straight forward, equalization is as complex as you dare. Together, they have a VERY positive effect on room compensation and presentation. I bought mine secondhand and is, by far, the single most effective improvement I have ever included in my system! Worthwhile investment? At the price I paid, absolutely!. It would be hard for me to consider/justify at full retail and I'm not in the league of the DG68, but the DG48 is now an ''essential'' component in my system. It's that good!

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
The Accuphase DG48 is a very powerful device. It's as simple to use, or as complex, as you dare to delve. Simple room voicing is easy, individual voicing for left/right speakers is straight forward, equalization is as complex as you dare. Together, they have a VERY positive effect on room compensation and presentation. I bought mine secondhand and is, by far, the single most effective improvement I have ever included in my system! Worthwhile investment? At the price I paid, absolutely!. It would be hard for me to consider/justify at full retail and I'm not in the league of the DG68, but the DG48 is now an ''essential'' component in my system. It's that good!
That sounds nice. Did you need a lot of correction for your room, or was it more like cosmetics?

PhilJ

Dec 29, 2022
That sounds nice. Did you need a lot of correction for your room, or was it more like cosmetics?
Hi,
The only room treatment I have is bass traps and diffusion/absorption panels on the wall behind the speakers. There are thick curtains on all the windows and a moderately sized woollen rug. My speakers are custom made and all the room characteristics were incorporated in the computer modelling in the design phase so I didn’t need much correction from the DG48 other than to address limitations inherent in any room/system. Having said that, the effect of the DG48 is impressive. I had some lower/mid blooming and a slight lack of top end sparkle, both of which the DG48 has completely corrected allowing better transparency and 3D presentation. Overall, a better “live” result.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi,
The only room treatment I have is bass traps and diffusion/absorption panels on the wall behind the speakers. There are thick curtains on all the windows and a moderately sized woollen rug. My speakers are custom made and all the room characteristics were incorporated in the computer modelling in the design phase so I didn’t need much correction from the DG48 other than to address limitations inherent in any room/system. Having said that, the effect of the DG48 is impressive. I had some lower/mid blooming and a slight lack of top end sparkle, both of which the DG48 has completely corrected allowing better transparency and 3D presentation. Overall, a better “live” result.
Sounds like you have this thing wrapped in a bag already. That's a very mature approach to Hi-Fi. Kudos.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing