Ground question

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I purchased a receptacle tester from Amazon recently and discovered that it reports an open ground on all the outlets feeding my equipment rack. However, these outlets are fed balanced power by Equi=tech transformers, so I'm wondering if the receptacle outlet just doesn't know how to read balanced power of if I truly have a ground issue.

One of the reasons I ask is that even now (in June) I have to discharge static before touching anything on my rack or Bad Things Happen.

As always, thanks in advance.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That's correct. The tester can't test this type of circuit. The ground on the output of the balanced power is floating halfway. It is +-60 volts from each lead. In a standard system, it is 120 volts from hot, and zero from the other.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just to expand, this is how normal house wiring looks like:

Ground and neutral are at the same amplitude because inside the breaker panel, they tie together.

Balanced power does not have a shared point like that:

Now we have three distinct connection, with ground being the half-way point.

So a tester that looks to see if ground and neutral are similarly situated, would see the much elevated voltage between those two leads (roughly 60 volts) and thinks that the common connection between them has been lost. So it declares no ground.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
BTW, this doesn't mean you have proper grounding. It just says that the tester can't be used for this task. You could carefully, if you know your way around high voltage, measure the voltage references to ground on the outlet and verify that it is 60 volts. Again, do not attempt this if you are not experienced with high voltage. You could risk your life or worse.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
BTW, this doesn't mean you have proper grounding. It just says that the tester can't be used for this task. You could carefully, if you know your way around high voltage, measure the voltage references to ground on the outlet and verify that it is 60 volts. Again, do not attempt this if you are not experienced with high voltage. You could risk your life or worse.

Thanks, maybe I'll get my electrician back to check it out. I've had nasty shocks that create loud pops just removing an LP from my turntable that shut down amps citing DC overload.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks, maybe I'll get my electrician back to check it out. I've had nasty shocks that create loud pops just removing an LP from my turntable that shut down amps citing DC overload.
Ground in equipment is there for safety. It is designed to cause the breaker to open should the hot lead touch the chassis. It doesn't have an ability to remove static electricity unless you touch the chassis first. That is what I would do before touching the LP. That, and increasing humidity in the room :).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing