Ground connectors

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
Hi all,
All CH components have ground connectors behind the equipment. There's a digital ground two analog ground connectors. What type of connectos do those connectors use? Has anyone tried using them? Benefits???

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
There’s all kinds of threads dealing with “grounding”. Good for CH to provide dedicated attachment fasteners.
Almost half of my system page deals with grounding experiences.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-2-channel-experiment.1769/

Also Super Dave’s thread is excellent.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/tripoint-troy-elite-installed.24841/page-16#post-532222

Best non money I have ever spent.

Since most equipment suffers from inadequate internal grounding and common mode noise. A low impedance pathway back to panel ground is beneficial to overall SQ
The best way to achieve this is by a single point grounding scheme. Which is what all these grounding methods are.

Last edited:

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
Thank you RogerD for your input.

I also asked CH about this, and Raphael gave me a very quick reply -

"The back of the C1 and D1 sees three sockets which are ground related, two black ones and a yellow-green one. The black ones are connected to analog ground while the yellow-green one is digital ground and chassis-earth. Each unit comes with a jumper that allows you to link either the two black sockets or a black and the yellow-green socket. With the jumper between the two black sockets, analog ground and digital ground are kept away from each other. Digital ground is fixed at Earth potential (through the mains power cord) while analog ground is "floating" a few dozens of kilo-Ohms away from digital ground. With the jumper between the black and yellow-green socket, analog and digital grounds are connected together in a single point through the jumper.

In a CH-only system only, only one unit should be fitted with the jumper linking the black and yellow-green sockets. All the other units should have the jumper between the two black sockets. This ensures that Analog ground is tied up to Earth, ie at a known potential, in a single place, avoiding ground loops that could induce hum. The unit where the jumper should be linking the black and the yellow-green sockets is the heart (the hub) of the system, usually the line preamplifier.

In a system composed of CH and other brands, depending on the grounding arrangement of components from other brands, there might be no need to link the black and the yellow-ground socket on any of the CH boxes as the link might have already been done inside the other pieces of equipment."

Currently the jumper on my D1 is between the two black sockets, while C1 is between black and yellow-green sockets. I run a preamp after C1 so what I am going to try next is to move the C1 jumper between the two black sockets to see if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi,
That’s good. At least you can experiment a little. I would make up some 10 awg jumpers if you can. Good luck and have fun. I think CH has a good idea.
If you can hear a difference..that good, clarity is usually improved and maybe the qualities of your soundstage.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing