Gregory Porter live at the Loreley

McLennan

May 19, 2015
Frankfurt/Germany
Yestreday evening my wife and me had the pleasure to experience a wonderful concert in a fantastic setting: Gregory Porter with the dutch Metropole Orchestra live, open air at the Loreley.
The Loreley is a famous high cliff in the german Rhine valley. The one air stage is rather small amphitheatre.
The dutch Metropole Orchestra is a real Big Band, playing with about 60 musicians. In the past they have already played with Stand Getz, Ella Fitzgerald an other famous Jazz musicians
http://www.mo.nl/en/the-orchestra/

After one of the hottest days in Germany for years (up to 100°F) we drove up the Rhine valley, just to head into heavy rainfall and thunderstom shortly before the concert venue. But the weather cleared up quite fast, so my wife and me could have a glass of Riesling right on top of the Loreley:

GregoryPorter - 1.jpg

The Saga goes that high on that rock a beautiful blonde Lady was sitting an was singing beautiful, so the shipmen got distracted and crashed their ships in the dangerous rocks in the Rhine river.

This evening, the Loreley was not a Lady, and definitely not blonde: Gregory Porter, a Jazz/Soul Singer, his recent album 'Liquid Spirit' I really enjoy quite a lot.

Having perfect seats in the middle (seats is not the right description, there is only a rows made of rock), the acoustics where great, the sun was setting right behind the stage, a magical experience. Gregory Porter was not only singing tunes from his latest album, but also classic Jazz tunes like Cannon Adderleys 'Work Song': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXzWT2yZU-Y

Some Images about the setting:

GregoryPorter - 2.jpg

GregoryPorter - 3.jpg

GregoryPorter - 4.jpg

A really enjoyable evening, fantastic singer, fantastic Big Band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8idZjiGdW5Y

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Cool, must've been great! I've been to the region, including the Loreley, but haven't seen any shows there... Perfect setting for concerts!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing