Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
20181019_125104.jpg 20181019_125025.jpg

Reactions: Steve Bruzonsky

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
ENT After reporting to the emergency room with severe hearing lost I was diagnosed with severe blockage of earwax in my right ear. For some reason this also caused hearing loss in my left ear. Ear drops were administered at the emergency room. This was partially effective immediately. A couple days later I visited an ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat) doctor. She cleaned the wax out of my ear. Because of the trauma involved the hearing test was postponed to the next visit.
I took the hearing test on the next visit. I informed her that I am an audiophile(She did not know what that was). She told me their frequency response test was 250-8Khz. It did not take long and was completely painless.
I was told I had exemplary hearing for my age(65). Normally she would expect some hearing loss for someone my age. I was surprised there was good left to right balance. ( I always thought I had left ear dominance.) I think there was significant improvement as a result of the cleaning. No pre-cleaning test was performed.

Surprisingly, she recommended cleaning every three to six months.

Caution: Sudden hearing loss should be attended to immediately. As always Q-tips are prohibited.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Greg, glad to hear your good hearing is intact.
It is not that unusual for people in their late sixties to have high frequency loss. My friend,who I posted about in my thread, has almost complete loss above 5kHz. Luckily, even with the hearing aids he is forced to use, the enjoyment of the hobby has not been diminished.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It is the limitation of the doctors' software that limits the test to 8khz. I think I go to12khz based on some test tones.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Glad to hear your hearing is ok. I've been tested to hear up to 50KHz, they say I'm batty!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
ENT After reporting to the emergency with severe hearing lost I was diagnosed with severe blockage of earwax in my right ear. For some reason this also caused hearing loss in my left ear. Ear drops were administered at the emergency room. This was partially effective immediately. A couple days later I visited an ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat) doctor. She cleaned the wax out of my ear. Because of the trauma involved the hearing test was postponed to the next visit.
I took the hearing test on the next visit. I informed her that I am an audiophile(She did not know what that was). She told me their frequency response test was 250-8Khz. It did not take long and was completely painless.
I was told I had exemplary hearing for my age(65). Normally she would expect some hearing loss for someone my age. I was surprised there was good left to right balance. ( I always thought I had left ear dominance.) I think there was significant improvement as a result of the cleaning. No pre-cleaning test was performed.

Surprisingly, she recommended cleaning every three to six months.

Caution: Sudden hearing loss should be attended to immediately. As always Q-tips are prohibited.
I had this happen to me in Grad School. Woke up one day with out hearing. Had huge balls of wax buildup that took a lot of flushing to get out. Ever since then I regularly clean. See when I was younger I was a swimmer and in the water all the time I never had wax problems...then I stopped swimming regularly and the buildup started.

I tested my hearing recently and can still hear ok to 16Khz in both ears.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I tested my hearing recently and can still hear ok to 16Khz in both ears.

How young are you?

I plan to speak to my Doctor about upgrading her software. She should be able to test 20 to 20khz.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I am 47 years old...so there should be some roll off by now but not as bad as it could be.

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
I am 78 and began with hearing aids 2 years ago. They cost as much a good piece of audio equipment.
Aids help me with conversation in crowded/noisy environments BUT even with 4 different programs of adjustment (read equalization) they diminish the tonality heard. i do not use them for audio listening (live or recorded) nor when playing at classical guitar (hate the tone = not natural nor good).My audiologist said that he has several professional musicians who never use them when playing/performing. Regular cleaning (Deoxit) is done and interesting was the above comment about swimming as it is not necessary during summer when using the pool.

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would not want to fall off the precipice.;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am 78 and began with hearing aids 2 years ago. They cost as much a good piece of audio equipment.
Aids help me with conversation in crowded/noisy environments BUT even with 4 different programs of adjustment (read equalization) they diminish the tonality heard. i do not use them for audio listening (live or recorded) nor when playing at classical guitar (hate the tone = not natural nor good).My audiologist said that he has several professional musicians who never use them when playing/performing. Regular cleaning (Deoxit) is done and interesting was the above comment about swimming as it is not necessary during summer when using the pool.
Do you find headphones/earbuds helpful?

sleepysurf

Sep 8, 2010
Gregadd, Just noticed the "Deoxit) = funny but terrible and should be Debrox...

Perhaps a squirt of Caig Deoxit after the Debrox cleaning would prevent the dreaded "ear wax oxidation" problem! :eek: (Don't do this, just kidding)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Gregadd, Just noticed the "Deoxit) = funny but terrible and should be Debrox ;)
To answer: I haven't tried them and probably will not - Thanks
My doctor gave me a OTC eardrop. She also recomends Hydrogen Peroxide.

I was just curious how headphones and hearing aids would work together.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Purchase the "Elephant Ear Washer" and a bottle of "debrox" or "auro". The first looks like a small "windex" bottle with a tube that you insert into you ear drum. The second is a liquid wax softener. Put the drops in the ear and the flush with the ear washer. This is what they use in the ER to remove ear wax, is completely safe and does the job. You can buy these items on Amazon and save yourself the cost of visiting an ENT doc.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
A generic bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide and s syringe works just as well. Lay on your side for ten minutes.

My doctor altered her cleaning recommendation to once a year..

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Tried the syringe. The Elephant washer is far more effective in "flushing" the ear and removing wax.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing