Great live recordings

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I am curious what albums out there any format, any actual musical genre - has a good quality live recording? By that I mean to your ears, preferably having heard the musician un-amplified, the albums and recordings that are pretty damn accurate so to speak?

Reactions: christoph

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
Dave Brubeck Quartet-Back Together For The First Time..this excellent live set from the Jazz master recorded in the seventies-Temptations Live..this one is a soul classic from the mid-sixties featuring David Ruffin's My Girl an Paul Williams classic-Don't Look Back.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Pat Metheny The way Up Live. Very well recorded, very dynamic and amazing performance. Love the Blu-Ray, the only version I have heard.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I am curious what albums out there any format, any actual musical genre - has a good quality live recording? By that I mean to your ears, preferably having heard the musician un-amplified, the albums and recordings that are pretty damn accurate so to speak?
Thanks for starting this thread :cool:

Reactions: Loheswaran

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
One I like: Berlioz Symphonie fantastique, Sir Colin Davis, LSO live at the Barbican, London 2000 CD

mcondo

Feb 24, 2015
I think you should consider Neil Young"s Live at Massey Hall. It's an very old acoustic set that introduces several new songs that went on to be classics. The SQ is absolutely stunning. One of my live fav's.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
David Murray "Ming's Samba"
Art Pepper "Live at Ronnie Scott's"
Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense"
Christian McBride Trio "Live At the Village Vanguard"

Cellindo

Oct 28, 2018
France
Giovanni Mirabassi - Live at the Blue Note, Tokyo, 2010
One of my reference point for evaluating different gears or settings.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The two classic albums of the Bill Evans Trio at the Village Vanguard (done shortly before the tragic death of Scott LeFaro, his immensely talented bass player):
Waltz for Debby
Sunday at the Village Vanguard

Another famous live jazz album is Jazz at the Pawnshop - an audiophile favorite.

Belafonte at Carnegie Hall - another audiophile favorite, as is
The Weavers - Reunion at Carnegie Hall 1963

I like Miles of Aisles, the Joni Mitchell live album.

Larry

Reactions: Ron Resnick

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Allman Brothers "Live At Filmore East" (original pink Capricorn pressing)
Anat Cohen "Clarinetwork"
Miles Davis "At The Blackhawk"
J. Geils Band "Full House" (provided you can find a non beer soaked original pressing)
Benny Green "Testifyin'
Oliver Jones Trio "Cookin' At Sweet Basil"
Damien Jurado "Live At Landlocked"
Wynton Kelly & Wes Montgomery "Smokin' At The Half Note"
Los Lobos "Disconnected in New York City"
Joshua Redman "Live At The Village Vanguard"
Rolling Stones "Stripped"
Stanley Turrentine "Up At Mintons, Vol 2"
Caetano Veloso & Gilberto Gil "Two Friends, One Century of Music"
Sadao Watanabe "Parker's Mood"
Ben Webster "At The Renaissance"

Reactions: siddh

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My standard answer to this question is: Bill Henderson, Send in the Clowns (Jazz Planet/Classic Records).

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I just thought that everyone goes on about being neutral, but how is it truly assessed? I can't remember the last truly live un-amplified music I ever heard

We go to about 70 classical music concerts a year - all unamplified music. Also we host one or two chamber music concerts a year in our home. Last Monday we had two members of the San Francisco Symphony play a violin and piano concert
to about 30 of our friends at our home. Unamplified music at its most intimate and best.

Larry

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
there are many albums that have been already in nomination in this thread, a few are really awesome starting from a true classic like the Harry Belafonte at the Carnegie Hall.
I just add three suggestions, rarely performed during the audio fairs, songs in english, french, italian.
1) Joe Bonamassa "An acoustic evening, Live at the Vienna Opera House". 2 cd's very cheap on the bay. The "slow train coming" song is thrilling.
2) Michel Jonasz "La fabuleuse histoire de Mr. Swing" 2 cd's not so easy to find. The "le temps passé" is a touching song.
3) Ivano Fossati "Dal vivo volume 1" registerd live in 1993 at the Ponchielli's theatre in Cremona. Surprisingly enjoyable.

Just for contribution...
cheers
Marco

Reactions: 24bit

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
We go to about 70 classical music concerts a year - all unamplified music. Also we host one or two chamber music concerts a year in our home. Last Monday we had two members of the San Francisco Symphony play a violin and piano concert
to about 30 of our friends at our home. Unamplified music at its most intimate and best.

Larry

Unfortunately, I live in London, and even intimate jazz clubs feel that it is necessary to amplify music. Go to any of Londons concert halls - and yes amplified too :mad:

I think the last time I heard an un amplified voice was at the Vertere FM Acoustics dim last year. Before that I recall a famous opera singer (sorry I know nothing about opera) came into Covent Garden and did a kind of promotion/busk - it was incredible... Maybe I should check out Opera - can't get over fat ladies singing ;)

Reactions: Lagonda

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
A great live DVD is the Concert for George, the concert that honored George Harrison after his passing. All star cast including Clapton, Jeff Lynn, Tom Petty, Ringo, Paul, etc.

Reactions: jazdoc

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Unfortunately, I live in London, and even intimate jazz clubs feel that it is necessary to amplify music. Go to any of Londons concert halls - and yes amplified too :mad:

I think the last time I heard an un amplified voice was at the Vertere FM Acoustics dim last year. Before that I recall a famous opera singer (sorry I know nothing about opera) came into Covent Garden and did a kind of promotion/busk - it was incredible... Maybe I should check out Opera - can't get over fat ladies singing ;)

We spend about a month in London each year and go to many concerts, all classical. I don't think any of them are amplified (we don't go to Royal Albert Hall except very rarely.) Wigmore Hall is a great place to hear chamber music. We go to the Barbican for the London Symphony, Cadogan Hall near Sloan Square for the Royal Philharmonic, Royal Festival Hall and Queen Elizabeth Hall in the South Bank - always sitting pretty close for orchestral and chamber music and even done to Glyndebourne for opera. No jazz or rock however.

Larry

Reactions: jeff1225

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
We spend about a month in London each year and go to many concerts, all classical. I don't think any of them are amplified (we don't go to Royal Albert Hall except very rarely.) Wigmore Hall is a great place to hear chamber music. We go to the Barbican for the London Symphony, Cadogan Hall near Sloan Square for the Royal Philharmonic, Royal Festival Hall and Queen Elizabeth Hall in the South Bank - always sitting pretty close for orchestral and chamber music and even done to Glyndebourne for opera. No jazz or rock however.

Larry

You are a lucky man my friend - unfortunately - my experience is not so good - maybe it is what I have seen/heard thus far.

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Check this; This is how good a completely not amplified band recorded live in concert with ONE microphone can sound;

I think with the advance of amplification something has been lost; natural dynamics, musicians really listening and reacting to what is happening around them. And check the audience participating in the introduction.

Video is from the Feenbrothers play Dave Brubeck album;

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing