Grado Enters the Big Leagues

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Shipping to start next month.

From Grado Labs:

The Epoch ($12,000) and upcoming Aeon ($6000), which see final assembly by John Grado himself on his workbench, are two cartridges that offer exceptional reproduction of vocals and instruments, with superlative tonal balance, dynamics, imaging, and realism. Grado’s coil winding techniques, which have been honed throughout the decades, have let them achieve exact unison between the four coils in each phono cartridge. This allows for a precise balance between channels and accurate stereo imaging. Each Grado is wound with the finest properly sized and annealed 24-karat solid gold wire, which is the ultimate conductor for the transmission of the music from your record.

All of the internal magnetic circuit parts are Swiss screw machined or molded metal, which have tolerances on the order of the best Swiss-made watches. The specially designed diamond stylus, for the first time in a Grado, is mounted on a sapphire cantilever that connects to the stylus generating system. The Epoch and Aeon feature a unique system that has the lowest effective moving mass of any cartridge, while Grado’s patented Flux-Bridger generator design creates a superior balance throughout the full frequency spectrum with superb resolution and clarity, which produces an overall truer picture of the music. This is all nestled inside a cocobolo wooden housing.

May 24, 2017
Each Grado is wound with the finest properly sized and annealed 24-karat solid gold wire, which is the ultimate conductor for the transmission of the music from your record.
Why is gold the "ultimate conductor" for cartridges? As I understand it, it has a lower conductivity than copper or silver. A number of high end cartridges - including my VdH Black Beauty - seem to use gold wiring in the coils. I would be interested to know what the benefits of using gold are.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ha anyone auditioned this Epoch cartridge?

Sep 10, 2012
scotland
Heard one recently on a Brrgmann Sindre & want one liquid mids & very, very musical sounding , problem don,t have $12,000

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
From what I've read the Aeon is supposed to provide 85 to 90% of the performance of the Epoch at half the price, but of course as audiophiles we crave every bit of the ultimate performance and will pay dearly for it.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Kuro 3 years ago did for trial a rca cable with gold 24 kt,his friend has a jewelry and gave gold to him to try.
He told me sound is incredible,much better than silver and copper,very natural and transparent.Big problem is the cost of gold,so he did Silver plated gold 24 kt,after this trial,because part of electrons run on surface of the cable,so on gold

Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Kuro 3 years ago did for trial a rca cable with gold 24 kt,his friend has a jewelry and gave gold to him to try.
He told me sound is incredible,much better than silver and copper,very natural and transparent.Big problem is the cost of gold,so he did Silver plated gold 24 kt,after this trial,because part of electrons run on surface of the cable,so on gold
Thanks for the info, that's good to know.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing