GigaWatt launches their first line of amplification ... the Marton !

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I haven't been so fired up for ... well, for a while :)

The new amp - Marton Opusculum Reference v2.00 - not only looks spectacular:

- but there is a great history behind it as well.

Maron is a little known, but very highly regarded amplifier manufactuer from Poland. The guy behind Marton - Marek Knaga - is not only one of the most humble people I know in the hifi industry (think Dave Wilson kind of guy), but also one of the most knowledgable people in amplifier design. Marton was never more than a hobby for Mr. Knaga, so very few of those amps were ever made.

This is the the original Marton Opusculim from the 90s:

I have first heard of Marton in the mid-90s. Mr Jasik - the biggest hi-end distributor at the time in Poland - started selling it in his shop. He was also Gryphon distributor, and I remember my surprise when he told me that this amp is actually better then the (original) Gryphon Antileon he was also selling.

Marek Knaga and Adam Schubert - the GigaWatt owner, are good friends. They live nearby. Adam was thinking about doing a joint project for many years. He finally bought the brand and hired Marek Kanga as lead designer. IMO this is the win-win situation: Marek brings his analog design expertise and Adam brings the logistics, financial backing, worldwide distribution channels and state of the art manufacturing facilities (Gigawatt will be expensing next year again, for the second time in just 3 years, to a new, 'Giga factory') to the mix.

Adam Schubert is clearly aming with this amp at the Vitus Masterpiece category - the beast weights 120kg and will cost @ 50-60k EUR. Cheaper models will follow, as well as PRELUDE Reference preamp and OPUS monos.

The amp will be launched at the upcoming Audio Video Show in Warsaw in 3 weeks time.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Wow, awesome news!
We've just picked up the GigaWatt line, after being very impressed with their PC-4 EVO+ conditioner.
Can't wait to hear this beast :)

cheers,
Alex

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Most interesting! Look forward to reading more. Will it also run in pure Class A like Vitus and Gryphon?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
No idea. The original Opusculum, which was 120W design, run first 30W or so in pure Class A. I'm sure we will learn soon enough.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
I do like the look of it.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Very impressive innards!
And it's obvious that there is a mono mode! Wow.

However, no matter how good and secure the Neutrik PowerCon connector is, most audiophiles won't like it.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It is still a pre production unit. They may change it when they receive feedback from the distributors.

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
It is still a pre production unit. They may change it when they receive feedback from the distributors.

Hello Elberoth,
IC
Pls convey my opinion to Gigawatt.

BTW I notice in the photo that the back-plate of the chassis is rather thin, much thinner than the front/sidetop plates.

Thanks!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I think that 'thin' is ralative. That amp is huge, which may be deciving. The chassis is probably bent steel, a few mm thick. The aluminium front is attached to it. That is how most of the gear is made.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing