Get an XA-100.5/XA160.5 now, or wait until late next year for an Xs-150 ? ....

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I already have my XP-30 and love it. Opinions?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My thought on this is get the 100.5/160.5 now. The law of diminishing returns kicks in quite hard. I am totally satisfied with my 160.5's. I can't see double the improvement. You'll have much better return on a source component.

Or do like I do and wait for the audiophiles to become disenchanted with their XS150/300 and get it at half off!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Joe,

Speaking for myself...i like to wait until i know what i want...and then i wait until i have found one at the right price. It is frustrating sometimes...so its not for everyone. If i wanted to the XS which by all accounts is a truly stunning advance for Pass...i would go for that one even if it took me more time. But i am slightly unusual...its been 5 years i have been trying to find the right price on a 2nd hand Zanden transport...

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Fully understand Lloyd. I am trying to hold out. If I had a few things sold it would be no problem. But, I am also thinking of the heat output. The Xs-150 and XA160.5 are like little furnaces with 500 and 600 watts consumption respectively, great for the winter. The XA100.5 would be minimal at half the consumption, only 300 watts ;) .

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
Get a good deal on some USED XA amps , use them till you can swing for a set of XS amps. Nice about Pass gear , They hold there used value. Rock on .

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Joel

With the electronics you have you need to focus on the room, serious dedicated, treated room .. Electronics wil only bring you so much .. You have already a world class speaker and world-class electronics .. Drop the TAD in a better room , that is what I would advise at this point since you ask us (me) ... :)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joel

With the electronics you have you need to focus on the room, serious dedicated, treated room .. Electronics wil only bring you so much .. You have already a world class speaker and world-class electronics .. Drop the TAD in a better room , that is what I would advise at this point since you ask us (me) ... :)

Thank you Frantz. I appreciate the advice.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Get a good deal on some USED XA amps , use them till you can swing for a set of XS amps. Nice about Pass gear , They hold there used value. Rock on .

Great advice. I am working on it.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I already have my XP-30 and love it. Opinions?

XA.5 are great amps. I would start there. I'll bet Pass will have lower cost XS technology amps out in the next year or so.
Just got home and am listening to the XS300s. Trust me, Bruce's strategy has no chance of working for at least 5 years.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I am glad you are happy Frank. I hope to find a good deal on some XA.5's

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fully understand Lloyd. I am trying to hold out. If I had a few things sold it would be no problem. But, I am also thinking of the heat output. The Xs-150 and XA160.5 are like little furnaces with 500 and 600 watts consumption respectively, great for the winter. The XA100.5 would be minimal at half the consumption, only 300 watts ;) .

Good luck...the good thing is you've got nice things to sell which hopefully will help a lot when the market is a little thin for buyers. As for heat...depends on size of your room among other things. Sounds like if you've got a few things sold, and based on your current track record...we should expect to hear about your XS150s sometime this year. ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Maybe next year for the Xs-150's :(

And all good things come to those who wait...or at least wait for the right moment to strike! Good hunting. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing