Genesis is Proud to Introduce Junior

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Seattle, WA – Genesis Advanced Technologies, manufacturer of high-end luxury loudspeaker and amplifier systems is happy to announce the Genesis 2.2 Junior line-source floor-standing tower loudspeaker system. Dealers and distributors were given a sneak peak of the new loudspeaker during the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas in January 2011.

“This is a gap-filler model that has been highly anticipated by our customers and dealers alike,” said Mr. Gary Leonard Koh, President and CEO of Genesis. “Many of our customers and dealers do not have a large enough room for the Genesis 2.2 four-tower line source system, but want the advantages of a line source. Hence, we integrated a pair of side-firing 12” woofers with the midrange-tweeter wings of the G2.2 and created Junior.”

“It looked and sounded easy when my dealers first asked for it, but the integration of the line-source midrange/tweeter with the point source bass took the better part of the past year to get it to sound just right. When you don’t do it right, it can sound thin and lean due to the different way that a line source and a point source propagates sound and hence how the speaker interacts with the room.”

“The G2jr is the latest model in the Genesis line with this configuration of point-source bass with line-source midrange/tweeter,” added Mr. Koh. “The first model was the Genesis II.5 which was released in 1994, and there were three subsequent iterations over the past 16 years. So, you can call it the fifth generation ‘junior’.”

“The speaker does things only hinted at by conventional loudspeakers,” said Ms Carolyn Koh, Vice President and Chief Operating Officer of Genesis. “When you go from a cone loudspeaker to the ribbon line-source G2, the sense of effortlessness on musical peaks, the huge dynamic contrasts and the ability to resolve the smallest musical details is just shocking on first listen. It is able to present the crescendos of a symphony orchestra at full tilt with lifelike levels. This was the first thing that struck me hearing this new model for the first time – it brought me back to the time when I used to sing as a soloist standing in front of a symphony orchestra.”

“This makes listening to music a visceral experience,” said Mr Koh. “And the G2jr is not limited to classical music. It does rock, techno, house, jazz, new age – you name it – just as well. One criticism of large speakers is that they make everything sound big. Not with this one, a soloist has the right size, even when she is standing in front of an orchestra.”

The Genesis 2jr incorporates a single 48-inch ribbon midrange and twelve 1-inch ring-ribbon tweeters mounted on a solid 1½ thick cast acrylic baffle. It also includes two 12-inch independently servo-controlled woofers per channel. The two woofers each incorporate its own accelerometer and 600W amplifier. Three additional 1-inch rear-firing ring-ribbon tweeters complete the dipole.

The Genesis 2.2jr retails for US$49,000 and is available from all Genesis dealers around the world. It is finished in high gloss acrylic black. Genesis Advanced Technologies designs and manufactures loudspeakers, amplifiers, and accessories in Seattle, WA. The complete range of products can be found at www.genesisloudspeakers.com and at www.absolutefidelity.com.

###​
About Genesis Advanced Technologies
Genesis Advanced Technologies is a leading developer of high-end luxury loudspeaker and amplifier systems with a worldwide manufacturing, design and sales organization with a commitment to absolute fidelity®, in product, service and performance. Genesis develops loudspeaker systems, amplifiers and accessories for music lovers worldwide.

Absolute Fidelity is a registered trademark of Genesis Advanced Technologies Pte Ltd in the United States and other countries.

For more information please contact: Genesis Advanced Technologies • 654 S Lucile St • Seattle, WA 98108 • voice: 206-762-8383 • fax: 206-762-8389 • info@genesisloudspeakers.com • www.genesisloudspeakers.com
# # #

G2jr medium..jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great!
What are the efficiency and the impedance values?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Wow, takes me back to the IRS days... Gary, why the different amp ratings for tube and SS? (I have some ideas, but why guess when we have The Man? :) )

Also, why the rear-firing tweeters? (I suspect the usual reasons, but see above...)

Finally, any color besides black, Mr. Ford? ;) I didn't see reference to anything else on the product page or brochure.

Darn impressive speakers, BTW! - Don

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow, takes me back to the IRS days... Gary, why the different amp ratings for tube and SS? (I have some ideas, but why guess when we have The Man? :) )

It's got to do what what happens with the different topologies, dipping impedances and sensitivity. 60W is "enough" (given that SPL goes down only 3dB for a doubling of distance with the line-source) to get to 98+dB at normal seating distance, but I want to keep away from clipping with the SS amps, so recommend a larger SS amp than a tube amp which clips "soft".

If the owner really wants to damage his hearing, 500W ought to be able to do it (118+dB) - then double for safety with SS. With the crossover and everything, that should still be within the safe operating limits of the midrange for peaks and crescendos. However, operating at a continuous 118dB for a long enough time is likely to melt the ribbon and damage the hearing.

I always tell my dealers to sell the speakers to music lovers - those who want detail, not just loud. If they want loud, sell them a pair of JBLs or Burmesters.

Also, why the rear-firing tweeters? (I suspect the usual reasons, but see above...)

The speaker is a true dipole from about 110Hz up. The midrange ribbon fires front and back. The rear-firing tweeters are out of phase to the front firing tweeters.

Finally, any color besides black, Mr. Ford? ;) I didn't see reference to anything else on the product page or brochure.

Unfortunately, due to the material I make them out of, black is the only color I can make them at a reasonable price. Unlike a painted finish, high molecular weight surface hardened cast acrylic is only available in black or clear. In clear, it doesn't look very good..... you see all the joints and glue.

Darn impressive speakers, BTW! - Don

Thanks, if I can get a room large enough for this RMAF (or find a Colorado dealer who has a room large enough), I'll bring a pair and you can listen to them.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks, Arthurs. I'm still trying to find a good dealer in your area who isn't already too invested with loudspeakers.

Yes, that was the best of the previous models with the line-source/point source configurations. It started with the G-II.5 that had line source midrange with point-source bass and tweeters. The G300 and G350 had the same. The G350SE was the first with line source midrange, line source tweeters and point source bass. With that, seating height no longer became important (well, within reason).

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Thanks Gary! You know, I had overlooked the fact that the ribbon was a dipole, duh! Double-duh, since I own and love ribbbons, and dipoles!!! Aarrrgghhh....

There are a number of high-end dealers in Denver; hopefully one of them has a big room! Listen-Up and Cherry Creek Audio are a couple of fairly well-known ones. Well, to me, anyway. ;)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Many of us who have owned ribbons (or electrostats) and dipoles will never settle for anything else! Your Maggies, I'm sure, outperform most modern loudspeakers. Did you hear the new MG3.7? It's quite stupendous - a big leap over the MG3.6's that I still own.

arthurs

Sep 12, 2010
Denton, TX
Thanks, Arthurs. I'm still trying to find a good dealer in your area who isn't already too invested with loudspeakers.

Feel free to drop a pair in my room (it's not a bad room) for any and all to come demo in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area until you can find the right dealer Gary.... Hell, I won't even charge you for storage! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing