French Decca - circa 1977

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Greetings!

I was hoping with the vast experience of our forum members that some of your might be able to share your thoughts of the sound quality and pressing quality of the Decca Record Label made in France around 1977 for classical music?

Prices for titles that I'm looking at have been ranging $200- $300... pricey, but I'm not sure that indicates excellent sound quality or pressing quality.

Any help or advice you can share with me would greatly be appreciated :)

Best wishes,
Don

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Don, are these albums that are French pressings of British Decca titles or unique titles issued by French Decca? If the former, the prices look quite high for mid-late 1970's pressings. Original British Decca pressings from that era (toward the end of the analogue era) are typically a tenth of that price. I don't have any experience with the sonic quality of French Decca, but I have never heard that they were better than the British Decca, of which I am quite familiar. I don't have any experience or knowledge about original French Decca albums.

BTW, I am only talking about Decca classical recordings.

Larry

Last edited:

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Don, are these albums that are French pressings of British Decca titles or unique titles issued by French Decca? If the former, the prices look quite high for mid-late 1970's pressings. Original British Decca pressings from that era (toward the end of the analogue era) are typically a tenth of that price. I don't have any experience with the sonic quality of French Decca, but I have never heard that they were better than the British Decca, of which I am quite familiar. I don't have any experience or knowledge about original French Decca albums.

BTW, I am only talking about Decca classical recordings.

Larry
Hi Larry,

Thank you so much for your reply and sharing your experience with me. I believe that these are unique original titles issued by French Decca.
I understand that they are rare recordings, but I still feel the asking price is on the high side. I don't mind paying more (within reason) for great sound quality and excellent pressing quality... but I've never owned a French Decca record before and thought I should get a little more insight from other music lovers before considering dropping that much coin :)

Thanks again Larry! I hope others might be able to share their experiences with us as well.
Best wishes,
Don

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing