Focal Speakers..Specifically the Sopra No.2

krelldog

Apr 4, 2018
Would love some thoughts on these. I've read some great things about them. Anyone have any first hand experience with how they sound?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I listened to them when they debuted at Munich in 2016 (I think). I, personally, did not hear anything special.

Which loudspeaker is the similarly-priced Rockport equivalent?

zog

Oct 9, 2013
I have heard these. I can compare them to my Triangle Magellan Cellos. The short point is this: they are way better than the Cellos. Compared with Canton K3 they are similar, but I would say the Cantons are better. There is not much between them so if you prefer the looks of the Sopras that would, IMHO, be enough to sway me. Personally I prefer the look of the Cantons so, for me at least, it is a no-brainer to go for the Cantons.

More to the point is that I have had a decent audition with the Magico A3s. Admittedly this is a different presentation from the ported Triangle - Focal - Canton style. I had the opportunity to upgrade to the Sopras: I dangled and lost that opportunity. But now it is the A3 or nothing.

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
I auditioned them and found them to be very bright for my tastes and lacking in mid and low bass. The No.3’s were much better (although still too bright for me) even for the additional cost but are quite large. I would definitely audition the Magico A3s.

Members online

About us

• Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing