focal grande utopia em evo

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Has anyone heard the speaker. I find it very exciting. electric magnet woofer.
Type 4-way, floorstanding bass-reflex loudspeaker Drivers Electro-Magnetic 16" (40cm) 'W' woofer Multiferrite 11" (27cm) 'W' midbass 2 Power Flower 61/2" (16.5cm) 'W' midrange drivers with TMD suspension and NIC magnet IAL2 pure Beryllium inverted dome 1" (27mm) tweeter Frequency response (+/- 3dB) 18Hz - 40kHz Response at - 6dB 14Hz Sensitivity (2.83V / 1m) 94dB Nominal impedance 8 Ω Minimal impedance 3 Ω Filtering frequencies 80Hz / 220Hz / 2,300Hz Recommended amp power 50 - 1,500W Dimensions (H x L x D) 7913/16 x 253/4 x 345/8" (2,012 x 654 x 880mm)
OPC+ filtering › Extreme bass to the extreme treble integral adjustments › 1458 possible adjustment combinations › Audiophile type components › WBT connectors
Focal grande Utopia.jpg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
UK
Has anyone heard the speaker. I find it very exciting. electric magnet woofer.
Type 4-way, floorstanding bass-reflex loudspeaker Drivers Electro-Magnetic 16" (40cm) 'W' woofer Multiferrite 11" (27cm) 'W' midbass 2 Power Flower 61/2" (16.5cm) 'W' midrange drivers with TMD suspension and NIC magnet IAL2 pure Beryllium inverted dome 1" (27mm) tweeter Frequency response (+/- 3dB) 18Hz - 40kHz Response at - 6dB 14Hz Sensitivity (2.83V / 1m) 94dB Nominal impedance 8 Ω Minimal impedance 3 Ω Filtering frequencies 80Hz / 220Hz / 2,300Hz Recommended amp power 50 - 1,500W Dimensions (H x L x D) 7913/16 x 253/4 x 345/8" (2,012 x 654 x 880mm)
OPC+ filtering › Extreme bass to the extreme treble integral adjustments › 1458 possible adjustment combinations › Audiophile type components › WBT connectors
View attachment 84566

Have heard it in show conditions (not the Evo version but previous version). Last time I heard it was with Naim statement electronics - sounded meh to me there but accept it at a show. Sound was very jumbled - drivers all sounded very discontinuous and bass boomed likely due to poor room.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Thanks. on hi-fi, it usually doesn't sound good, rarely heard a good demonstration. I will visit this shop when Corona allows it again.

listen to Fieldcoil bass

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
The Stella Utopias also have field coil bass drivers,
13.5 inch instead of the Grande Utopias' 18 inchers.
They're pretty epic☺

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Have heard it in show conditions (not the Evo version but previous version). Last time I heard it was with Naim statement electronics - sounded meh to me there but accept it at a show. Sound was very jumbled - drivers all sounded very discontinuous and bass boomed likely due to poor room.
Interesting...I have heard the Focal Evo Grande Utopia EM...also with Naim Statement electronics...led by the late Gerard Chretien who led Focal Audio at the time. He was very patient, passionate and clearly focused on not only playing each track at the right volume, but in answering everyone's questions thoughtfully. A really great opportunity to hear them and have an opportunity to listen to Gerard though I did not have long to stay.

Overall, I found the speaker did have prodigious bass, more powerful than the XLFs sounded in the same room with the D'Agostino Momemtum monos using the same track. It was also clear they had done 'something' to try to control that much bass and it was largely but perhaps not perfectly successful owing to the room? Not sure.

More than the bass, however, my primary impression was that I did not find the presentation as supple, nuanced as I would have liked...instead feeling a little terse to me. Not sure why I had that impression...stiff, bit dry? Something.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
So many people who witnessed the Naim - Focal demos were similarly unimpressed.
It's inescapable that they were not a successful pairing. A number of dealers have visited here expecting to sell me replacement speakers as a result. All were shocked how good the Wavac - Boulder - Focal combination was, on one occasion the speakers they had brought to display remained in the van. Imho Naim electronics just aren't playing st the same level.

I understand Focal's Evo revisions were intended to make them a better match for Naim amplifiers. I should imagine that means they are less transparent, would be very interested to hear the views of someone familiar with originals and the Evo revised model.

Grande Utopias would be on my shortlist if, or when i get a room big enough.
But the Stellas really are more than enough in my current room.

Reactions: Coimbra

Coimbra

Dec 26, 2019
Portugal
Do evaluate Hifi products under show conditions more or less is impossible. I own a Focal Grande Utopia EM and find it with Gryphon Pandora together with Gryphon Mephisto Solo very exiting. Bass is very balanced, BE tweeter a dream. The presentation is powerfull but nuanced, detailed and for shure not dry.
Martin

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Naim amps always sound dry to my ears

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Do evaluate Hifi products under show conditions more or less is impossible. I own a Focal Grande Utopia EM and find it with Gryphon Pandora together with Gryphon Mephisto Solo very exiting. Bass is very balanced, BE tweeter a dream. The presentation is powerfull but nuanced, detailed and for shure not dry.
Martin
THAT...I could believe. My sense at the time (having hear the Focal Grande EMs a few times since with different amplification but never for lengthy periods) was that the speaker itself was very well designer...overall a bigger/more powerful sound than the XLFs which we own. For some reason, the combination I heard that evening (Naim Statement and Focal Grande EM) just did not work (for me) that day (and in a room I knew well having auditioned equipment at my local dealer's place for 10 years).

OTOH, being an enormous fan of Gryphon, I could imagine it has ample power to control/drive the big Focals and given its voicing (as a former owner of 3 Gryphons incl Mephisto Stereo)...I could well imagine it makes magic.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Enjoy!!!!! Fantastic system!

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
a friend of mine used to have this speaker. it’s ok but nothing extraordinary. on the other hand a couple of my friends used to have the lower model Stella and I can say it’s a very very fine speaker. Stella has lots of gimmicks too including electro magnetic woofer.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing