FLEETWOOD MAC RUMORS LP VARIATIONS? FOUND STRANGE DEADWAX???

gprippers

Apr 27, 2020
HELLO ALL!
I found a Fleetwood Mac Rumors album that had some different dead wax/matrix markings that ive never ran into before that said " BSK-1--3010-WW2 FM TEST" and then smaller neater letters "MASTERDISK"

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i have an original pressing of Rumours that is really amazing. i had to buy 10 early pressings to finally land the right one. mine has 'MASTERED BY CAPITOL' in the dead wax.

but i do have a fantastic 15ips 1/4" master dub with a different version of 'Go Your Own Way' on it with a couple of extra banjo flourishes. maybe for alternate markets they released different versions?

you might compare that cut to another copy of Rumours and see if they are the same.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Mike, you're a proponent of the Hot Stamper pov?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
So Mike, you're a proponent of the Hot Stamper pov?

i found that over 10 years ago. i've only chased original pressings in a few selected cases. it's a lot of work. when i got that tape i decided to see how close the vinyl could get to the tape. this pressing gets way closer than any other (but still clearly short). the 45 reissue's (there are a couple) sound like crap in comparison.

Rumours is an amazing recording.....and a favorite of mine. 'Gold Dust Woman' might be in my top 5 pop songs of all time.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I would love to hear the "ultimate" Hot Stampers of Who Sellout and Tommy. The upper end air and acoustic vibe on these two recordings just presses my buttons every time.
Re Tommy, I have an original UK Fast Track pressing, and a Japanese one I never ended up playing. Maybe now's the time.

gprippers

Apr 27, 2020
Mike
I did find a reasonably priced copy of the variant you talked about above so hopefully it sounds as good as yours does! thanks for the help on that one!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Aren't the tracks on Rumours digital recordings?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Aren't the tracks on Rumours digital recordings?

it's a 1976 recording, and 1977 release. there were a few digital recordings happening then, but mostly classical. sure sounds analog to me.

here is what Wiki says....
Recording occurred in a six-by-nine-metre room which included a 3M 24-track tape machine, a range of high-quality microphones, and an API mixing console with 550A equalisers.

that's all analog gear. and the 15ips master dub i have seems absolutely analog to me.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Mike, for researching this!

I know where I went wrong: A company named Nautilus released an LP of Rumours which that company, for some silly reason, digitally remastered and then cut to vinyl.

Last edited:

MikeHorns

Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles
HELLO ALL!
I found a Fleetwood Mac Rumors album that had some different dead wax/matrix markings that ive never ran into before that said " BSK-1--3010-WW2 FM TEST" and then smaller neater letters "MASTERDISK"

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

The "FM TEST" "MASTERDISK" was mastered by none other than the great Robert Ludwig(RL inscription on one side). It is an 80s white WB shield reissue label, which in my opinion sounds as good(although a bit different) as the "earliest" Ken Perry mastered palm tree label with promo sticker. I bought more than 30 copies in the 90s for $3 or less just to find the best sounding Rumours. o_O

R-12348096-1534064887-4440.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: andromedaaudio

MikeHorns

Jul 6, 2014
Los Angeles
Thank you, Mike, for researching this!

I know where I went wrong: A company named Nautilus released an LP of Rumours which that company, for some silly reason, digitally remastered and then cut to vinyl.

Nautilus was also mastered by Ken Perry, but with early digital chain.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Nautilus was also mastered by Ken Perry, but with early digital chain.

Does anyone have a Nautilus Rumours. I find it strange that on my copy, the cut 'Dreams' seem to sound a but dull and not as lively as the rest of the tracks.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing