first post - Shunyata PC question

PieterM

Sep 13, 2014
I would appreciate some guidance with the following.

I have an Audio Research Reference DAC playing to a Reference 75 amp, paired with Avalon Ascendants. I am planning to upgrade the power cables.
What I am trying to compare is the alpha series with higher end pythons or anacondas.

(1) would it be sensible to use an alpha digital on the DAC (for noise reduction) combined with a python or anaconda on the amp for max musicality?
(2) or would the end result be better with pythons/anacondas only?
(3) the Reference Dac combines a DAC with preamp in one. Does anybody have any experience whether the Alpha digital or alpha analog would be the better cable for the Reference DAC?
(4) if the alpha analog would be the better fit: do I understand correctly that in that case I would be better off by choosing pythons or anacondas over the alpha analog (whereas that is not so clear with the alpha digital, given that cable's noise reduction capabilities)?

Sorry for asking 4 questions in 1. Thank you very much for any advice given.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I have an Audio Research Reference DAC playing to a Reference 75 amp, paired with Avalon Ascendants. I am planning to upgrade the power cables.
What I am trying to compare is the alpha series with higher end pythons or anacondas.

(1) would it be sensible to use an alpha digital on the DAC (for noise reduction) combined with a python or anaconda on the amp for max musicality?
(3) the Reference Dac combines a DAC with preamp in one. Does anybody have any experience whether the Alpha digital or alpha analog would be the better cable for the Reference DAC?
(4) if the alpha analog would be the better fit: do I understand correctly that in that case I would be better off by choosing pythons or anacondas over the alpha analog (whereas that is not so clear with the alpha digital, given that cable's noise reduction capabilities)?

Welcome to WBF

Hopefully Caelin, who is a member here will chime in

My personal experience is the new Alpha series is that it is as good or better than even the Anaconda. BTW I have both in my system..
I will be adding the Analog to my already Digital and HC PC's.

I would suggest the analog for your preamp and the Digital for your DAC

PieterM

Sep 13, 2014
Thank you Steve for your reply. I have read and learnt a lot from your posts with regard to these PCs.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thank you Steve for your reply. I have read and learnt a lot from your posts with regard to these PCs.

I can tell you that I have tried all of the above mentioned cables in my system. The Alpha digital is quite special and for the price IMO can't be beaten.

PieterM

Sep 13, 2014
BTW you have a very nice system and should post it in the members' gallery

Have you considered Shunyata ALPHA HC for your amp

That's a good idea, I will have a go at the gallery tomorrow (it is past midnight here in the netherlands ;)
The Alpha HC is definitely right there with the other candidates (anaconda/python) which I hope to audition and compare soon.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com

The ALPHA SERIES power cables are part of our "distributed power conditioning" approach to power systems. All power supplies generate noise that is kicked back onto the power line which affects all the other components connected to that power line. The cables use filters that are specifically tuned to the type of noise that is generated by different power supplies including linear supplies and switched mode supplies. Additionally, digital components generate frequencies in the megahertz to gigahertz range that may also infect the power line. The ALPHA cables intercept noise at the IEC reducing the noise that might be transmitted to the power distributor or power line. We call this concept CCI or component to component interference. The filters are not reactive and do not adversely affect the operation of a components power supply. Neither do they impact DTCD (dynamic transient current delivery) since they do not utilize coils, transformers or baluns.

You can learn more about DTCD AND CCI by watching the following short videos. Only about 4 minutes each.

DTCD: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M-xkQZ4qlDc

CCI: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cYCEFwK8pDg

We will be announcing the SIGMA SERIES of power cables that will be above the ALPHA SERIES in performance. These will also have three different versions each designed for a specific type of component - digital, analog and high-current. This series will replace both the Python and the Anaconda in our current lineup.

PieterM

Sep 13, 2014
Dear Calin,

May I first of all compliment you with the way Shunyata as a whole and you especially are approachable and open to your customers. I do think this is quite special when compared to other brands out there. And thank you for your answer.

I have two questions left.

(1) do you know of any experiences with the ARC Reference DAC (would it benefit most from the technology in the alpha (or sigma;)) digital or analog cable?
(2) you may not be at liberty to say, but can you give any guidance as to when the sigma series will launch?

Thank you.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi Caelin
Any approximate time lines for the Sigma line of power chords ? I have a pair of mismatched power chords on my Wavac mono blocs, a Python Zitron and a Cardas GR and am in the process of acquiring a pair of Anaconda Zitrons when I saw your post. Will appreciate your inputs
Regards
Pradeep

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
What model Ideal power line tester did you use in one of the videos?

It is a SureTest analyzer. It measures voltage and distortion in addition it also measures impedance of each of the three wires including the hot, neutral and ground. It is very helpful in analyzing dedicated line installations. It is also good to know what your actual impedance to ground is through any specific power circuit.

The ASCC test means "available short circuit continuity". This test is important in commercial electrical installations. The safety ground's purpose is to prevent electrocution if a component or appliance becomes faulty where AC voltage comes into contact with the chassis. The ground wire must has sufficient surge current capacity to exceed the rating of the circuit breaker so that it will flip when a component has shorted out. This is also why you should NEVER defeat the ground connection to a component with a cheater plug. It is potentially dangerous and could cause electrocution.

The ASCC test will let you know what the absolute maximum instantaneous current carrying capacity is for a specific power circuit.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Dear Calin,

May I first of all compliment you with the way Shunyata as a whole and you especially are approachable and open to your customers. I do think this is quite special when compared to other brands out there. And thank you for your answer.

I have two questions left.

(1) do you know of any experiences with the ARC Reference DAC (would it benefit most from the technology in the alpha (or sigma;)) digital or analog cable?
(2) you may not be at liberty to say, but can you give any guidance as to when the sigma series will launch?

Thank you.

I am a fan of Audio Research and own many of their products including the CD8. I currently am using a prototype Sigma Digital on it with great results. The Alpha Digital is also quite an improvement compared to a conventional cable.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Hi Caelin
Any approximate time lines for the Sigma line of power chords ? I have a pair of mismatched power chords on my Wavac mono blocs, a Python Zitron and a Cardas GR and am in the process of acquiring a pair of Anaconda Zitrons when I saw your post. Will appreciate your inputs
Regards
Pradeep

The Anaconda and Python cables should be available at relative bargain prices.

The SIGMA SERIES cables will be available this month. We are waiting for some packaging materials and the first shipment will out in a couple of weeks if all goes well. We already have pre-orders to fill which will consume the entire first production run of 100 cables. We will be running overtime to meet the initial surge of demand so be patient if you order one.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Caelin
Many thanks. Kudos to you, Samuel and Shunyata for your excellent customer service which is equal to the quality of your products
Cheers
Pradeep

PieterM

Sep 13, 2014
I am a fan of Audio Research and own many of their products including the CD8. I currently am using a prototype Sigma Digital on it with great results. The Alpha Digital is also quite an improvement compared to a conventional cable.

Caelin, thank you very much for your info.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The SIGMA SERIES cables will be available this month. We are waiting for some packaging materials and the first shipment will out in a couple of weeks if all goes well. We already have pre-orders to fill which will consume the entire first production run of 100 cables. We will be running overtime to meet the initial surge of demand so be patient if you order one.

Great news. When will you have European versions? What is the expected price?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Great news. When will you have European versions? What is the expected price?

The EU cables will be available to the distributors this month. When they reach their respective markets is up to the distributor. UK versions will be available by November. Aussie versions with the new CopperCONN pure copper AC plug will be available before the end of year.

SIGMA DIGITAL and ANALOG US will be $2495 retail
SIGMA High-Current will be $3495 retail

Prices in other countries will be higher due to customs and VAT, of course.

ellevoid

Jun 6, 2014
Hi Caelin, I'm looking to improve my power system and have some question.
If Alpha and Sigma are noise reduction power cord then do we still need to use power conditioner like Triton or Hydra AV?
Or PS8 is good enough if I use Alpha or Sigma pc for my system?

Last edited:

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Hi Caelin, I'm looking to improve my power system and have some question.
If Alpha and Sigma are noise reduction power cord then do we still need to use power conditioner like Triton or Hydra AV?
Or PS8 is good enough if I use Alpha or Sigma pc for my system?

First and foremost you need to understand that there is no real world "perfect power" noise solution. Noise reduction is always incremental and proportional. You cannot simply turn noise off. It is constantly being generated by the audio and video components themselves and then there is noise from the power grid. The challenge is to reduce noise as much as possible without significantly decreasing DTCD (instantaneous current delivery). Poor DTCD performance radically affects audio components with significant reduction of dynamics causing a compressed and diffuse sound quality.

Even power regenerators are quite susceptible to CCI (component to component interference). Watch the video on our website: DPC-6 Test for a demonstration of CCI.

We approach this problem with a "distributed power conditioning" solution. This includes power cords that are specifically designed to intercept noise as it exits the power supplies of the components. Then, there are noise reduction technologies in the power distributors including MPDA (multi-phase differential array) and NICs (noise isolation chambers). Then there is the Venom Defender that can reduce noise at the wall outlet for stand-alone or remotely located components. We also recommend whole house surge protection at the electrical panel for the most effective surge protection.

Yes, the Venom PS8 is a good platform to build a power system. It has exceptional DTCD performance and is very reasonable in price. With NR (noise reduction) power cords like the Venom Digital, Alpha Series or Sigma Series CCI is significantly improved. Then you can use a Venom Defender into the PS8 for noise reduction at the distribution center.

Obviously, a TRITON and TYPHON with patented NIC technology will further improve noise performance but at a very significant cost over the PS8.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing