Field Coils for Audio Systems

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Have I heard the field coil 215-2000 exc? No I haven’t but cone geometry and design is identical other than magnet so, while exc version might sound more pure in some way, the high frequency extension shouldn’t change. I can tell you that the bass quality and punch from this driver is very good in a TQWT cabinet (the guy in the video used Supravox designed cabinet just like mine).
It is not issues per se, it’s just physics. An 8 inch driver will beam like hell at high frequencies. It’s fine for some and at least it isn’t nasty in the highs like most Fulleange drivers with a Whizzer cone.

Look at the Cessaro Opus-1 speaker. They have their own version of the Supravox 215-2000 Alnico (they still use the original in the Wagner) and they also choose to match it with a horn tweeter (same with Wagner). A good compression driver to my ears just sounds more realistic up top in a good horn (probably where your ALTECs are letdown).
I recently built a TQWT cabinet for the 6" PHY driver and it worked surprisingly well. That kind of cabinet seems to get the most bass extension out of a driver, if its an appropriate driver.

Every 'full range' driver is beamy! Any successful design is going to incorporate a tweeter, even if the tweeter is firing up or to the rear. You need something to maintain off-axis tonality and room energy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing