Experience with Burmester 911 as monoblocks

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Hello,
My living room is 19 x 24 feet x 15 feet high. I'm very much enjoying my present system, and am considering adding a 2nd 911 into the system. My gear is all inside a cabinet, so there are space limitations. If I added a 2nd 911, there would only be 1-2 inches of space above each amp. Does anyone have experience comparing the 911 as monoblocks vs stereo configuration?
Were the changes subtle or dramatic?
I appreciate any advice.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Thanks, Mark and Ked!

Hi Kippyy, in the context of your current speakers, I would definitely consider adding another 911 in mono configuration not because a single 911 cannot drive the speakers but the gains from adding another amp are considerable in my view. Please note however that the value one would ascribe to the gains is subjective.
With the addition of the second amp, I found the presentation is more relaxed, especially at lower volumes. The bass is tighter with better dynamics. The biggest gains are in the soundstage width, depth and layering in my view.
However, if I were you, I would consider upgrading the pre-amp as well.

Have fun!

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
Sujay,
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I’ll consider upgrading the preamp first, then have a listen to a second 911.

Reactions: sujay

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Sujay,
Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I’ll consider upgrading the preamp first, then have a listen to a second 911.
Excellent. I had the 035 before I went upto the 088. The uptick in my view is substantial. Will be good to hear your update.......

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
I own the 911's monos and at my ears are one of best of the best power amp that money can buy at any price level. With 808 mk5 preamp and digital source 069 with power supply unit, a trio that Will be musically in the heaven.

Reactions: hogen

Hamburger

Nov 6, 2018
Thanks, Mark and Ked!

Hi Kippyy, in the context of your current speakers, I would definitely consider adding another 911 in mono configuration not because a single 911 cannot drive the speakers but the gains from adding another amp are considerable in my view. Please note however that the value one would ascribe to the gains is subjective.
With the addition of the second amp, I found the presentation is more relaxed, especially at lower volumes. The bass is tighter with better dynamics. The biggest gains are in the soundstage width, depth and layering in my view.
However, if I were you, I would consider upgrading the pre-amp as well.

Have fun!

Hi Sujay,
Are your 911s (A) originally configured as mono-blocks, or (B) two stereo sets with the special jumper cables?
Do these two different combinations of (A) and (B) give the same level of performance, as a pair of mono-blocks?

I have a stereo 911 now, wondering if to buy another one too...
Thanks.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi Sujay,
Are your 911s (A) originally configured as mono-blocks, or (B) two stereo sets with the special jumper cables?
Do these two different combinations of (A) and (B) give the same level of performance, as a pair of mono-blocks?

I have a stereo 911 now, wondering if to buy another one too...
Thanks.
Hi, mine are 2 stereo amps connected externally with the mono adapter. In my view it provides greater flexibility if you ever want to sell them individually as stereo amps.

While I haven’t heard the internally bridged 911 monos, I am told by Burmester themselves that there is no difference in SQ, whatsoever.

Hope this helps

Best

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing