Estelon Extreme A work of art

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Has anyone heard the Estelon Extreme. The two models I have heard are very very good. I just wondering how the Extremes will rate compared to the current bunch of super high end speakers .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Has anyone heard the Estelon Extreme. The two models I have heard are very very good. I just wondering how the Extremes will rate compared to the current bunch of super high end speakers .

Hi...this came from one of the other threads (Munich 2014)...in fact, I asked the question as well, and this was Barry's response:

They were playing Pictures at an Exhibition when I heard it and it sounded beautiful. The soundstage was deep and full extending way back from the speakers with all the separate parts of the orchestra clearly delineated and in the right places. A very musical and involving sound. It has a diamond tweeter so treble was very clear with no hint of harshness. It was a realistic, well resolved and natural sound with none of the artificiality that seems to come with some of the other high systems I heard.
The exhibitors had to switch off and unplug all their equipment at the end of each day so none of them were properly warmed up and they will obviously sound even better when played without that handicap.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hi...this came from one of the other threads (Munich 2014)...in fact, I asked the question as well, and this was Barry's response:

Thanks for the reply I hope I get to hear them some day. I thought they should be be special after hearing the other two models my dealer has.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for the reply I hope I get to hear them some day. I thought they should be be special after hearing the other two models my dealer has.

Definitely post if you do...I have also heard very good things about Estelons.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's a work of something...

The look not your cup of tea Mep. The two models I heard were very good and yes a bit of a SiFi look. I will admit 6D speakers are not something I have a lot of time with I can not think anyone would not think this is a good brand after hearing them.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
These estelons were in the room with the Vitus at Munich. I have heard another Vitus Estelon (smaller speakers, the 27k range) at Windsor, UK last September. That sounded better, probably because of the room. This one was good too, that front part for the midrange can be moved up and down by a remote, so you can adjust the speaker vertically rather than only along the floor to suit your room

Attachments

• Estelon.jpg
    Estelon.jpg
    470.8 KB · Views: 1,245

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
A better view...

1532011_699843013405579_7925468390792423857_n.jpg

Lotus

Jun 22, 2013
www.lotushifi.co.uk
No vested interest (not one of my brands) but I had the standmounts on extended loan recently and they were absolutely stunning. Ultra transparent and they totally disappeared. Tone, balance, driver integration also spot on. Would love to hear the Extreme.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had an opportunity to hear the Extremes. I also had an opportunity to meet Alfred, the designer and founder of Estelon and his 2 daughter who I believe work in the business and who kindly walked thru the Extremes in some detail, demonstrating how it is designed and works to adjust to a room. All very passionate about audio and about their design.

The Estelon design (to me a non techie) seems to reflect some key design priorities: adjustability to the room for speaker-room interaction (5 vertical for tweeter thru mid bass and 3 horizontal for tweeter dispersion), narrow baffle with curves and a marble composite material to help eliminate the cabinet vibration or cabinet presence near the cones, and finally the latest diamond and ceramic drivers to ensure as pistonic performance under duress as possible. The final element is that Alfred separated the cabinet into 2 parts which are inverted and sit atop each other with connections that absorb and help isolate vibration from traveling between the two. ( the bottom cabinet also sits on 5 custom Stillpoints Ultra 5s by the way).

By having the dual bass drivers in the bottom cabinet, cut off above 70hz he felt the frequency we cannot locate are stationery...while the frequencies above this can move up or down with an automatically adjusting curvature to the the height adjustment to keep the speaker cones in proper alignment at all times. focal and Wilson I think have something similar.

I think what I enjoyed most about the sound (ML amps, Vitus CD) was that it reflects something I have observed about really only the very latest generation of speakers...a true lack of mechanical hash, noise...which presumably is driven by wanting to match the recent jumps in electronics and isolation. The noise floor was very impressive and the speaker also reflected another attribute I see relatively more often now in cone speakers...coherence.

Really very special..though no doubt it helped to have Alfred himself tuning the speaker.

I think the amplification may not have been what they wanted to show with the speakers but the venue was not entirely in their control...I would have loved to hear what these speakers can do with massive Vitus amps in terms of all out dynamics.

Priced well below XLFs in his country (140k vs 225k) I think all out dynamics was really the only element where I don't know if I heard the full measure of the speaker to my satisfaction. I would love to hear it again with huge full Vitus setup to be sure since that was apparently their original plan for demonstration.

I could certainly see someone settling into this speaker for a long long time. It gets out of the way, exceedingly quiet, very coherent such that I enjoyed both macro and micro dynamics in the music without any sense of emphasis or bias in the speaker.

Last edited:

Lotus

Jun 22, 2013
www.lotushifi.co.uk
Extremes @ London

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Lloyd.
I spent a couple of hours listening to them in the afternoon and and I found your review very accurate.
Played Let it Bleed, Nashville Skyline - The Girl from the North Country with Dylan and Cash was awesome, Modern Cool and Julia Fischer Bach Partitas and Sonatas and they were extremely impressive on all the tracks. As you say the venue's restrictions on cabling etc meant that we were not able to hear them at their very best and I am in no doubt that with better cabling and amplification they would be up there with the best and very competitively priced.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, I think price must be taken into consideration here, because in a way they are in between the Maxx 3s of this world and the uber Q7, Arrakis, Genesis of this world. This pricepoint (140K) is occupied by the limited edition Magico M7s, Gryphon Pendragons (at least here in UK)...its a funny one once currency and cross-border pricing comes into effect.

A pair of SF Strads is GBP32K or something in UK (Sasha territory??) but its north of $50K in the US (Alexia territory) which really skews decisions and people's determination of the 'value' of the speaker.

Back to Estelons, I will say that I would probably take them over the mighty Maxxes, after of course spending much more time with them...just an instinct at the moment. The other one, the Gryphon Pendragon, I have not heard, but as 4-tower speakers that harken back to the IRS V and Genesis 1s...I would guess that is quite a competitive price-performance package at least here in UK/Europe.

Again, assuming the standard currency gross up in the US, the Estelon Extreme and Pendragon would be north of $200K in the US making them more the competitor of the XLFs there...(btw, XLFs are USD$380K in UK).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing