Ellington - Jazz Party (in Stereo?). Your Favorite Copy? Compared 45s?

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
If you have a favorite copy of this album please share which one it is.

I'm also interested in how the (currently out of print) Classic 45 compares to the (currently in print) ORG 45.

Thanks,
Dre

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
If you have a favorite copy of this album please share which one it is.

I'm also interested in how the (currently out of print) Classic 45 compares to the (currently in print) ORG 45.

Thanks,
Dre

It's better, IMO. Hard to explain the differences. I prefer the Classic 45. I also have a NM original in mono. That too sounds great. I listen to this album quite often. I also found that the classic 45 is better than the ORG 45 for "Love for three oranges suite" also.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
It's better, IMO. Hard to explain the differences. I prefer the Classic 45. I also have a NM original in mono. That too sounds great. I listen to this album quite often. I also found that the classic 45 is better than the ORG 45 for "Love for three oranges suite" also.

Thanks Christian.

I think I have a local friend that may have the Classic 45 reissue. I'll have to check with him and see.

Anyone else have comments?

Dre

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
You won't like my comments. I have both the Classic 45 and the ORG 45, but the one I always gravitate to when listening for pleasure is this one.... It took me a long time to hunt down. Ever since MikeL played it for me in his room, it's been one of my favorites. I also understand from friends I trust that the mono pressing is more musical - but only in a mono dedicated arm/cart. Bruce B now has the Philips Mono that I found. Both 45's are more dynamic and quieter, with the Classic sounding a bit more "musical", but for pure pleasure, I listen to the 6-eye.

Best Sleeves 3.jpg

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hmmm...I have both the (US) mono 6 eye and (Canadian demo pressing) stereo 6 eye and recall preferring the stereo. I have a hazy remembrance of playing these at Mike L's and preferring the Classic 45. "Sounds" like we should do a shoot out...

Last edited:

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
You won't like my comments. I have both the Classic 45 and the ORG 45, but the one I always gravitate to when listening for pleasure is this one.... It took me a long time to hunt down. Ever since MikeL played it for me in his room, it's been one of my favorites. I also understand from friends I trust that the mono pressing is more musical - but only in a mono dedicated arm/cart. Bruce B now has the Philips Mono that I found. Both 45's are more dynamic and quieter, with the Classic sounding a bit more "musical", but for pure pleasure, I listen to the 6-eye.

Gary, How could I not like your comments? I asked for them. Thanks for posting.

Is this a 6-eye demo I'm looking at?

Interesting comment on the ORG vs. classic 45 of Jazz Party. With some other pressings, I've found the ORG reissues to be the more "musical" while the Classic reissues would be described as somewhat more "detailed". I don't really think those terms describe it but I'm going with the flow for now. This makes me want to get my hands on the Classic 45 of Jazz Party even more.

Dre

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Hmmm...I have both the mono and stereo 6 eyes and recall preferring the stereo. I have a hazy remembrance of playing these at Mike L's and preferring the Classic 45. "Sounds" like we should do a shoot out...

Go for it!

Please share your report with us if you do.

Dre

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
No surprise that different people will like different pressings. I have a CL 180 gram 33, and the CR test pressing 33. I like the test pressing a little more. I suspect I would like the CR 45 more than the test pressing but have not compared the two.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary, How could I not like your comments? I asked for them. Thanks for posting.

Is this a 6-eye demo I'm looking at?

Interesting comment on the ORG vs. classic 45 of Jazz Party. With some other pressings, I've found the ORG reissues to be the more "musical" while the Classic reissues would be described as somewhat more "detailed". I don't really think those terms describe it but I'm going with the flow for now. This makes me want to get my hands on the Classic 45 of Jazz Party even more.

Dre

Dre, because it's a lot of work to track another copy down. Yes, it's a 6-eye promo. The 6-eye mono promo has red-on-white print. It took me over a year to track these down. The mono was thrashed, but the stereo plays extremely clean.

I too find that sometimes the Classic re-issues too "clean" and too detailed - almost etched, like the music has been "sharpened". However, in this case, I preferred the Classic as more preferable to listen to. However, in the past 3 years, I've almost given up on buying re-issues, and spend my time/money hunting down originals.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
As Gary stated, I have both the mono and Classic 45's. I've heard that the 33's are quieter but don't have them to compare. Don't think you can beat a good pressing of the mono!

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
No surprise that different people will like different pressings. I have a CL 180 gram 33, and the CR test pressing 33. I like the test pressing a little more. I suspect I would like the CR 45 more than the test pressing but have not compared the two.
As Gary stated, I have both the mono and Classic 45's. I've heard that the 33's are quieter but don't have them to compare. Don't think you can beat a good pressing of the mono!
Thanks Sean and Bruce

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Dre, because it's a lot of work to track another copy down. Yes, it's a 6-eye promo. The 6-eye mono promo has red-on-white print. It took me over a year to track these down. The mono was thrashed, but the stereo plays extremely clean.

I too find that sometimes the Classic re-issues too "clean" and too detailed - almost etched, like the music has been "sharpened". However, in this case, I preferred the Classic as more preferable to listen to. However, in the past 3 years, I've almost given up on buying re-issues, and spend my time/money hunting down originals.

Gary, That's no problem. I have plenty of vinyl to keep me busy until a good/better copy show's up. When I spot a 6-eye promo I'll give it a try.

Dre

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Gary, That's no problem. I have plenty of vinyl to keep me busy until a good/better copy show's up. When I spot a 6-eye promo I'll give it a try.

Dre

what's the diff with a 6 eye promo mono original and a regular 6 eye mono original ? I have both, but my white and red label promo is not as good condition as my standard 6 eye mono...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
OK guess I'm the odd man out when it comes to the sound of this performance.

I never have and just don't get it. Every once in a while, I pull Jazz Party off the shelf (either the ORG or Classic) and hope the sound has changed; no such luck. The top end on this recording is really, really tipped up and bright and screams to be played back on a phono section with a Columbia EQ curve.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
OK guess I'm the odd man out when it comes to the sound of this performance.

I never have and just don't get it. Every once in a while, I pull Jazz Party off the shelf (either the ORG or Classic) and hope the sound has changed; no such luck. The top end on this recording is really, really tipped up and bright and screams to be played back on a phono section with a Columbia EQ curve.

It's on the edge...I agree but doesn't fall off in my system. Clear as a bell that recording.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It's on the edge...I agree but doesn't fall off in my system. Clear as a bell that recording.

Christian: I'm curious. Have you played it on the Clearaudio vs. the AF1?

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

I agree with Christian - I don't find that the top end is bright, even without the Columbia EQ curve.

OT - getting the M2Tech Joplin was quite the revelation. I know that to many it's taboo, but this is a ADC with built-in equalization curves. In addition to RIAA, it includes 18 other curves from Columbia, Victor, Decca, etc. etc. It also has three built-in curves for direct tape head recording. After hearing what it can do for some old albums I have, I'm going to have to go back and re-digitize some of my older albums.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
what's the diff with a 6 eye promo mono original and a regular 6 eye mono original ? I have both, but my white and red label promo is not as good condition as my standard 6 eye mono...

I don't have the mono promo. The white/black stereo promo was way better than my standard 6 eye stereo because most of my 6-eye stereos were VG+ to VG++. The stereo promo I got played NM. It also sounded more dynamic and I know that compression wasn't used in those days, but it sounded less compressed. Overall, played a bit softer but peaks sounded louder.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing