Electrical Power - Dedicated Runs

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
S. FL
We are considering purchasing some MTRX2 monos. They each need a 30A dedicated circuit. MSB states the following:

MSB’s recommended wiring

◦ 1 to 40 feet: 10 gauge wire
◦ 40 to 60 feet: 8 gauge wire
◦ Over 60 feet: 6 gauge wire

The 8 gauge (or 6 gauge) requires a jump-down back to 10 gauge using a junction box, somewhere just before the outlet because the largest wire that will fit in an outlet is 10 gauge. Install one dedicated line for all front end equipment, and one for each amplifier. If you must feed old branch circuits off one of these outlets, it is not absolutely necessary that your audio lines are dedicated lines as long as the wire path at the outlet you are using goes directly back to the breaker panel using 10 gauge or heavier wire. The circuit can branch to other outlets from your audio outlet if necessary. (some people won’t agree with this).

Has anyone else here run 6 gauge wire stepped down to 10 gauge wire? If so, how is it’s performance?

Vince Galbo’s article: How to Wire your House for Good Power?

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 24, 2014
I'll be really interested in the answers you get. I ran a dedicated line for my system but, only needed 20 amp circuits and ran 10 gauge wire approximately 35 feet.

Reactions: Audire

MarkusBarkus

Feb 7, 2021
...I have dedicated home-run lines in 12ga. Romex and 10ga THHN in flex metallic conduit. "Currently" everything is on the 10ga. with a TT7.

In the next few days I will run a #6 cable for the gear. This cable and the outlet was purchased from Jim at Sound Application (TT7).

The run is about 35'. The impedance differences among the cable sizes is significant. My goal is always: speed. Good Luck!

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
S. FL
Thanks MarkusBuckus.please let us know how that works out. I’ll check Jim at Sound Application website. Thanks.

I should have stated that I already have dedicated circuits in 10 gauge run. But to my understanding that is the minimum for 30A. They are also on the same phase.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
S. FL
I'll be really interested in the answers you get. I ran a dedicated line for my system but, only needed 20 amp circuits and ran 10 gauge wire approximately 35 feet.

From my understanding and reading Vince’s article I think you are good to go as long as everything is on the phave. But I’m not an electrician, so hopefully one will give some advice for both of us.

Reactions: Pacha

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Unfortunately the Vince Galbo article is just his recommendation, without any quantitative recommendation that could endorse his arguments.

In doubt I would blindly follow the amplifier designer advice. He knows his amplifiers power supply requirements better than any of us.

Alrainbow

Dec 12, 2013
NYC , USA
We are considering purchasing some MTRX2 monos. They each need a 30A dedicated circuit. MSB states the following:

Has anyone else here run 6 gauge wire stepped down to 10 gauge wire? If so, how is it’s performance?

what voltage ? is the power cord factory installed so non removable ? my ml no 33 qmps are rated at 27 amps 120 volts at 1200 watts . i use 6 gauge wire tailed to 12 gauge to single hospital grade 20 amp outlets . the size of the conductors is important but so is the ground wire size and how its implamented . lastly while its safe to say its his view its more safe to say listen to him . years back he wrote an article on power and grounding all he said not only makes sense but is in part whats needed . i am a lisc PE electrical eng and lisc elctrical contractor vince is a good man to follow .

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
S. FL
what voltage ? is the power cord factory installed so non removable ? my ml no 33 qmps are rated at 27 amps 120 volts at 1200 watts . i use 6 gauge wire tailed to 12 gauge to single hospital grade 20 amp outlets . the size of the conductors is important but so is the ground wire size and how its implamented . lastly while its safe to say its his view its more safe to say listen to him . years back he wrote an article on power and grounding all he said not only makes sense but is in part whats needed . i am a lisc PE electrical eng and lisc elctrical contractor vince is a good man to follow .

Thanks. The EMM MTRXs that I’m considering come with a Kimber power cord. It’s a very nice one and it’s performing well. But I like Shunyata better - if they make such a cable.

The amps are 1000 watts into 4 ohms. It has a 30A 250V 3-pin, IP44, IEC60309 type power inlet. The manual does say, “For maximum power each MTRX2 should be configured and installed on its own dedicated 230-240VAC circuit.” I’m not sure how difficult that would be to put into the panel. That’s all I know.

Thanks again. Your post is very helpful. It confirms as another post did that I can combine the 6 gauge and the 10 gauge (which is already run).

Here‘s their manual if it helps: EMM manual

Last edited:

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015

No … but I ran three 10-gauge dedicated wire runs (about 75 feet) to my dedicated audio outlets for about 6 months … then reran it with twisted 8-gauge and I immediately heard the difference. Fuller, clearer, better everything …

I had very noisy power FWIW … quite the project

Avidlistener

Feb 19, 2013
Can you tell us more about the 8 gauge ? We’re you using a sub panel, or was it stepped down?

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Direct from the house main power … dedicated electrical sub-panel … into two power transformers in series … separate dedicated ground rods … out to the audio outlets.

Now the audio circuit is split off from the noise of the house electric … followed Vince’s white paper.

My electrician was ready to shoot me by the end but it was well worth all his hard effort. We listened to Fleetwood Mac when it was all done and even he immediately appreciated the difference!

Attachments

• 3350ACCF-6972-414E-9D78-D825A35112FE.jpeg
    3350ACCF-6972-414E-9D78-D825A35112FE.jpeg
    532.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 73166D0C-8631-428A-A4A1-321AD808FA69.jpeg
    73166D0C-8631-428A-A4A1-321AD808FA69.jpeg
    523.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 37325C8B-6030-4E19-8426-28E6E65B2697.jpeg
    37325C8B-6030-4E19-8426-28E6E65B2697.jpeg
    611.6 KB · Views: 16

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing